Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgeraght

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
The most expensive new iPad 'PRO' 12.9 inch is $2,399.00

But for all that money....

- You cannot watch youtube and do ANYTHING else without paying google $11.99 a month. Some other apps are the same way, how did Apple allow third party apps to control the whole screen like this?? $2,399.00 for this...

- Almost no proper external monitor support, unless you like everything mirrored with black bars (some apps have great external monitor support, the list is tiny)

- External storage is just a pain, and some require plugging in to even work, for a portable solution? Even plugged in, try coping a large +5gb file, the feedback is terrible, did it work or not, what is the progress? Will new iPad have faster transfer speeds? (its an ipad, there is probably going to be some small print related to thunderbolt and power consumption)

- Magic keyboard is $300+, its a keyboard with a so-so small trackpad! and last years version still works, kinda, sorta, maybe, but not great, best to spend another $300+ this year. The first magic keyboard only came out recently, so 2018 ipad pro users who bought just last year, need to think about again, Apple didn't know a year ago about dimensions for this years iPad? really? Magic keyboard has no function keys that are standard on bluetooth keyboards for keyboard brightness, media controls, control center, but is $300+

- sidecar does not work when macbook pro is on cisco vpn, even when connected by cable, it is wifi only. On a 'PRO' device, when actually trying to work, using vpn.

- !00% useless for anyone interested in code development

I love my ipad, will not travel without it (but unfortunately not without a laptop either to fill the gaps that iPad cannot meet)

My main point.... It is so disappointing to see the growing in-balance for what the hardware can do versus software which seems to be going nowhere beyond what an iphone can do. Reading interviews from Apple executives this week, sounds like a continuation of the same for now,

Caveat... for graphic designers I guess ticks all the boxes and is 'PRO'... for anyone else, what makes iPad PRO and worth up to $2,399.00?

anyonas

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Anywhere
I use my Surface Pro 7 for remote desktop only, and it's kind of a worthless tablet. Replacing it with an iPad allows me to do the same, but have the best tablet experience.

The keyboard price is quite ridiculous, but beats packing an external keyboard along when on-the-road. I've got more expensive keyboards lying around.

As a programmer, it's only useful for shells, remote desktop and learning.

As a hobbyist artist, I'm tired of sitting at my desk all day, and want to have the best experience for practising my hobby.

It's also useful for D&D and media consumption in general.

Still does not justify the price, especially when you can buy a MacBook Pro and other iPad for the same price, but it's perfect for me as an addition to my workstation, and as a mobile on-the-road experience.

Remote Desktop works with an external display. See it as an expensive terminal ;)

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Your like a news site clickbait article, your quoting the most expensive device that’s for a very niche user and trying to apply to it everybody as the cost of entry. For $799 you can’t find a tablet that’s more capable than the 11‘. For $1099 you won’t find a better display yet alone processor than the 12.9. That’s what makes them pro. YOU might not be able to make use of a device but that doesn’t mean others can’t. In the end it’s just an effective marketing tool, pro means top of the line with Apple. Apple has had success with it and you can expect it to continue.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida

- You cannot watch youtube and do ANYTHING else without paying google $11.99 a month. Some other apps are the same way, how did Apple allow third party apps to control the whole screen like this?? $2,399.00 for this...

-
Heads-up……It doesn’t cost money to watch YouTube. I watch YouTube all the time on my iPad Pro and it doesn’t cost me a dime

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

- Almost no proper external monitor support, unless you like everything mirrored with black bars (some apps have great external monitor support, the list is tiny)

- External storage is just a pain, and some require plugging in to even work, for a portable solution? Even plugged in, try coping a large +5gb file, the feedback is terrible, did it work or not, what is the progress? Will new iPad have faster transfer speeds? (its an ipad, there is probably going to be some small print related to thunderbolt and power consumption)

- Magic keyboard is $300+, its a keyboard with a so-so small trackpad! and last years version still works, kinda, sorta, maybe, but not great, best to spend another $300+ this year. The first magic keyboard only came out recently, so 2018 ipad pro users who bought just last year, need to think about again, Apple didn't know a year ago about dimensions for this years iPad? really? Magic keyboard has no function keys that are standard on bluetooth keyboards for keyboard brightness, media controls, control center, but is $300+

- sidecar does not work when macbook pro is on cisco vpn, even when connected by cable, it is wifi only. On a 'PRO' device, when actually trying to work, using vpn.

I love my ipad, will not travel without it (but unfortunately not without a laptop either to fill the gaps that iPad cannot meet)

My main point.... It is so disappointing to see the growing in-balance for what the hardware can do versus software which seems to be going nowhere beyond what an iphone can do. Reading interviews from Apple executives this week, sounds like a continuation of the same for now,

Caveat... for graphic designers I guess ticks all the boxes and is 'PRO'... for anyone else, what makes iPad PRO and worth up to $2,399.00?

Blimey, "What's the point of Wheelchairs, because I can walk." ??

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Until it gets an OS with true multitasking with windows dragging ability I'm not buying it. Until then, iPad Air is good enough if you want a tablet. The PRO name should mean it can do "pro" things. The same with any Apple product.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Until it gets an OS with true multitasking with windows dragging ability I'm not buying it. Until then, iPad Air is good enough if you want a tablet. The PRO name should mean it can do "pro" things. The same with any Apple product.
It’s extremely tiring reading the same old stuff from people that don’t, won’t or can’t see that because they can’t change or adapt to something different, then no one else can. I do plenty of things on my ipad that earn me my substantial income as a pro photographer. So it looks like you are not correct in your generalisation.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

I want a 12.9" tablet, and that's what I bought. The Air doesn't provide that.

Reactions: Apple Mac Daz

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
As others have noted, this is completely untrue and written by one of the many people who have an inexplicable dislike to a certain product, and feel the need to tell everyone about it, even if it extends to outright lies. I guess that’s the world we live in though.

And if anyone is interested in an even better solution, go and grab PiPifier from the AppStore. With this tool you and have YouTube as a PiP and use any app you like. You can even swipe it off the screen if you’re listening and not watching.

Reactions: chabig

pbird

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2015
I prefer to use the iPad for almost everything except for coding. I just love the touch experience. It's the device I use the most By far. So I want the fastest one with the best screen I can get. The one drawback of working on the iPad with images and video's for me is that switching between app's often causes the app's to reload. I hope now with 16gb I will see less of that.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
It’s extremely tiring reading the same old stuff from people that don’t, won’t or can’t see that because they can’t change or adapt to something different, then no one else can. I do plenty of things on my ipad that earn me my substantial income as a pro photographer. So it looks like you are not correct in your generalisation.
Why would I want to adapt to something if it's not as good as some other solution. iPad may work for you if you're a photographer, but my workflow is based on at least two windows side by side with always present dock on the screen for manipulating and quick access to files. I can do all these thing on iPad, but it's not as quick and it's not comfortable. I tried to replace my computers with an iPad, but the workflow for me is more efficient with desktop like OS.

I'm not saying here that you should't use iPad Pros. I just expressed my opinion and experience on this.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's "pro" for me in that I wouldn't be satisfied using the other iPads that Apple sells for work.

Granted, my needs as a teacher aren't very heavy, spec-wise, and I could probably get by using an entry level iPad for notability, and light productivity and recreation. But everything in the iPad Pro is nicer. The camera is better (and I do a fair bit of photography and recording on my tablet). The screen is better. The chip is faster.

I don't mind paying for it, though I probably wouldn't get the maxed-out version.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Why would I want to adapt to something if it's not as good as some other solution. iPad may work for you if you're a photographer, but my workflow is based on at least two windows side by side with always present dock on the screen for manipulating and quick access to files. I can do all these thing on iPad, but it's not as quick and it's not comfortable. I tried to replace my computers with an iPad, but the workflow for me is more efficient with desktop like OS.

I'm not saying here that you should't use iPad Pros. I just expressed my opinion and experience on this.
I don’t think anyone is asking you to adapt to anything. Just continue using Macs and macOS! It’s all good.

By explicitly stating:

“iPad Air is good enough if you want a tablet. The PRO name should mean it can do "pro" things”

you certainly implied that people shouldn’t buy iPads pros and that an iPad Air is good enough.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Q. What makes iPad "Pro"?
A. Apple's marketing department. There is no universally accepted definition of "Pro". Like "Air", "Max", and "Mini", "Pro" is a marketing differentiator. Nothing more.

Q. What justifies the cost?
A. Customers. Apple charges what they do because there are long lines of people with money in hand shouting at Apple, "Shut up and take my money!".

For those of us who push tablets beyond media consumption (focusing on productivity rather than media creation), the iPad Pro is on the lower end of functionality. For productivity work, I am able to do quite a bit more with ChromeOS tablets and Android tablets (including the Amazon Fire tablets) than an iPad Pro.

In the end, each person needs to assess what their needs and wants are and see which available device meets those needs and wants the best within a target price range.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Q. What makes iPad "Pro"?
A. Apple's marketing department. There is no universally accepted definition of "Pro". Like "Air", "Max", and "Mini", "Pro" is a marketing differentiator. Nothing more.
I keep hearing this. Whilst you’re absolutely correct in that it’s a marketing differentiator, it’s incorrect to state it’s nothing more than that.

There are more advanced specifications and features that professionals in certain industries are looking for. An iPad Pro, for example, is of a much higher spec than an iPad Air or any other iPad, and has different features - professional artists and image editors would, and do certainly appreciate these specs and use these extra features - hence the term ‘pro’ is applicable.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
For productivity work, I am able to do quite a bit more with ChromeOS tablets and Android tablets (including the Amazon Fire tablets) than an iPad Pro.
What can a ChromeOS or Fire tablet do more for your productivity that an iPad Pro cannot?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What can a ChromeOS or Fire tablet do more for your productivity that an iPad Pro cannot?
I won't bore people with that in this thread, but you can search for my threads here on MR about the Fire HD 10, HD 8, and 7, and Pixelbooks.

I keep hearing this. Whilst you’re absolutely correct in that it’s a marketing differentiator, it’s incorrect to state it’s nothing more than that.

There are more advanced specifications and features that professionals in certain industries are looking for. An iPad Pro, for example, is of a much higher spec than an iPad Air or any other iPad, and has different features - professional artists and image editors would, and do certainly appreciate these specs and use these extra features - hence the term ‘pro’ is applicable.
You're free to think that "Pro" is something more than simply a marketing differentiator. There are plenty of threads, this one included, where people complain about the lack of specificity tied to the label... demonstrating that it really is and only marketing.

But then again, if one hasn't witnessed the "why do they call it "Air" when it is heavier and thicker than <xyz>?" I can understand why there's a belief in something "deeper". :)

Reactions: Digitalguy

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I won't bore people with that in this thread, but you can search for my threads here on MR about the Fire HD 10, HD 8, and 7, and Pixelbooks.

You're free to think that "Pro" is something more than simply a marketing differentiator. There are plenty of threads, this one included, where people complain about the lack of specificity tied to the label... demonstrating that it really is and only marketing.

But then again, if one hasn't witnessed the "why do they call it "Air" when it is heavier and thicker than <xyz>?" I can understand why there's a belief in something "deeper". :)
It’s not a belief in something ‘deeper’, what an absurd thing to say. I use mine to help make my living as a professional photographer. An iPad Air would work but the iPad Pro has appealing features that make it better to use in my very professional circumstance. It’s not exactly a hard concept to grasp- the better features tied to the iPad Pro make it more suitable for a professional to use.

rgeraght

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
As others have noted, this is completely untrue and written by one of the many people who have an inexplicable dislike to a certain product, and feel the need to tell everyone about it, even if it extends to outright lies. I guess that’s the world we live in though.

And if anyone is interested in an even better solution, go and grab PiPifier from the AppStore. With this tool you and have YouTube as a PiP and use any app you like. You can even swipe it off the screen if you’re listening and not watching.

Thanks! didn‘t know this app existed, just tried it and worked great in safari! I’ll use it going forward,

outright lies? are you serious?

PiPifier does not work with youtube app itself (It is a great safari workaround) and not all app’s have that safari option. I gave youtube an example and think my overall point still stands, it seems crazy that youtube/google can monitize a feature to just to allow you to use an their app and easily multitask with other apps, in a ‘PRO’ device you pay extra for (even base price).

I love ipad, but let’s have honest criticism so Apple can hear and improve,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.