Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The snapdragon X Elite is mopping the floor with the current M3 as far as performance. No longer king of the hill in Arm performance.

wanna get left behind? don't upgrade to an M4.
Looking at their inference performance numbers they don't even beat the M1.

Here is the model with 10 performance cores running the DirectML GPU inference versus the M1 GPU.

Here it is running on the CPU versus the M1.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
The snapdragon X Elite is mopping the floor with the current M3 as far as performance. No longer king of the hill in Arm performance.

wanna get left behind? don't upgrade to an M4.
based on your real testing or....for me it will be another SQ1/2 fiasco where charts looks impressive and the real deal was a joke...these charts are just for the minds of the weak
QC already facing allegations...again for cheating in charts for misleading and making people buy

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I have a feeling Apple's sales of the M3 family, base to Max, are not doing well, or not as well as the M1 and M2 lines. I've never seen Apple discount machines as quickly as they have with the M3 line.

The last powerful Mac that I bought was the 2019 Intel MBP and boy do I regret that decision. I was planning on upgrading to the M3 Max MBP but the rumors on M4 Macs started coming out.

One of the main reasons for me is WiFi 7. I bought a WiFi 7 TP-Link router a few months back and it has already increased performance on my older machines. Here's the speed on my 2020 M1 Macbook Air:
View attachment 2370637

I'm waiting to see what the speed will be on a Mac that actually has WiFi 7. Performance wise, I think the M3 Max is more than enough for me.

What would make you want to upgrade to the M4 line, especially if you're already on M1 or M2?

So, I opened my M3 Max last night and I got the following WiFi speeds:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.58.04 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.59.55 PM.png

I have 1.2Gbs service and I cannot believe I actually hit the top speed without the M3 Max even having a WiFi 7 chip.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Further proving that Wi-Fi 7 chips offer nothing over Wi-Fi 6E. All comes down to the router and speed that your paying for.

Wi-Fi 6E caps at up to 5.4 Gbps, whereas Wi-Fi 7 can deliver peak rates of over 40 Gbps.

Why anyone outside Gov't agency's needs Wi-Fi 7 speeds is beyond me. Youtube is still going to take forever to upload your 10-20 Min video.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Further proving that Wi-Fi 7 chip does nothing. All comes down to the router and speed that your paying for.
Well... My M1 MBA was getting 730Mbps. But, if you mean in practical terms, I agree. There are, of course, other factors that make the experience noticeably better like no lag at all when scrolling ahead in the timeline but I don't know if that's because of the WiFi 6E chip or because of the processor.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
At this point, it's really just time.

My M1 MBA is still going strong, and I would really find it to be a waste to get the latest 15" MBA. Likewise, my 5k iMac's display is gorgeous, and while it doesn't get software updates anymore, my dad's mostly using it for watching YouTube and web browsing these days, and that doesn't warrant getting a new Mac mini + Studio Display offering.

Reactions: jlnr

vsiro

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2024
I really need nested virtualization. Right now the new Macs don't have nested virtualization support.
Also, tons of RAM to run large AI models.

SkweeBop

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2024
The M1 gave the Mac a once-in-a-decade step forward in performance/power ratio that raised the bar as to how much a battery-powered "ultrabook" could do. Suddenly, you could edit 4k video on a MacBook Air.... The pandemic encouraged a lot of people to buy new computers to work-from-home. I also get the impression that Apple handled the ensuing chip shortage better than other PC makers (everybody seems to agree that Tim Cook is the supply chain king) and kept Macs "on the shelves" during the pandemic.

It was pretty inevitable that the M2 and M3 would be less exciting, more "incremental" upgrades than M1. They were decent improvements but nothing like the excitement of the Intel to M1 switch. I suspect that the flow of Intel Mac users upgrading to Apple Silicon peaked last year (guesstimating 3 years as the average time between upgrades). Plus, Intel and AMD are playing catchup on power/performance (or have overtaken Apple if you believe their publicity).

These sentiments ring true for me. Two things will impact my next mac purchases: a) Timing of need to replace something, and b) the balance of performance cores vs. efficiency cores. I'm a composer, and have seen that previous balances have been better for my audio needs. Logic X doesn't even take advantage of its family of chips very well. Reaper is more efficient (granted, it's smaller--but it is way better optimized for the chipset).

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
A few of things

1. my M1 Pro dying
  2. 32-64 GB of RAM and 2TB SSD being pretty cheap
  3. massive GPU performance improvement vs. my M1 Pro at the same sort of price

I'm "due" to upgrade either this year or next as far as my budget goes, but the m1 pro 14" is still going strong.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
A few of things

1. my M1 Pro dying
  2. 32-64 GB of RAM and 2TB SSD being pretty cheap
  3. massive GPU performance improvement vs. my M1 Pro at the same sort of price

I'm "due" to upgrade either this year or next as far as my budget goes, but the m1 pro 14" is still going strong.
Define "dying" and "still going strong"? 😅

Lahmy88

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Shepparton, Victoria, Australia
A new 11" form factor MacBook with Pro level quality screen etc. (inc. a damn fan - I'll never go fanless) sized much like my beloved 2011 MBA but with performance above my current 14" M1 Pro MBP (because if it's going to be newer, might as well be an upgrade in performance too!) that features min. 3x Thunderbolt 5 ports (love the fast IO potential of TB although where's the Apple Silicon eGPU compatibility Apple???) and latest WiFi/Bluetooth etc. as well as headphone jack still!

I know this ain't possible but please Apple start giving us at least somewhat half-decent upgrade prices on RAM and storage!

Reactions: Arctic Moose

aronsajan

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Not gonna upgrade to any Mac until they offer an upgradeable SSD.

Also prefer a better keyboard that requires a little more actuation force

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
My M1 MBA would need to stop working, and even then I'm not sure I'd do it. Interested to see what Apple does, though.

cczhu

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2018
I'd upgrade from my M1 Max if they'd have

a) FaceID
b) Tandem OLED
c) WIFI 7
d) thinner deign

I doubt all will be happen at once, but it's about time for a redesign

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I dont want FaceID because touchID works perfect and takes no screen space.
I dont want tandem OLED because I think Apple's LCD panels are really great.

I do want 120hz though. Please put it in the MBA!

(and make 16GB RAM the default, of course)

l0stl0rd

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2009
After the M4 iPad announcement I get it won’t get my wish of 2x GPU.

I guess best case M4 1,6x faster than M3 🤔

They said M4 up to 4x M2
Back when they announced M3 they said 2,5 x M2.

So? Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.