Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
How about not being able to choose a default app for each file type? How about the impossibility to have cloud services like dropbox to sync in the background with the file app? (even the pro version of Dropbox, which can sync folders inside the app, does not sync with the file app, and can't even sync inside the drobox app itself in the background since true background activity is not an option on the iPad....)
I don’t use DropBox, but OneDrive syncs perfectly fine for me within the Files app, and it syncs in the background. If I transfer a ton of files over to OneDrive on my iPad (or another device), later I go to OneDrive within Files on my iPad, and those files are there. I have an M1 iPad Pro, so maybe the virtual memory helps with that. And you can actually select whether apps update in the background or not from the Settings app.

• Disagree
Reactions: Surf Monkey

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I don’t understand this argument. iPad has a file management system called Files app. I use it frequently, what does it not do for you?
I agree with you. There are a few things I’ve heard people mention such as external drive reformatting, iCloud Photos library access from within the Files app, and ability to select default app for opening a certain file type, but other than that, I think Files is nearly the same as Finder for normal file organization and management. I use both, and they’re extremely similar in most UI respects.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
I love this site, but please stop stating rumours as if they were facts.

“Apple is overhauling the Magic Keyboard…”

This is a rumour, not a fact. Please present it as such - throughout the article.
I have a theory that certain news sites actually get info straight from Apple about certain (niche) products but have very strict contracts and NDA about it. That’s the only reason they can write about this stuff as if they were facts. Otherwise they would get in legal trouble right…?

The reason for this possible arrangement is simple. They need content and Apple wants to pre-market (niche) products to enthusiasts so they have time to make purchase decision well in advance. That way they will be ready to buy it the moment it’s available.

This is just a theory and I’m not saying MacRumors is one of those news sites :)

Reactions: Surf Monkey

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I have a theory that certain news sites actually get info straight from Apple about certain (niche) products but have very strict contracts and NDA about it. That’s the only reason they can write about this stuff as if they were facts. Otherwise they would get in legal trouble right…?

My experience with NDAs is any comments could get you in trouble; even if it only being cutoff from future information.

The reason for this possible arrangement is simple. They need content and Apple wants to pre-market (niche) products to enthusiasts so they have time to make purchase decision well in advance. That way they will be ready to buy it the moment it’s available.

I also think that is the case, but Apple also wants the element of surprise so sites that signed an NDA and then published hints would likely find themselves in trouble with Apple.

I suspect Apple doesn't give them a lot of lead time for writing a review, so a lot of the rumors are just that, rumors, because they have not seen an actual product or fact sheet about it.

Reactions: Kal Madda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.