Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
It has become my Macbook replacement and I’m also doing video editing in Lumafusion. What concerns me though is that more and more apps for iPadOS are getting subscription based, for instance I was going to use Logic Pro or even FCP on iPadOS but I’m never going to accept renting software.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I also use it for Photo Editing and DJing. Other people on here use it for music creation.

I’m always genuinely surprised to hear from people who can use it as a primary work device, but keep the examples coming. Happy to be proven wrong.

Well kind of. I still don’t like that it’s a more locked down platform. I still don’t personally consider it to be a full general purpose computer.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m always genuinely surprised to hear from people who can use it as a primary work device, but keep the examples coming. Happy to be proven wrong.
I also use mine to record voiceovers for work videos.
Well kind of. I still don’t like that it’s a more locked down platform. I still don’t personally consider it to be a full general purpose computer.
For some people it is, others it isn’t.

Reactions: Kal Madda

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
An iPad keyboard that makes the total price more expensive than an MBA and overall the combo is thicker and heavier?
just do without an external keyboard altogether (I have for a decade, and the iPadOS is [slowly] getting better at handwriting and on screen keyboard options) or if you can’t, just get an MBA.

Reactions: O.N.Y.X

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
I only travel with my M2 Pro 16 incher rarely (retired) but have a special backpack to protect it and keep other stuff from pushing against directly (has a nice padded sleeve) wonder if that will protect it from this issue?
Not sure. My backpack has a specific compartment for laptops, and yet the aforementioned issue happened. With my new MBP I just put a fiber cloth - the one I use to clean my glasses - on the keyboard before I close the lid.
Three years have passed, so far so good ;)

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
I hope the Smart Keyboard is also available for the newer iPads. Biggest advantage is the dust proof layer. For serious work I use additionally the external Trackpad and can place it where it's comfortable for me and not in front of the keyboard.

Biggest advantage of an iPad with a keyboard vs. MacBook is, that you can pick up your iPad easily on the display and go.

This are the reasons why I still hope for macOS on iPad.

Reactions: Frosties

Delarock

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2016
I sold my mac mini and macbook pro 16 and using ipad pro as my only device. I was affraid of it , but with studio monitor + magic trakcpad + mouse (and brydge pro max +) really good combination . Using microsoft RDP,mail and office so just basic stuff but for this type of activities its suitable.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I don’t understand this argument. iPad has a file management system called Files app. I use it frequently, what does it not do for you?
How about not being able to choose a default app for each file type? How about the impossibility to have cloud services like dropbox to sync in the background with the file app? (even the pro version of Dropbox, which can sync folders inside the app, does not sync with the file app, and can't even sync inside the drobox app itself in the background since true background activity is not an option on the iPad....)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, there are fundamental differences between how files are handled between a touch OS and mouse OS. Even simple base functionality like single-tap vs double-click changes how you interact. The two OSes just work differently and frustration caused by these differences are the core of the "I need better file management" want.

Of course the power users who want to do all their Mac heavy lifting on the iPad are going to quickly encounter the thermal throttling joys of a thin, sealed device with no vents (even the MacBook Air has vents in the hinge) and a heat generating screen on one surface. #ipadthrottlegate #whycanti3drenderonanipadmini
Power users don't necessarily need CPU intensive apps (only some do). But they do need the full version of some apps and apps that are simply not avaiable at all on iPadOS. They also need true backgroud tasks, but this would probably reduce iPad battery life too much... (iPads have smaller batteries than Macs).
Sure, but you said that better file management is the thing which will stop people from also buying a Mac, which is simply not true. Even if the iPad had the MacOS Finder, people who need a Mac would still need a Mac to run their Mac apps. However, running all your Mac apps even with the existing Files app would reduce Mac sales. Of course you cant run Mac apps without a menubar which is something iPadOS doesn't have.
Totally agree on this, even opening the file system fully wouldn't move the needle much if at all, if people cannot run desktop apps on iPadOS

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Power users don't necessarily need CPU intensive apps (only some do). But they do need the full version of some apps and apps that are simply not avaiable at all on iPadOS. They also need true backgroud tasks, but this would probably reduce iPad battery life too much... (iPads have smaller batteries than Macs).

Totally agree on this, even opening the file system fully wouldn't move the needle much if at all, if people cannot run desktop apps on iPadOS

Run desktop apps (i.e. essentially MacOS) on the current iPads would be a hot mess since the iPad is not designed for them. Apps for the desktop run in a defines environment - developers know a keyboard and trackpad will be available at a minimum, and what screen space is always available. on an iPad, there is no assurance a user will have a physical keyboard available and thus the screen may be partially covered at times. Plus, there is no assurance of a precision pointing device either. Sure, you can argue users who want those apps will know what hardware they need, but others will try to use them, get frustrated and blame the app and the iPad.

MacOS and iPadOS may converge at some point, but it will take a redesign of the UI to make it work, not just slapping MacOS on an iPad because the M chip can handle it. (once RAM gets bigger).

Right now, I'd settle for less confusing file management as I frequently get asked "Where did my download go?" and even I often need to to look at several apps to find ones I've downloaded.

System603

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2021
Europe
I had not seen this one but the Amazon reviews are all over the place.. how long have you had it?
Since July. No problems with it and as I felt so pleasantly surprised I felt safe to suggest it. But if the reviews are all over the place maybe we're just lucky with our unit.

Made my choice based on many reviews and even few videos back then like this one
I picked one with a good trackpad rather than just a typing one.

One huge negative that is also true for iPads Pro's original Apple Magic Keyboard: they are heavy. They need to be so that iPads won't topple with them.

Think about just buying a wedge/triangle style case like the original Folio case with triangle fold and then a separate bluetooth/USB-C keyboard. You can always toss iPad in light case and separate keyboard in your bag. Even Apple's regular "PC"(desktop) Magic Keyboards should work. You'll lose ability to have it on your lap/small table but typing experience will be the best there is.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
The keyboard really needs a replaceable silicon shell. This material just doesn’t last long enough. Hopefully no more vinyl since that hold up worse then silicon.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
I doubt it as this would cannibalize Macbook sales, especially because iPads have become quite capable in more recent years.

I really don't think it would tbh.

We have seen recently the iPad embrace the pointer, and if rumours are to be believe soon will see the Mac embrace touch. Of course this doesn't change the fact that the iPad is and always will be a touch first device, while the Mac is a pointer first device.

I do think when the touch Macs are introduced this will be when we see a convergence of software between the iPad and Mac. They will run the same interface which fattens up for touch or slims down for a pointer.

That doesn't mean the iPad would cannibalise the MacBook however. You want to draw, or read a magazine on a couch, then sure the iPad is the best choice for flexibility. But do more typing, working on a desk and want longer battery life, then you go with a MacBook for a more traditional laptop experience. They're all sales to Apple anyway.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I really don't think it would tbh.

We have seen recently the iPad embrace the pointer, and if rumours are to be believe soon will see the Mac embrace touch. Of course this doesn't change the fact that the iPad is and always will be a touch first device, while the Mac is a pointer first device.

I do think when the touch Macs are introduced this will be when we see a convergence of software between the iPad and Mac. They will run the same interface which fattens up for touch or slims down for a pointer.

That doesn't mean the iPad would cannibalise the MacBook however. You want to draw, or read a magazine on a couch, then sure the iPad is the best choice for flexibility. But do more typing, working on a desk and want longer battery life, then you go with a MacBook for a more traditional laptop experience. They're all sales to Apple anyway.

Rumors are a dime a dozen. Apple has been talking about converging OSs since Jobs was alive. I’ll believe it when I see it. There’s a reason Apple isn’t converging them and it has to do with sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.