Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Global_traveler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2020
I think the M1 CPU would be a step towards supporting Parallels to run a few Windows apps, like a C++ (or other) compiler. Without any software needing that power, except for the 1-2% who do video editing or artwork, there is simply no compelling reason to upgrade from any iPad Pro, 2017-2020. If Apple were to port over the Mac version of Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and more, I’d gladly order the new one. Maybe in 2024 or 2025. Lots in our users group are of the same opinion. My opinion is that the new model is nice, some bells & whistles, but nothing added for real productivity, beyond the previous spec.

Weed

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2021
Couldn't disagree more. Anybody, even my grandpa can take advantage of the bigger, brighter 120Hz display, more storage for family albums and apps, quad speakers, better front/back cameras, faster and longer lasting chip.
IMO life is too short and if you can, it's totally worth having the best device. Anything you can do on it will do it better than lesser tablets.
My post was aimed towards the crowd that constantly compares the iPad and Macbook. I'm not saying the iPad is just for artists/designers. I'm saying that the Macbook and iPad are each better suited for people of different needs, and that if a Macbook would even work as an alternative for you, you are not in the group that would benefit most from having an iPad and it's pointless trying to convince yourself that the iPad is worth it.

If you don't plan to use the pencil heavily, or if you're not certain of how you'd benefit from having an iPad over a Macbook/other computer, the iPad is probably not the product for you.

Reactions: ejin222
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.