Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgeraght

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Your like a news site clickbait article, your quoting the most expensive device that’s for a very niche user and trying to apply to it everybody as the cost of entry. For $799 you can’t find a tablet that’s more capable than the 11‘. For $1099 you won’t find a better display yet alone processor than the 12.9. That’s what makes them pro. YOU might not be able to make use of a device but that doesn’t mean others can’t. In the end it’s just an effective marketing tool, pro means top of the line with Apple. Apple has had success with it and you can expect it to continue.

it’s not clickbait just debate,

A base Mac mini is $699 with same M1 chip with 256GB storage, and all that MacOS can do

A 12.9 iPad Pro, M1 chip with 256GB storage, starts at $1,199. Yes it has best display, I already mention that hardware is incredible, point is that software is so far behind (except for graphic designers) what is the ‘pro‘ value for anyone else

I really hope Apple step up and deliver on software side, but honestly don’t see it this year, it is still behind last years iphone software update. If we don’t discuss pro’s and con’s Apple will just continue the same as before.

Reactions: Never mind

rgeraght

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
It’s extremely tiring reading the same old stuff from people that don’t, won’t or can’t see that because they can’t change or adapt to something different, then no one else can. I do plenty of things on my ipad that earn me my substantial income as a pro photographer. So it looks like you are not correct in your generalisation.

Well I did say… ‘Caveat... for graphic designers I guess ticks all the boxes and is 'PRO'

I really mean doing anything art/photo/graphic

my ‘generalisation’ is anything else

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
The Magic Keyboard is ridiculous in general. It's such a bad design. It's heavier than the iPad. It's not a keyboard really. It's a desktop docking station. My 12.9 is heavier than my old 13.3 MBP and is a good deal heavier than my MBA. And the MBA is cheaper (also with M1, 16GB RAM etc).
And while the battery runtime on the 11" is fantastic, the 12.9 last not as long as the MBA (let alone the MBP). I'm using the (2018) 12.9" Pro mostly as a 'desktop' or 'in bed with the magic keyboard' device. It's perfect for consumption, light use. Total waste of money that I won't repeat.

Reactions: Jamacfer

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
The Magic Keyboard is ridiculous in general. It's such a bad design. It's heavier than the iPad. It's not a keyboard really. It's a desktop docking station. My 12.9 is heavier than my old 13.3 MBP and is a good deal heavier than my MBA. And the MBA is cheaper (also with M1, 16GB RAM etc).
And while the battery runtime on the 11" is fantastic, the 12.9 last not as long as the MBA (let alone the MBP). I'm using the (2018) 12.9" Pro mostly as a 'desktop' or 'in bed with the magic keyboard' device. It's perfect for consumption, light use. Total waste of money that I won't repeat.
The base of the MK needs to be heavier or else it can't counterbalance the heaviness up top caused by the iPad. I think there was an X-ray image of the MK and there were iron or steel plates there. We can only assume why, but it would be a good guess to say that without the added weights, the keyboard would tip over easily every time you touched the screen.

Comparing it to the MBA isn't a fair comparison because they were made for two different reasons. The iPad Pro houses all its internals "in" the screen. The MBA houses it all in the keyboard and can put a larger battery there instead of metal plates. That's why the MBA can be lighter because it doesn't need to counterbalance a heavy screen full of internals.

So, it's not really a "bad" design than a necessary design.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
"Pro" is Apple's marking term for "nicer and more expensive." It was originally driven by special accessories, but as those have slowly trickled down the line, it's simply Apple's more expense option now and includes some additional niceties:

1. Larger display size (both 11" and 12.9")
  2. Pro-Motion and "XDR" display
  3. Quad-Speakers
  4. 5G capability
  5. "Thunderbolt" USB-C
  6. Dual camera lens and LiDar
  7. Capacity for 512 GB - 1TB storage
  8. Performance boost with M1 - in my opinion the first traditional "Pro" advantage this year given the M1's stellar performance and meaningful RAM bump
Whether those extras are worth the hefty asking price is up to the user. I could get by just fine on the iPad Air, but I buy the "Pro" because I keep my iPads for several years and it makes me happy. I have no "Pro" use case for it.

Indepenskter

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2019
The most expensive new iPad 'PRO' 12.9 inch is $2,399.00

But for all that money....

- You cannot watch youtube and do ANYTHING else without paying google $11.99 a month. Some other apps are the same way, how did Apple allow third party apps to control the whole screen like this?? $2,399.00 for this...

- Almost no proper external monitor support, unless you like everything mirrored with black bars (some apps have great external monitor support, the list is tiny)

- External storage is just a pain, and some require plugging in to even work, for a portable solution? Even plugged in, try coping a large +5gb file, the feedback is terrible, did it work or not, what is the progress? Will new iPad have faster transfer speeds? (its an ipad, there is probably going to be some small print related to thunderbolt and power consumption)

- Magic keyboard is $300+, its a keyboard with a so-so small trackpad! and last years version still works, kinda, sorta, maybe, but not great, best to spend another $300+ this year. The first magic keyboard only came out recently, so 2018 ipad pro users who bought just last year, need to think about again, Apple didn't know a year ago about dimensions for this years iPad? really? Magic keyboard has no function keys that are standard on bluetooth keyboards for keyboard brightness, media controls, control center, but is $300+

- sidecar does not work when macbook pro is on cisco vpn, even when connected by cable, it is wifi only. On a 'PRO' device, when actually trying to work, using vpn.

- !00% useless for anyone interested in code development

I love my ipad, will not travel without it (but unfortunately not without a laptop either to fill the gaps that iPad cannot meet)

My main point.... It is so disappointing to see the growing in-balance for what the hardware can do versus software which seems to be going nowhere beyond what an iphone can do. Reading interviews from Apple executives this week, sounds like a continuation of the same for now,

Caveat... for graphic designers I guess ticks all the boxes and is 'PRO'... for anyone else, what makes iPad PRO and worth up to $2,399.00?
Just say you can’t afford it and move on……it’s like when you go to a car dealership, they have a car with different trims. People buy what they want and what they can afford. Just pick your iPad trim. Stop stressing about it, it’s Just a tablet/computer.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Whether those extras are worth the hefty asking price is up to the user. I could get by just fine on the iPad Air, but I buy the "Pro" because I keep my iPads for several years and it makes me happy. I have no "Pro" use case for it.

Same. I mostly buy the Pros because of the higher storage options. All things considered, they're much better entertainment value than a trip to Disneyland.

Reactions: bevsb2 and Traverse

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
it’s not clickbait just debate,

A base Mac mini is $699 with same M1 chip with 256GB storage, and all that MacOS can do

A 12.9 iPad Pro, M1 chip with 256GB storage, starts at $1,199. Yes it has best display, I already mention that hardware is incredible, point is that software is so far behind (except for graphic designers) what is the ‘pro‘ value for anyone else

I really hope Apple step up and deliver on software side, but honestly don’t see it this year, it is still behind last years iphone software update. If we don’t discuss pro’s and con’s Apple will just continue the same as before.
That Mac mini doesn’t come with a screen and keyboard and such so part of that price difference is consumed by those

for me it’s just touch. yes, iPadOS has ways to go but I just prefer a touch interface. And I love the versatility of the device. And I’ve always hated laptops so MacBooks aren’t for me.

The Pro term is just marketing. I mean there’s also an iPhone Pro and that’s even less “Pro” than an iPad is in my view.
it’s just an indicator that it’s a device that’s not for the broader market (unless you have the money and don’t care) and that it just contained features and tech that are not found in the cheaper alternatives of those devices.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks! didn‘t know this app existed, just tried it and worked great in safari! I’ll use it going forward,

outright lies? are you serious?

PiPifier does not work with youtube app itself (It is a great safari workaround) and not all app’s have that safari option. I gave youtube an example and think my overall point still stands, it seems crazy that youtube/google can monitize a feature to just to allow you to use an their app and easily multitask with other apps, in a ‘PRO’ device you pay extra for (even base price).

I love ipad, but let’s have honest criticism so Apple can hear and improve,
I didn’t realise you where referring to the app, I don’t use it.

I’ll retract ‘outright lies’ and replace it with ‘misleading claims’. You didn’t mention anything about the app specifically, and the whole post is based on your perceived shortcomings on the iPad Pro. (Edit: you did refer to apps, my bad. My point below still stands though)

What the dev does with their app in this respect, offering a premium feature at a cost, is pretty standard across any system ever since the beginning of computing. You buy the app, you use it. Literally nothing to do with Apple, or the iPad’s claim to being a pro machine.
I like the keyboard myself- though I don’t have one. But I do think they missed a trick not having a few juicy features, more ports, perhaps a slim battery, perhaps an ssd. I think if they concentrated on it being primarily a docking station and a case second, it would be much more worth the price.

Last edited:

Weed

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2021
The iPad Pro is for designers/artists. People who need the pencil. If you do not fall into that category (you most likely don't if a Macbook is even a possible alternative for you) it will never seem worth it.

Yes, there are cheaper alternatives. But each of them have quirks and little flaws that justify their cheaper price. The iPad Pro series + Pencil is for the most part a no nonsense combo. That is what you pay a premium for.

Last edited:

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
This thread is nothing more than a justification on why the specific person wants or doesn’t want one and not the merits of the platform or device.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and is 'PRO'.
First let me get this out of the way. Pro is a marketing term pure and simple. I'm not saying Pros cannot use this, but its Apple's way of charging more. For the most part, what ever you can do on the iPad Pro, you can do on less expensive iPads, albeit slower

External storage is just a pain, and some require plugging in to even work
At least you can add external storage. Its a feature that does make it more useful. You may think its a pain and I won't disagree but at least you can attach external storage

Magic keyboard is $300+, its a keyboard with a so-so small trackpad!
You're not required to buy Apple's expensive keyboard, there's plenty of others on the marketplace that are for less money or have a better trackpad

sidecar does not work when macbook pro is on cisco vpn
I think this more of a MPB feature, it doesn't make the iPad any more or any less pro, but its also some sort of bug as well

!00% useless for anyone interested in code development
I'm sure you can do some coding, and apple moving to make it easier I believe but just because you're a developer doesn't mean that the iPad is not a Pro. If I take my iPad Pro into a meeting and use it take notes, or to show off an exhibit or run a demo. That's a professional usage, i.e., making it a pro.

In the end, don't get hung up on the term pro. The real question is, does the iPad Pro's features offer you something that the other models don't?

For me, I wanted the M1 - Do I need it? Absolutely not. I wanted the Mini-LED screen, I felt a larger iPad would be more beneficial for my usage. The USB-C connector (I have an older iPad) is something that I could take advantage of.

In the end, its your money, if you want what it offers, does it matter if the name has pro or not? If it doesn't have the features move on to something else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: ejin222

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
At this point these threads (and many similar youtube videos) seem to me a sign of impatience for WWDC and fear that we will be disappointed... It's too early guys... We need to wait until early June to have a better answer to these questions...

Reactions: jeremiah256

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
The iPad Pro is for designers/artists. People who need the pencil. If you do not fall into that category (you most likely don't if a Macbook is even a possible alternative for you) it will never seem worth it.

Yes, there are cheaper alternatives. But each of them have quirks and little flaws that justify their cheaper price. The iPad Pro series + Pencil is for the most part a no nonsense combo. That is what you pay a premium for.
Couldn't disagree more. Anybody, even my grandpa can take advantage of the bigger, brighter 120Hz display, more storage for family albums and apps, quad speakers, better front/back cameras, faster and longer lasting chip.
IMO life is too short and if you can, it's totally worth having the best device. Anything you can do on it will do it better than lesser tablets.

Reactions: bevsb2

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The term "pro" is merely a selling moniker. What matters is whether or not the model fits your needs and you want to spend the money. Doing task x.y. or z doesn't make it "pro," unless you say such on MR to certain people. At that point, certain people who have deemed themselves to be the arbiters of what subjective "pro" really means, will dictate to you whether you are a "pro" user and whether or not the product you want to buy is really "pro." In the real world, nobody really cares.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

- You cannot watch youtube and do ANYTHING else without paying google $11.99 a month. Some other apps are the same way, how did Apple allow third party apps to control the whole screen like this?? $2,399.00 for this...

- Almost no proper external monitor support, unless you like everything mirrored with black bars (some apps have great external monitor support, the list is tiny)

- External storage is just a pain, and some require plugging in to even work, for a portable solution? Even plugged in, try coping a large +5gb file, the feedback is terrible, did it work or not, what is the progress? Will new iPad have faster transfer speeds? (its an ipad, there is probably going to be some small print related to thunderbolt and power consumption)

- Magic keyboard is $300+, its a keyboard with a so-so small trackpad! and last years version still works, kinda, sorta, maybe, but not great, best to spend another $300+ this year. The first magic keyboard only came out recently, so 2018 ipad pro users who bought just last year, need to think about again, Apple didn't know a year ago about dimensions for this years iPad? really? Magic keyboard has no function keys that are standard on bluetooth keyboards for keyboard brightness, media controls, control center, but is $300+

- sidecar does not work when macbook pro is on cisco vpn, even when connected by cable, it is wifi only. On a 'PRO' device, when actually trying to work, using vpn.

I love my ipad, will not travel without it (but unfortunately not without a laptop either to fill the gaps that iPad cannot meet)

My main point.... It is so disappointing to see the growing in-balance for what the hardware can do versus software which seems to be going nowhere beyond what an iphone can do. Reading interviews from Apple executives this week, sounds like a continuation of the same for now,

Caveat... for graphic designers I guess ticks all the boxes and is 'PRO'... for anyone else, what makes iPad PRO and worth up to $2,399.00?
Actually you can watch YouTube and do other stuff. It’s called scriptable app using shortcuts. PIP works just fine and you don’t need YouTube premium

the MK may have a smaller trackpad but it’s perfectly fine for most people that use it. The MK from all latest reports will work on the new version

i would also say most people aren’t buying the speced out 2399 iPad Pro. 1099 is all i need and I’m sure most will also not be getting the 1TB/2TB models.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
For the most part, what ever you can do on the iPad Pro, you can do on less expensive iPads, albeit slower
Same could be said of any computer ever except for a very small amount of niche use cases.

Except you try telling that to a Mac, Linux or windows ‘Pro’/‘Power user’/‘Build my own rig’ type person.

The fact remains that on an iPad Pro, there are features not present on the other iPads. Sure, ’Pro’ is a marketing term, but also - there is no doubt that the extra features appeal to Pros across the board. So all the people saying that it’s ONLY a marketing term, are not entirely correct. If they created the Pro and the only differentiator was that it was gold coloured, or something, then you have a point. But the fact remains the Pro models are way more powerful and have features geared towards the professional fields where the iPad is relevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremiah256

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Same could be said of any computer ever except for a very small amount of niche use cases.
Exactly, that's why even on the MBP, the "pro" moniker is just marketing pure and simple. In my office, we have equipment far below "pro" level specs and yet we get our work done ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The fact remains that on an iPad Pro, there are features not present on the other iPads.
Short of the USB, what other feature is in the iPad Pro but not in the iPAd that allows it to does something that the other iPads cannot?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Exactly, that's why even on the MBP, the "pro" moniker is just marketing pure and simple. In my office, we have equipment far below "pro" level specs and yet we get our work done ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Short of the USB, what other feature is in the iPad Pro but not in the iPAd that allows it to does something that the other iPads cannot?
It’s not what it allows it to do different. As you have stated and I have stated in this and previous threads, you can do anything on anything, pretty much.
But that’s not the point, is it? The point is the features that enable you to perform better whilst working. A faster processor allows for more streamlined workflow. A better screen is vital in any kind of image work. The pro has both of these, in abundance, over other iPads.
Sure these are benefits anyone can use, but they are features that a professional certainly finds appealing.
Or else you’re saying across any computing system, more expensive systems are pointless, but I doubt that’s what you think.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Let's be honest. The iPad Pro is as much as a PROfessional device as it is a PROcrastination device.

Solved it :p

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
as RAM determines the number of layers and performance you get on Procreate, having the M1 plus 8-16gb on the new Pro should make it very very Pro for many of us... as in, I do illustration for a living and don’t need a Wacom anymore, as the iPad is just so darn good.
I don't question the specs, but the software. And that is a huge limitation for some people like me.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Pro: Screen not from 2010, multiple input devices (pencil, touchscreen, keyboard), dedicated App Store with every app needed to be productive, fast and responsive, great speakers, portable and customizable with different accessories, great cameras, fast USB-c port, and Lidar sensor. There is no device in the market that can do what an Ipad-Pro can do in the way that it does it. I didn't even mention the seamless transfer between Iphone and the IPad but thats a whole story in its own. For me it is worth every penny.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

I like Variety and Options.

#1. 11” iPad Pro 2018 64GB 4GB RAM. 80% of my Computer useage.
#2. Windows 10 Gaming PC 100% of my Gaming.
#3. MacMini M1 @ 1440p 144hz 27” 100% of my MacOS BigSur 11.3 Yes an Apple product M1 Mini at those display specs. Or 4K @120hz to 55” OLED C9 for movies and YouTube
#4. Note 20 Ultra 5G and iPhone 8 Plus 100% social media and texting

there’s No one solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.