Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi all,

I have been using an Anker BT portable speaker, but it is kind of a pain to power it up and re-pair since the speaker disconnects after a bit. I am thinking of getting a speaker bar for the monitor that plugs directly into the speaker jack on the MacStudio. What are others using.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I use a Sonos One SL speaker. It's great.

841x1200.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi all,

I have been using an Anker BT portable speaker, but it is kind of a pain to power it up and re-pair since the speaker disconnects after a bit. I am thinking of getting a speaker bar for the monitor that plugs directly into the speaker jack on the MacStudio. What are others using.

What to use depends on what you use the speakers for. Are you a content creator or content consumer? Are you doing video conferencing regularly? I use either my AKG K240 headphones or a pair of 6" studio monitors that are on either side of my 27" 4K video monitor. I do a small amount of video and music production.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
What to use depends on what you use the speakers for. Are you a content creator or content consumer? Are you doing video conferencing regularly? I use either my AKG K240 headphones or a pair of 6" studio monitors that are on either side of my 27" 4K video monitor. I do a small amount of video and music production.
I use my Mac studio as a light software development, Zoom meetings, YouTube watching system. The speakers will be playing YouTube Videos or music.

I do any video editing and serious ML/AI development on a Windows/Linux system with a couple of NVidia GPUs. I have some monitor level speakers on that system.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
These are cheap and get the job done. They have limited volume and the cables are a minor nuisance but it's okay for phone calls or watching videos. I have a 2015 iMac 27 next to my Studio monitors and I usually do anything audio-related on that old iMac as the speakers are much, much better. I have given some consideration to removing these speakers off the Studio and just using the built-in speaker on the Studio but it isn't close enough to my work area. It would definitely be nice to get rid of the cables associated with external speakers.

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 6.22.08 AM.png

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I have the Harmon Kardone Soundsticks with subwoofer, and they are still grea….used them with several Mac’s over the years.

Reactions: Chuckeee

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Bose Companion 2 speakers from waaaaay back.
Originally connected to my cMP.
Bought from Apple Store about 10+ years ago.....:p

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Two Sonos Five plus the Subwoofer, a Move for another room and a HomePod Mini as Tweeter on my desk. Amazingly happy with how the bigger Sonos speakers sounds.

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
For under 60$ you will probably not find anything better then the Studio Display speakers. If you use the App,e display, the sound is quite good.

BlueMacawBird

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2019
Washington, D.C. USA
The Apple Studio Display speakers are quite good, a touch better than the speakers in the 27" iMac I had before my Mac Studio M2Max. For me the Studio Display speakers were a substantial factor for selecting that expensive display, since having the built-in speakers makes for a clean desktop.

The Bose Companion 2 speakers that MarkC426 suggested are also good; I still have mine. Both those and the Bose Soundlink Mini I suggested are older designs that are still useful, but be sure to get a set that is in good condition.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Went a cheap route... been using the Anker Soundcore speaker since 2017. It's plugged into the headphone jack... have used this on my iMac and now my Studio.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I ended up going with a Nylavee soundbar. It was around $60 or so and does a great job when watching Youtube videos and lectures. It is powered from one of my monitor's USB ports and wire connected to the Mac Studio.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Bose Companion 2 speakers from waaaaay back.
Originally connected to my cMP.
Bought from Apple Store about 10+ years ago.....:p
Noticed recently the power brick on my Bose speakers is very warm.

So decided to update and got a Redragon Adiemus Soundbar.
USB powered, so gets rid of another plug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.