Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
I was just thinking. I've got a Series 0 that I've had since it was the only one out. I stopped using it for almost a year and put it back on last week.

I think the next one would have to have a battery that would allow me to charge it once a week for me to buy it.

I wanted 3rd party watch faces for a long time but it's clear that's not going to happen. Another self-gifted L for Apple.

Reactions: Pinklady1127

SuperBrown

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hollywoodland
Never had one, no plans on buying one. But if I were to consider doing so, #1 thing I'd want is a significanly longer battery life. I doubt they'll come out with one that can last a week on one charge like you seem to hope for. I'd be very tempted if it went 3 days on a single charge.

Also, price drop.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Never had one, no plans on buying one. But if I were to consider doing so, #1 thing I'd want is a significanly longer battery life. I doubt they'll come out with one that can last a week on one charge like you seem to hope for. I'd be very tempted if it went 3 days on a single charge..

I Can achieve at least three days with the Series 3 Apple Watch without having to charge it. Of course settings and usage are variable, but it significantly improved with the first generation Apple Watch.

Reactions: coffeemadmanUK

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I don’t find battery life an issue at all. A daily charge is easier to remember than an every few days one. My watch never dies on me whereas Fitbits did all the time because charging didn’t fit a routine (also because they’re really unpredictable so the battery lasts anything from a day to 5 days depending on nothing in particular and they’re a pain to charge, neither of which apply to the watch so probably not a good comparison).

I upgraded from the original watch to a Series 3 so the next one would need something really compelling to get me to upgrade (probably some new health sensor). My guess is my next watch will be a Series 5 or even 6.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I bought a S3 in the fall and am happy with it. Nothing comes to mind that would make me want to upgrade after only a year. Rumours are pointing to slightly larger screens (less bezel) and longer battery life.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm using a series 2 AW and I like it. I am planning on buying this years model in the hopes of seeing a significant improvement in speed and all-around performance. I'd also like to see a round face option as well.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I only have one (well maybe two) requests...

1. I want to be able to use Spotify on it as a native app like Apple Music.
2. A liiiiiiiiitle bit longer battery life.

Im currently using a Polare V800 as my main watch, 20 days batterylife is sweet and its a bit bulky.

So bring out Spotify Apple..make it happen.

Reactions: Pinklady1127

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I bought a S3 in the fall and am happy with it. Nothing comes to mind that would make me want to upgrade after only a year. Rumours are pointing to slightly larger screens (less bezel) and longer battery life.

Actually, the latest rumor is is that a _future_ Apple Watch model will have haptic buttons that will correlate with the haptic engine, ultimately reflecting what the iPhone 7 home button wise. Seems feasible, especially given Apple will want to continue to improve the water resistance.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-state-buttons-with-haptic-feedback.2122442/

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Actually, the latest rumor is is that a _future_ Apple Watch model will have haptic buttons that will correlate with the haptic engine, ultimately reflecting what the iPhone 7 home button wise. Seems feasible, especially given Apple will want to continue to improve the water resistance.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-state-buttons-with-haptic-feedback.2122442/
It's not certain that that is destined for the 2018 AW model, and honestly that doesn't change much from a user experience perspective, just potentially makes waterproofing easier for Apple and gives a bit more space for the battery or other features...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's not certain that that is destined for the 2018 AW model

Right, Thats why I emphasized the underscore of future. Also, the article itself states future Apple Watch models, it never states anything about the 2018 model.

Actually, the latest rumor is is that a _future_ Apple Watch model will have haptic buttons

Also:

and honestly that doesn't change much from a user experience ..

That’s not exactly true. Just having the sensation from the haptic engine to the button allows more initial feedback, and also require significantly less travel pushing the button, similar to the iPhone 7. It also would likely instill a faster reaction time to the Apple Watch invoking action. I think many were surprised how much they liked the haptic home button with the iPhone 7, which I’m assuming will have similar capabilities, aside from the obvious improvement with the water resistance.

SomeThing else to consider, is with the haptic home button, then it’s requiring more battery power with the usage from the haptic engine, so that should be interesting to see how that’s directly affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dormammu

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Never had one, no plans on buying one. But if I were to consider doing so, #1 thing I'd want is a significanly longer battery life. I doubt they'll come out with one that can last a week on one charge like you seem to hope for. I'd be very tempted if it went 3 days on a single charge.

Also, price drop.

I am curious as to why you need at least 3 days on a single charge. Is that how long you go without sleeping in a stretch?

Reactions: Cigsm

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
What would it take for me to buy a series 4 or 5?

At the very least, custom 3rd party watch faces and 5+ days battery per charge.
This is more important than being thinner or faster?
I assume your iPhone don't get 5 days per charge? So why not just charge them overnight together?

Reactions: Cigsm

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
After what I payed for my SSSB S3 w/cellular I can’t see being able to get a new one for at least 3 years so this one had better last me. I’m completely happy with mine and can’t see a thing I need or want. As for battery life, I wear mine 23 hours every day. Charge it while I shower and get ready for bed.

Jervasio

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2016
1) Glucose monitoring
2) Blood oxygen level
3) Better battery life

Extras: slimmer, less bezel, more stock apps, like a notepad and calculator.

Reactions: Oldmanmac

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
This is more important than being thinner or faster?
I assume your iPhone don't get 5 days per charge? So why not just charge them overnight together?
Yeah, I wear my watch to bed....have worn a watch to bed since I was a child.
I’m an ex Pebble owner so battery life has always been on my wish list.

My iPhone gets charged when it’s needed...I don’t wear it though.

Charging an Apple Watch overnight simply doesn’t work for me.

Speed and thinness don’t matter to me at all. My watch is plenty fast enough for what I need and I don’t mind the chunkiness..

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
Charging an Apple Watch overnight simply doesn’t work for me.

I’m lucky in that I still have my first watch so I can charge overnight and still wear a watch to track my sleep. I often just charge my watch while I’m in the shower and getting dressed though; that does the trick.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I’m lucky in that I still have my first watch so I can charge overnight and still wear a watch to track my sleep. I often just charge my watch while I’m in the shower and getting dressed though; that does the trick.
Yeah I charge mine when I am showering/getting ready in the morning, but a week’s charge would be awesome...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Currently using a series 2 and I will probably upgrade when my current watch is no longer supported by software updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.