Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
In the activity monitor you should be able to see which processes are using the CPU, so there's no need to guess what is causing your problems.

If you use Time Machine it will back up everything that isn't a system file, so if you do a complete restore from a backup then you would run the risk of experiencing the same issues if is indeed a specific piece of softare that's causing issue. On the other hand doing a clean install and restoring from Time Machine may still help as it ensures that you are starting over with a clean slate. My method is usually to do a clean install, restore documents and other files that I need, and only install software that I need when that need arises. It's easy to fill a computer up with old software remnants if you go years without doing a fresh reinstallation.
I don’t know how to do a time machine back up and from what you say it runs the risk of adding in bad programs.
All I want is to have my Adobe programs when I do an install. Is this possible.
I need to do an install today. I’ve lost days now with no real working computer. I’m in safe mode now.
Ill try Catalina.
What is the best way to do this?

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Here is a good "How-to-do-Backup" Tutorial

From Apple:

A good version with more than one external HDDs for ultimate security of data:

Thanks. I’ll check.
What if I just do a factory reset for now and stick with High Sierra. Just to rid my max of whateve damn program is slowing it down. I will just have to manually install all my programs again. Would that be easier?
Tbh I don’t have much on my max. Most of it stored on external. Of my 1tb SSD I have 720gb spare. So maybe I just to a factory reset? For now. ?

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
When I do a time capsule Backup on my Mac AND do a complete reinstall, I usually do manually backup the most important data manually as well. Because in case there is a problem with the backup, I can do play back data manually as well. That gives you an additional layer of safety. Here is a short description which data to save:

Reactions: mrk123

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Thanks. I’ll check.
What if I just do a factory reset for now and stick with High Sierra. Just to rid my max of whateve damn program is slowing it down. I will just have to manually install all my programs again. Would that be easier?
Tbh I don’t have much on my max. Most of it stored on external. Of my 1tb SSD I have 720gb spare. So maybe I just to a factory reset? For now. ?
Sure, you can do that. Once you have backed up all folders and/or did a timecapsule backup, you can just do a restore of your High Sierra. Once you did that, just use the DosDude1 install to install Catalina and you will have a brand new system with newer MacOS all around such as newer Safari, Mail and newer updates on MS Office versions or other Adobe versions that received updates you don't have currently because of your older MacOS. Make sure you also save Serial codes for Software packages. Usually software asks you for your serial code, once your Mac has been restored.
If you don't have those serials, you need to get those again if you did not save them or if your serials / passwords are stored on your backup.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
When I do a time capsule Backup on my Mac AND do a complete reinstall, I usually do manually backup the most important data manually as well. Because in case there is a problem with the backup, I can do play back data manually as well. That gives you an additional layer of safety. Here is a short description which data to save:

Just looked at time machine and got so far as select drive as there was no drive to select. So gave up. Some things just not meant to be and im
At end of my tether now. Even the post where I don’t mind wasting 3 hours installing the same apps because a time machine won’t work.
I just want a working machine again. My time is being wasted by the minute.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Sure, you can do that. Once you have backed up all folders and/or did a timecapsule backup, you can just do a restore of your High Sierra. Once you did that, just use the DosDude1 install to install Catalina and you will have a brand new system with newer MacOS all around such as newer Safari, Mail and newer updates on MS Office versions or other Adobe versions that received updates you don't have currently because of your older MacOS. Make sure you also save Serial codes for Software packages. Usually software asks you for your serial code, once your Mac has been restored.
If you don't have those serials, you need to get those again if you did not save them or if your serials / passwords are stored on your backup.
I have all my files on my external. Just my creative apps like Adobe which are ‘old school’ if you catch my drift. I’d need to manually add them. Which is fine if it gets me a working max again.

Best way to factory restore is via the mac itself ? As in system requirements ?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I’d hate to get a 2016 MBP and then it’s slow as hell
Cause I’m stuck with 8gb ram and 256gb.

Don't worry about it being 8GB RAM. An 8GB M-chip is nothing like an 8GB Unibody MBP. I took an 8GB model of the original 13" M1 MBP out as a test drive when my 32GB 2018 i7 Vega20 was getting repairs.

That 13" mini-beast completely held up against my far better spec'd regular machine and I'm running virtual servers, compiling software, and editing RAW photography. I even reserved 2GB for Windows some of the time. I only had 6GB to use at times and it did fine for all normal usage.

I'm suspecting you won't be doing anything nearly as intense as my workflow, so you've got nothing to worry about. Just go get a used 8GB MBA or MBP. You won't be missing anything.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Don't worry about it being 8GB RAM. An 8GB M-chip is nothing like an 8GB Unibody MBP. I took an 8GB model of the original 13" M1 MBP out as a test drive when my 32GB 2018 i7 Vega20 was getting repairs.

That 13" mini-beast completely held up against my far better spec'd regular machine and I'm running virtual servers, compiling software, and editing RAW photography. I even reserved 2GB for Windows some of the time. I only had 6GB to use at times and it did fine for all normal usage.

I'm suspecting you won't be doing anything nearly as intense as my workflow, so you've got nothing to worry about. Just go get a used 8GB MBA or MBP. You won't be missing anything.
Maybe one day soon I can get an M1 or something but I’m going to persevere with this 2011. Loads of life left in it. Just needs to get rid of this rogue program which has caused major issues.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Maybe one day soon I can get an M1 or something but I’m going to persevere with this 2011. Loads of life left in it. Just needs to get rid of this rogue program which has caused major issues.

Perfectly fine approach too! I still have a 2009 that I've leaned on occasionally as a backup option. Once I dropped an SSD into it, it became a perfectly workable computer for everyday computing.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Erased SSD with AFPS as it was, then went back to reinstall high Sierra and pressed continue and it sort of did nothing for 40 seconds and then a pop up come up on Jay said ‘the recovery server could not be contacted’.

I am using my iPhone to tether mobile internet as I won’t have wifi password till 4 hours from now as someone has password. Is this the reason??

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
How are you connecting to the phone? Not sure if Recovery supports USB networking so if you are tethered using a wired USB connection that could be the issue. If you set up a Personal Hotspot using your phone you can probably connect using WiFi?
Guy who has password for our wifi is not back for another 3 hours. So I have no way of getting on wifi. Will need to wait and see if once connected I can get it sorted.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Hello.
Help.
So got on wifi this morning. Loaded up my Mac and about to install High Sierra. But it’s now saying or offering me OS Lion. ?! 2011! I can’t go back there.
How can I opt to get High Sierra on?? It was on it last time. Like a few days ago.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
If you need a cheap Mac with a lot of RAM, go with a 27 inch iMac. I bought my 2015 for $200 with 32 GB of RAM, Apple keyboard and Mouse about 8 months ago. Yes, it's tied to a desk but it might be enough combined with your old MacBook Pro. You can generally put 32 GB of cheap RAM in 2010-2015 MacBook Pros. I think that you can put in 64 GB in the 2017 and 128 in the 2019 and 2020 models but the latter three are more expensive on the used market.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
If you need a cheap Mac with a lot of RAM, go with a 27 inch iMac. I bought my 2015 for $200 with 32 GB of RAM, Apple keyboard and Mouse about 8 months ago. Yes, it's tied to a desk but it might be enough combined with your old MacBook Pro. You can generally put 32 GB of cheap RAM in 2010-2015 MacBook Pros. I think that you can put in 64 GB in the 2017 and 128 in the 2019 and 2020 models but the latter three are more expensive on the used market.
Nah I need a MacBook. Portable.
Just need to know why it’s now only allowing me to install LION

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
What is the best and easiest way to get High Sierra on my 2011 now.
It appears to be forcing me to add LION OS. I want High Sierra. Yesterday it was offering me High Sierra. I am
Not sure why now the day after it is only giving me High Sierra.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
What is the best and easiest way to get High Sierra on my 2011 now.
It appears to be forcing me to add LION OS. I want High Sierra. Yesterday it was offering me High Sierra. I am
Not sure why now the day after it is only giving me High Sierra.
That's kind of normal. Every Macbook has a certain number of MacOS iterations that it's supporting. In general there is a number of years how long an Apple device is supported on the software end. It's about 7 years. After that, Apple stamps it as "Vintage" which means no official support is available any more. You need to google or Wiki your Apple MacBook Pro Serial to know how long it was supported and when that support has ended.
Thanks to this great forum and private developers like DosDude1 and OpenCore Patcher, it was possible to enhance and stretch this lifecycle and add many years to its usage to older devices. If your system says the last supported MacOS is Lion, then its Lion. At this time it really doesn't matter much. According to Apple, your device should be buried deep somewhere in Africas e-waste dumps for at least 7 years now.
On the development of those hacks to allow you to use your device so much longer, everything started with DosDude1. Parallel to that, OpenCore was developed. It is indeed advised at this point in time to use Open Core if you want to use the latest Mac OS. I did recommend DosDude to you, because it is very convenient and very easy. Open Core is better, newer but also a bit more cumbersome to install in my opinion. If you are fine with Catalina, just go with that one.
However, a full year ago I did switch from Catalina to Monterey and I am very happy with the performance, because they finally got around the GPU Nvidia 300M problem.
So its up to you. But since you are used to High Sierra, I thought Catalina would be fine and very easy to install.
If you want to jump on Monterey, just use the link above from the other guy.
So, just install what ever your system tells you and upgrade it with the Catalina DosDude1 patcher. That's what I would do for a start. Later on, if you want Monterey, your still have the option to go and use OpenCore if you need to.
Good luck with your installation.

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I have got into internet recovery CMD OPT R and can now get High Sierra. The issue now is it’s saying cannot find server. I have tried to change the date in terminal but the date is set to today. Shouod it be an older date? I still can’t install high Sierra.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
I have got into internet recovery CMD OPT R and can now get High Sierra. The issue now is it’s saying cannot find server. I have tried to change the date in terminal but the date is set to today. Shouod it be an older date? I still can’t install high Sierra.
This happened to me as well. The reason this happens is, that Apple usually change their Servers during such a long time. (your device is from 2011 - a whopping 13 year old device). I would advice to download HighSierra first onto a separate HDD or onto your MacBook Pro first. Once you have HighSierra, you can install it from there. Here is procedure you can follow:

But you can also do a mutable flash drive. That's also a very good foolproof method, that works:

Hope this helps

mrk123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
How can I download high Sierra if I can’t log onto my computer.
Do you mean download high Sierra and put on a flash drive and manually install with that? I’m not very tech strong and just want to quickly install from how it is now. From my screen in recovery mode ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.