Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I may consider M4 Max 16inch MBP if it supports 256 GB RAM, and comes with more powerful GPU for DL/ML and Improves matMul. Or I may try a Mac Studio or Mac Pro after not buying Mac workstations for over a decade, if they can come up with M4 Ultra, 512 GB and 2-3 X GPU performance compared to Max. I don’t really care about CPU.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
What Apple can't really do is continue to upsell consumers on the basis of performance. We're already so far beyond the performant demands of the vast majority of users that at best they can leverage existing Intel and M1 owners on performance, but likely not M2 and M3. And the 'pro' and 'max' options makes that an even harder argument.
Totally agree. With the exception of video conferencing, most general computer use is pretty much the same stuff people were doing with their Macs 10, 15 even 20 years ago: email, web, office software, messaging, maybe a little light gaming... not much new there.

BUT, my guess is that they'll drive demand with locally-processed AI that could offer compelling features requiring hardware with better specs and resources geared specifically to those features.

Reactions: Kelly Jones

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Local AI will never replace server based AI. Even when you try it the thing is you need Terrabytes of data to train you personal AI,

The only interesting on the M4 will maybe the new manufacturing process. But I think its not worth the wait.

Reactions: d0sed0se

Kelly Jones

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Totally agree. With the exception of video conferencing, most general computer use is pretty much the same stuff people were doing with their Macs 10, 15 even 20 years ago: email, web, office software, messaging, maybe a little light gaming... not much new there.

BUT, my guess is that they'll drive demand with locally-processed AI that could offer compelling features requiring hardware with better specs and resources geared specifically to those features.
For sure. The selling points for upgrading fall within the realm of specific tasks or features. Can I edit videos significantly faster? Is my battery life on my laptop improved? Am I less vulnerable to malware? Can I generate 3D renderings more quickly? Are my phone cameras better? iPhones reached this point several generations ago. For the most part the speed of a computer or phone for general use is great.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Local AI will never replace server based AI. Even when you try it the thing is you need Terrabytes of data to train you personal AI,

The only interesting on the M4 will maybe the new manufacturing process. But I think it’s not worth the wait.
It can’t replace training from scratch, but it can easily run inferences and fine tuning existing models. Meta released Llama3 couple days back, and mac with Apple silicon 64 GB unified memory runs locally, and you can train/build a RAG on your own documents/knowledge base. Server based API has its place and the on device inference will be wide spread. Good luck uploading confidential data to the server based APIs.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
We don’t even know what we’re getting yet. I’ve been waiting for M3 for years to finally upgrade my graphics machine because the rumor mill made it seem like m3 was gonna be this massive leap forward at 3nm… but the m3 studio isn’t even out yet and already feels like old news.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
I'm on an M1 now, so it's either m4 or m5 for me. I'll need to see specifics to decide, but here's some thoughts:

Wifi is irrelevant - 6/6e is plenty to handle my 1GB internet connection (which isn't going to get faster since I'm stuck on cable), and I don't do much internal machine to machine transfers. Wifi 7 certainly would future-proof it though.

Thunderbolt 5 is a must-have for how long I expect to keep the machine. Bonus points if they ditch the SD card and HDMI connectors and give me a 4th TB 5 port. Must support USB 4, and 3.2 Gen 2x2 too - no more 2x1.

Something less than insane RAM and SSD upgrade prices - cannot be worse than the M3's for sure. I am considering 128GB and 4TB this go around (which would make this a 4 or 5 year machine - if it's only 64/2TB then I'll have to really think about if the raw CPU is worth it the upgrade cost...probably not).

More performance cores, and fewer efficiency cores would be nice too. Even at full power it's not that big an energy hog.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
Minimum 32gb.
Configurable (better yet user-upgradable!) to at least 128gb.
In a 27" iMac case.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
I have a feeling Apple's sales of the M3 family, base to Max, are not doing well, or not as well as the M1 and M2 lines. I've never seen Apple discount machines as quickly as they have with the M3 line.

The last powerful Mac that I bought was the 2019 Intel MBP and boy do I regret that decision. I was planning on upgrading to the M3 Max MBP but the rumors on M4 Macs started coming out.

One of the main reasons for me is WiFi 7. I bought a WiFi 7 TP-Link router a few months back and it has already increased performance on my older machines. Here's the speed on my 2020 M1 Macbook Air:
View attachment 2370637

I'm waiting to see what the speed will be on a Mac that actually has WiFi 7. Performance wise, I think the M3 Max is more than enough for me.

What would make you want to upgrade to the M4 line, especially if you're already on M1 or M2?

You "have a feeling," okay.

PC and Mac sales fell steeply across the board over the past couple of years following a huge sales boost due to lots of people getting work from home computers. Those analysts are only forecasting a post-pandemic recovery in sales by this year. People in the MR forums have blamed the decline in Mac sales on everything from M2 chips not being a big improvement over M1, to laptop design they don't like, to RAM and storage prices, to the notch. The plain truth is that lots of people got new computers in 2020 and 2021 and they don't buy new ones every year.

If you're holding out on buying a new machine because of rumors of new models with new features, faster this or that, etc., you will always have a reason to not buy, because rumors of some iterative change are always around. Wait for an M4 and there will be rumors of an M5.

So if you want or need a new machine, buy one and stop worrying about what is rumored to be available in another few years. You will have gotten lots of enjoyment & productivity from a machine that's much better than your Intel-based model. And as you noted, there are some good deals out there.

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
Originally I thought I'd have to get a Mac Studio eventually, but as it turns out the MBP is so powerful that it is paradigm-shifting and a desktop is no longer needed. Instead I was able to get 2 x Studio Displays and a MBP dock and call it a day.

Same, but in my case it meant I could downgrade from a history of MBPs to a fully loaded MBA...I never imagined I'd be able to do that, but I really can now.

Reactions: tothemoonsands

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I don’t remember if I already replied to this thread, so here’s what would make me get an M4 Mac:

- Completely new architecture that significantly improves IPCs and the chip doesn’t rely on higher clock speeds to offer substantially increased performance.

- Much more efficient GPU, not much more powerful but more efficient to offer a better sustained performance without overheating.

- New generation of Neural Cores, designed specifically for AI and on device LLMs.

- Ideally, 12GM minimum of RAM.

phillypharm

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
I'll prob upgrade to the M4 from my base M1 Pro 8/14 16GB 1TB mainly for more ram. I started running Fusion 13 with W11 Arm and it works well, but having more ram could def help my use cases unless MS releases a Mac version of Power BI.

I'm already eyeing the M3 Pro/Max with at least 48gb of ram though, so we'll see. I also do some ML stuff, so more ram could help, but it'll be interesting what the M4 brings for AI.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
On the Silicon side of things, upgrades I anticipate would include Thunderbolt 5 and Wi-Fi 7. And if Apple releases new AI software features in future operating systems, then additional software-defined hardware would be appropriate for future chips.

Apple could upgrade other aspects of their hardware, too, such as the screens and keyboards and stereo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.