Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
You can scan and mark up directly from the files app- if you didn’t know. It’s very practical and saves having to use multiple apps.
Is there a way to do this and not have the files be outrageously large? Every time I do this my files end up being multiple megabytes. If I use JotNot they're like 1/20th the size.

Reactions: ericwn

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Me too! When I'm working I want a larger screen. How do you envision that working? Like a widescreen version of the iPad home screen, and the iPad mirrors the widescreen the way Macs do?
I think at the very least it would just extend the iPad screen and stretch to fit the screen ratio and resolution like the Macs do today. I would love for it to support the 2018/2020 iPPs and not be a 2021+ feature.

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
I think we need a Finder, the ability to download apps off the web (that are Apple notarized, like macOS), and pro apps. Besides that, iPadOS is pretty good! At least it’s better than chromeOS in my opinion. Add these in and people are going to start ditching their PCs.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Apple will keep iPadOS castrated by purpose to force you to also own a MacOS device.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
More freedom with keyboards.
Better external display support (at least external display exclusivity).

For me to consider the iPad as a real laptop replacement, I'd have to be able to run Mac apps on it and have a proper file system, so zero chance that will happen.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I would like to see more windows for more multitasking and more pro apps as that’s what people want to see

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
The biggest problem is the need to support the slower iPads with this mythical "MacOS on iPads" , the majority of the iPads sold today and that are in current customer hands will have a hard time running this "MacOS on iPads" OS , and this Apple will not allow (nor they should) ,so I wonder how will they have new Apps that push the new IPP but also block them from running on the lower end iPads.

Reactions: Wackery

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
The biggest problem is the need to support the slower iPads with this mythical "MacOS on iPads" , the majority of the iPads sold today and that are in current customer hands will have a hard time running this "MacOS on iPads" OS , and this Apple will not allow (nor they should) ,so I wonder how will they have new Apps that push the new IPP but also block them from running on the lower end iPads.
they can limit them, like they did in the past with side view, split screen etc based on the Ram.
that macOS on ipads should and will work with these new ones, 8gb ram and 16gb ram..or maybe, but just maybe those with 6gb ram

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Apple will keep iPadOS castrated by purpose to force you to also own a MacOS device.

Hence this conversation is about your realistic expectations for the next release and not the stuff you know won’t change.

Reactions: loybond

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I would like 3rd party web browsers to be allowed to actually be proper third party browsers. As in not have to use Safari's WebView with a crippled JavaScript engine and be able to access API's and content blockers the same way Safari can in iOS. Maybe that way when Apple advertises the iPad as perfect for "creatives", Web Designer / Developers like me could consider looking at it for cross browser testing (that way we might start developing quality apps and shift focus away from Mac only).

Oh yea, and it's 2021. The fact iPadOS Safari doesn't come with developer tools really is an insult. The web is open source, yet if you own a tablet, you literally have to struggle with limited (paid) tools to get a limited peek at what should be open to the public.
Thats a great idea, and it would also solve my complaint of not having a full desktop browser. If Safari doesn't give me what I need, Firefox or Chrome likely would! I wonder if there's any chance of this happening.

I'm not going to get this but here is what it will take for me to drop the amount of money they're asking for for an iPad Pro:

1. Universal Mac/iPad apps
2. Fully developed file system
3. Ability to import and export files from native apple apps (i.e. music & tv app)
4. Ability to edit metadata for music, video, and documents.
5. Real multitasking
6. Full window customization. I want to be able to have 3-4 apps in the foreground and choose how large each window is.
7. Full printer support
8. Full external monitor support. Preferably 2 monitors, but I'd settle for just extended mode in 1 monitor.

Easiest way to do this? MacOS. Best way to do this? Full rewrite of iPadOS. This thing is so powerful and versatile that the OS should no longer be an enlarged version of iOS.
You know it seems the set of stuff we all want is largely similar. You'd think Apple would listen, or over time, the iPad Pro sales will decline. At this price point, and the current functionality, the iPad Pro really is a luxury purchase for most (because they'll need another Mac). When I sold my 2020 12.9" I was surprised at how long it took. There weren't that many interested buyers. In the end, a guy bought it for his kid. Normally iPhones and Macbooks sell the same day for me.

#1 would make so much sense. I'm sure a system could be worked out to adapt apps to different displays and click/touch points. #2, 3 and 4 people have been clamouring for since forever, they really should add it. We still need to connect the iPad to a "real" computer for this? #5 and 6 would, as you said, probably require a rewrite and a rethink of what the iPad actually is. #7 they could add easily. #8 requires a strategy, but it needs to come, otherwise why even have such a powerful port? Realistically we might see something towards #2, #5, #8 but probably not to the extent that you want.

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
FL
I would like to see file name extensions by default. Something equivalent to the Finder where it's easy to see a listing of file names, types, size, creation date without having to tap back and forth on each file to compare them and try to recall which was which.

Reactions: PennHunter

iMacPad

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2021
extending the ipad screen to an external display using resizeable windows und floating iphone apps for a more desktop like experience.

Reactions: Wackery

thefourthpope

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
For me to consider the iPad as a real laptop replacement, I'd have to be able to run Mac apps on it and have a proper file system, so zero chance that will happen.
You’re not the only one posting this, so please don’t take it as a dig at you. But it feels to me like this equates to “to replace my laptop, it needs to be a laptop.” But with some changes to workflows the iPad can really do just about everything. The workflows are different — and sometimes a genuine pain — but workarounds typically exist.

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
You’re not the only one posting this, so please don’t take it as a dig at you. But it feels to me like this equates to “to replace my laptop, it needs to be a laptop.” But with some changes to workflows the iPad can really do just about everything. The workflows are different — and sometimes a genuine pain — but workarounds typically exist.
i agree. However, only the Air and the Pro can serve as one.

Reactions: thefourthpope

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I’d like real external monitor support. We saw this in last week’s keynote with the Pro Display and the M1 iPad Pro, I think, but it’d be nice if other iPads had this functionality using other displays.

I’d also like the missing iOS stock apps to get iPadOS (and macOS) versions. Specifically Health, Fitness, Weather, Wallet, Phone, and Translate. I’d actually use them all, a lot.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I’d like real external monitor support. We saw this in last week’s keynote with the Pro Display and the M1 iPad Pro, I think, but it’d be nice if other iPads had this functionality using other displays.

I’d also like the missing iOS stock apps to get iPadOS (and macOS) versions. Specifically Health, Fitness, Weather, Wallet, Phone, and Translate. I’d actually use them all, a lot.
Health should always have been there, for sure, and the others too. Phone... thats probably a near 0% chance of getting imo.

Reactions: boston04and07

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Proper computer like multi tasking, macOS software support, proper mouse support and mouse cursor, last but not least - proper external monitor support just like in normal computers.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I want the iPad to remain its own thing and not to emulate MacOS, but to bring across the missing functionally for most usual tasks, so a Mac is not also required to fill in the missing functionality. Such things as format external storage, compress Pages documents and upload music to iTunes as examples. Then I can go 100% iPad Pro instead of 95% as now.

Reactions: thefourthpope

trip1ex

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2008
proper external monitor support so when I need a big screen I don't need another device.

improved multi-tasking. it's pretty clunky right now to to go multi-window (side by side) and it should better play stuff in the background.

FCP on iPad Pro would be great if it means I don't have to rebuy it.

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Health should always have been there, for sure, and the others too. Phone... thats probably a near 0% chance of getting imo.
My thing with the phone app is that, it’s nice having continuity phone calls come through, but I think it’s clunky having that baked into the FaceTime app. Most of my family doesnt even know that it’s there. I’d like something with a dialer, a separate missed call list that doesn’t include FaceTime calls, and access to voicemails via iCloud. I mean, phone calls have already been a part of the iPad for a long time now - these things would just round it out. But I’d picture this as being something for iPhone users, not like a standalone phone service for the iPad. Just a nicer, more functional version of what we have now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.