Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
6AM to 10PM is the definition of all day.

Not to me. My end of day on a Friday is 2-3 am (Saturday Morning). So, I would need at last at least until midnight (18 hours). So, if we are talking really hitting the 18 hour mark after years of use, they would need to get it closer to 24 hours for me to say they hit my ideal battery life target.

Right now, my practice is to go home on a Friday after work, and switch to my mechanical watch so I actually have a working watch until I go to bed.

I’m also getting the same numbers as yours 7AM to 10PM with 10% left. Although would be much less when workout is involved. Learned to keep two chargers one at work and one at home, charge it an hour before leaving work and it’ll last until 12mn with workout and music through AirPods.

I also have a charger at work, but don't want to take my watch off as I'll miss notifications (I hate being disconnected). Your solution is a good one, I just wish my watch would last 24 hours before needing a charge. I don't mind charging every night.
[doublepost=1528912738][/doublepost]
I realize that I'm pretty fortunate when it comes to how well my battery has held up, because I've certainly seen posts (including yours) about watches doing far worse. Personally I don't need the battery to last me more than 18 hours or so, but if I still backpacked as much as I did when I was younger the battery life would be more of an issue. Then again most of the time I'd rather have faster performance than longer battery life. Ideally Apple would offer a power setting in between normal and Low Power mode, so the user could choose to sacrifice some performance for increased battery life. Maybe it wouldn't make enough of a difference in the battery though.

I certainly wouldn't want a slower watch to gain battery life. I just think Apple would be able to satisfy more customers (not saying they need to, just that they would), if the battery lasted 24 hours. I would accept less than 24 hours on exercise days. I think it wont matter as they have set their standard to 18 hours, and I just assume that will be their ongoing target for watches.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hard to improve it really as does what it is suppose to do. Even quicker is always nice but it’s fast as it is to be fair.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Not to me. My end of day on a Friday is 2-3 am (Saturday Morning). So, I would need at last at least until midnight (18 hours). So, if we are talking really hitting the 18 hour mark after years of use, they would need to get it closer to 24 hours for me to say they hit my ideal battery life target.

Right now, my practice is to go home on a Friday after work, and switch to my mechanical watch so I actually have a working watch until I go to bed.

I also have a charger at work, but don't want to take my watch off as I'll miss notifications (I hate being disconnected). Your solution is a good one, I just wish my watch would last 24 hours before needing a charge. I don't mind charging every night.
[doublepost=1528912738][/doublepost]

I certainly wouldn't want a slower watch to gain battery life. I just think Apple would be able to satisfy more customers (not saying they need to, just that they would), if the battery lasted 24 hours. I would accept less than 24 hours on exercise days. I think it wont matter as they have set their standard to 18 hours, and I just assume that will be their ongoing target for watches.

My 38mm Series 0 once went well beyond 24 hours on an overnight camping trip with no charge. I think it was about a year old then, and that did not include any workouts. Now that it's about 3 years old it still can make it 18 hours with no workout. I wouldn't expect it to make it to 24 hours these days without going into low power mode. Since I wear mine for sleep tracking I usually charge it before bed and then top it off while I shower in the morning. So it usually starts the day at 7am or so with 90-95% battery, and by the time I put it on the charger about 14 hours later it still has around 25%. With a one hour workout it will be more in the 10-15% range.

I didn't realize that Apple now advertised 18 hours as the max, but sure enough that's what they advertise. Hopefully the Series 4 will offer longer battery life, but even if it doesn't 18 hours will be enough for my daily routine. I can definitely see the desire for longer battery life for situations like yours where the days can be very long. Fast charging would also be nice... if it was possible to top off the battery with a quick charge that could add many hours for people, but it also means having a charger where and when you need it, taking off the watch, etc.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
They say 18 hours but I get way more. 6 am to 10 pm leaves me at 40-50% with no workout. Maybe I’m a “light” user? I dunno, it doesn’t seem that way to me. I use it a lot.

(Some users report 2-3 days with their S3. I could maybe squeeze 2 with adjusted use, but I’m not sure how people are getting 3.)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Spotify.
Another design would be a nice bonus…

I can see the use of ApplePay on my wrist, being iPhoneless most of the time etc.

Meanwhile I'll stick to my 1914 analogue wristwatch.
104 years and still going strong
. :)

Feel Free to share a picture sometime, I suppose it would be appropriate being this is an Apple Watch thread. On that note, I think the Apple Watch has really piqued my interest for other various types of mechanical watches on the market. I never really was much of a watch individual prior, but more so than ever, I find my interest looking at different designs and manufactures. And I like rotating my Apple Watch between my other watches that I own. I think there are certain occasions for a nice mechanical watch and then the Apple Watch when need be.

Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Feel Free to share a picture sometime, I suppose it would be appropriate being this is an Apple Watch thread. On that note, I think the Apple Watch has really piqued my interest for other various types of mechanical watches on the market. I never really was much of a watch individual prior, but more so than ever, I find my interest looking at different designs and manufactures. And I like rotating my Apple Watch between my other watches that I own. I think there are certain occasions for a nice mechanical watch and then the Apple Watch when need be.
Here's a MacRumours link to a post I made in the "Who's got a nice watch" thread last year.
:)

Reactions: 44267547

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I am curious as to why you need at least 3 days on a single charge. Is that how long you go without sleeping in a stretch?

I see the 3-day use case myself when I go camping/hiking for a weekend. I'm without access to power sources Friday night (sometimes Thursday night) through Sunday night.

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Great White North
I'm really just looking for some difference in the case. Perhaps I'm shallow, but buying a new watch that looks identical to the old one feels disappointing.

The rumoured slightly-larger display on the S4 would be enough, for example.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm really just looking for some difference in the case. Perhaps I'm shallow, but buying a new watch that looks identical to the old one feels disappointing.

The rumoured slightly-larger display on the S4 would be enough, for example.

The other part of that rumor (By Ming Kuo) was increased battery life and additional health sensors. I think with the Apple Watch battery life is absolutely crucial in terms of longevity throughout our day depending how for usage for fitness capabilities, third-party applications LTE , etc. I think the major selling point is if Apple can increase the longevity of a battery in the Apple Watch, that might even be *more * of a selling point then having a larger display. At least for me, it would be.

Reactions: Baldrake
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.