Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
A good indicator for much Apple believes in Stage Manager could be present in the next round of MacBooks/iMac/keyboards. They will surely put such a feature as one of the Function key defaults. If it’s meant to be…

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
How does stage manager work when used with multiple displays? Is there 1 stage for all displays or separate stages for each display?

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Stage manager exists because Apple “crack marketing team” needed something to write about.

Seriously, with the amount on crap they’ve tacked on the past few releases, we really just need a macOS Pro release. Get rid of stage manager, notification center, control center, launchpad and all the emoji, memoji garbage. Give us the ability to completely remove pointless built in apps like stocks, weather etc.

A fast, stable core OS is all a lot of us really wish for.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgscheue

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I've been using Stage Manager for a week or so and I'm getting to like it. I'd like to see an option to resize the app icons in a similar way that desktop icons can be resized.

Reactions: Tagbert

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
5EEE528A-11A3-4F4F-9085-FE065CD709B5.jpeg

I think also, the naming is a good example of “Steve would never have…”

I mean seriously. It’s not a stage. It’s a desktop. And the desktop is inside Mission Control, allegedly.

Why they didn’t just add it to the Dock is beyond me.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
View attachment 2035322

I mean seriously. It’s not a stage. It’s a desktop. And the desktop is inside Mission Control, allegedly.

True.

I just tried SM for first time on multi monitor set up.

If you have ‘Hide Recent Apps’ enabled in SM prefs then SM can become unusable because the cursor can go straight from one monitor to the other monitor on the left side of the screen. Can’t bring up the minimized icons thing.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm not on the beta yet, but I've been paying attention to my use cases and I think I'd have a place for Stage Manager. I do use Spaces, but to me Spaces are for creating very distinct contexts - for example my work Space, my writing Space, my personal Space. Currently I use full-screen spaces for things like Music so when I'm working I swipe over to star rate a new song, etc.

I think in those instances Stage manager would work nicely in my flow. Have Music in a stage, have my browser in a stage, and then email and messages in a stage. I think it's less flow breaking than swiping and then Spaces can be used for large context shifts.

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
I've turned-off Stage Manager. It doesn't suit my workflow at all.

Same, will try it again in the next beta, but at the moment it's too much effort to use: opening new windows = new stage, many popups (e.g. copying files) = new stage, some bugs (which I've reported) related to some apps/windows being difficult to move around to stages together... I spend more time managing my windows than I do getting work done (exaggeration, but it's the opposite of what was promised). Need to leave more feedback about the overall flow, now that I've tried it for 3 weeks...

I *like* the idea of Stage Manager, it will need refinement though.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
View attachment 2035322

It's just a name. Steve also named a action "Expose" which is also just as bad. I will turn stage manager on just because I like my windows to be focused on just one window at a time. I don't like the clutter and Stage manager will slove that.

It does need improving.

afallnstar

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Seattle
Wasn't originally a fan of stage manager. Most of my testing was on a 16" MBP or docked to my Studio Display. But since picking up a MBA I've come to appreciate it. I think it makes managing multiple apps much easier on the smaller display. It's also less cumbersome than swiping to another space.

Reactions: rehkram and owidhh

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I find swiping between spaces to be a very logical and basic way to navigate full screen apps.

I applaud Apple for trying to create a new interface, but I find Stage Manager to be very cumbersome.
Agree. I run many of my apps "zoomed" (full-screen-ish with the dock and menubar visible), and swiping or ctrl-n between spaces is how I've managed this for ages. I also have apps I tend to run together set to open in a defined space.

Note, for those who don't know, you can put an app on the dock, right-click and "Assign To" a particular Space/Desktop, and then remove it again from the dock if you didn't want it there. It'll remember the setting.

So far, I have Stage Manager disabled but I tend to try it each beta release to see if the bugs/issues I've reported have been fixed.

Reactions: rehkram

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Note, for those who don't know, you can put an app on the dock, right-click and "Assign To" a particular Space/Desktop, and then remove it again from the dock if you didn't want it there. It'll remember the setting.
Strange, I'm not seeing that option when I try it

jasoncarle

Suspended
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
If Apple plans to replace Mission Control or Spaces, or both, with Stage Manager then they absolutely need a way to put two different apps on the same screen at the same time. Without this, I will not use it as it is far too much of a hassle.

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
If Apple plans to replace Mission Control or Spaces, or both, with Stage Manager then they absolutely need a way to put two different apps on the same screen at the same time. Without this, I will not use it as it is far too much of a hassle.
You drag icons or mini-windows from the Stage Manager sidebar into your current stage or view, now you have multiple apps on your screen at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.