Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
the biggest feature for me would be if they removed Stage Manager from Ventura and find a better solution later on.
The other new features are welcome additions i'm perfectly fine with - Stage Manager: not so much.
Like Launchpad, it is not required to be used.

I feel much the same about Spaces, while I know that some find it useful, it was never more than a hindrance to me and I stopped using it.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
i fear it might be just another app that's still eating system resources, even when disabled.
that's ok for good new features, i just don't think that it's actually a very good solution and yet another (fifth way actually) of trying to fix something, that other OSes do much better with one, or maybe 2 solutions.
Even Apple seemingly didn't deem it worthy for MacOS since 2006 or so, put it into iPadOS so that people stop complaining for such a feature, and simply slap it onto MacOS because it's a very easy port and a new feature to "brag about" for a new annual MacOS version

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
For people like my girlfriend who just doesn't want to use spaces no matter how many times I point out the workflow. She'll have 10 apps open and is always shuffling windows around, perhaps she'll like stage manager.

Myself, I use spaces and full screen apps. I close what im not actively using. Stage manager won't see much usage.

tomtad

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2015
One thing that's really annoying me with Stage Manager is the resizing wf windows. As soon as you turn it on the windows now shrink to show the strip on the left hand side, so you adjust them and then randomly they'll shrink every now and again.The initial behaviour at least seems to be intentional but it's annoying. Hopefully we get an option soon to change this.

The other thing that's bugging me is how full screen apps interface with Stage Manager. In a full screen app I keep hovering my mouse over to the left to view the strip then realise I'm full screen so have to swipe over to the desktop to then see the strip and switch window. I feel there should be an option to show the strip even in full screen windows to bring everything together.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2018
When you have more than 2 desktops, you have to swipe multiple times to get there and it's annoying to go back and forth.
The other option is to go to Mission Control and then click on the desktop you want to go in, but it's still a lot more steps than just switching groups on the Stage Manager.

But you can disable it if doesn't benefit to your workflow. Personally I'd sacrifice some screen real estate for the convenience of quickly switching between groups.
My point exactly, having to swipe constantly until you're at the right space is annoying. to to mention Mission Control has become a lot worse ever since Apple removed app icons as well as hid the spaces at the top, making it harder to find your apps and spaces.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
My point exactly, having to swipe constantly until you're at the right space is annoying. to to mention Mission Control has become a lot worse ever since Apple removed app icons as well as hid the spaces at the top, making it harder to find your apps and spaces.
I find the exact opposite to be true. Swiping up and selecting whatever app I want to move to, or simply swiping 2-4 times has been the perfect workflow for me. I don’t mind the icons not being there at the top because I know which space is what. Not sure what’s gotten worse, as I’ve been using this workflow for quite some time with no issues…

Reactions: altaic

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
As someone who uses an iPad as a primary device some of the time, and a Mac other times, making them work more like one another is welcome for me.

Reactions: Jeff Kirvin

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
As someone who uses an iPad as a primary device some of the time, and a Mac other times, making them work more like one another is welcome for me.
I agree. Having the same '3 finger swipe up' gesture on both macOS and iPadOS is great. And although Stage Manager works fine on iPadOS (from what I've seen anyway.. My 2018 iPad Pro 11in doesn't support it), it seems very disruptive for me on macOS on my M1 2020 MBP. I'm glad we all have another 'desktop' like option, though.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
I'll be p*ssed off if this jumble of icons on the LH side of the screen they call Stage Manager eventually replaces Spaces, because I find Spaces very useful as someone with only one screen.

That would be operating system suicide 😂

Stage Manager so bad, and ugly, if you open more than 4-5 apps and minimize them you can’t even see what’s open unless you look at the dock. Might as well use dock duh.

Reactions: MajorFubar

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
I mostly navigate my spaces via CMD+Tab. Gives me a row of running app icons and switches to the space when I select one.

Reactions: R3k

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I use the top-left "hot corner" to open mission control. Whereas the 4-finger swipe up thing just shows "Desktop 1", "Desktop 2" etc., the hot corner shows thumbnails of all the spaces.

I keep trying Stage Manager but I always revert back to just using my spaces. I run some apps (Mail and Firefox for example) zoomed in their own space, and Stage Manager keeps shrinking the windows.

Reactions: rehkram and gank41

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
I use the top-left "hot corner" to open mission control. Whereas the 4-finger swipe up thing just shows "Desktop 1", "Desktop 2" etc., the hot corner shows thumbnails of all the spaces.
that's likely an artifact of your cursor being at the top of the screen. When 4-finger swiping, if you move your mouse to the top, you'll also see the thumbnails of all the spaces. For testing this, you can set the hot corner on a bottom corner and the thumbnails will not show up :)

On the plus side, your way is a single action (move to hot corner) vs 2 (swipe, move cursor).

Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
that's likely an artifact of your cursor being at the top of the screen. When 4-finger swiping, if you move your mouse to the top, you'll also see the thumbnails of all the spaces. For testing this, you can set the hot corner on a bottom corner and the thumbnails will not show up :)

On the plus side, your way is a single action (move to hot corner) vs 2 (swipe, move cursor).
An artifact or not, I like it! But you're right - it's not related to the hot corner itself but where the cursor is when mission control is activated. Interesting.

Reactions: owidhh

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
i just tried it. The only advantage I can see of stage manager versus spaces is that it helps clean up the windows for you, so everything is not all over itself - but that’s about it. It helps simplify windows management if you have a lot going on and haven’t moved everything around I don’t want to. And it’s a button click so that’s kind of nice.

Much more useful on an iPad.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Here is my prediction. Spaces is going to go away at a time in the future. Stage Manager will replace it.
Has Apple removed any of the various launchers and window managers that they have launched? It seems like they launch them, some people adopt some of them and Apple never removes any of them.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
I decided to use Stage Manager for a while. I don't know if its any better than Spaces or using the keyboard shortcut key to show all open apps on the page. I do know that using Spaces is kind of a hassle as you then have to flip through your desktops to get to the one you want. I just hit the F4 key and select the app I need and it works fine. The one bonus to Stage Manager is that you have only one window open on the screen at a time versus having windows jumbled all over the screen behind the one you're using.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I guess they’re just not going to make everyone happy. I love being able to swipe thru 3-5 screens to get to whichever app I need. It’s a perfect solution for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.