Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I thought I was going to use mine more but don’t due to how heavy and thick it is. It also isn’t great for watching videos compared to a typical flip cover.

If you’re on the fence and reading this - suggest you pass

System603

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2021
Europe
Make one for the iPad Mini. Every third party iPad Mini keyboard sucks.
Bought F83A from Doqo. As close to non-existent Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad Mini as you can get (and I have Apple's for my iPad Pro). Definitely does not suck beyond the point that you're trying to have keyboard for 8 inch device.

But I agree with you. Original would be nice. Especially with real USB-C pass-through.

Last edited:

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The magic keyboard is what made me realize how much i prefer the Macbook over the iPad. I started using the Keyboard with the iPad pretty much every time, because i preferred it, but then it just felt like a limited macbook to me. Especially since i mostly used it on my lap, which just feels a bit awkward.
Which ended my iPad Pro story.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
There’s the Files program that essentially is like Finder. Does that not suffice? It’s been working well for me.
It’s a bit clunky if you try to do anything beyond super simple

Like with window management Apple has literally decades of experience with file management and yet seems determined to start from kindergarten and work their way back up on iPadOS. At least Files doesnt feel like it’s written by an intern as a research project unlike the couple times I’ve tried the new wm features with other folks ipps

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
View attachment 2322708

No one asked for a 'better Magic Keyboard' but a majority of people asked for a better file management browser, better multitasking, user profiles, and a host of other usability enhancements but no you give us some new Magic Keyboard that will cost more than a base iPad.
Why do you think a “majority of people” ask for that? I definitely want a better MK (specially a better trackpad). And I’d bet a great majority of iPad users care more about that (which impacts usability a lot) than about the other stuff. File management is already fine for 95% of users, better multitasking is always good, but seldomly used in tablets, while the iPad multitasking UI is already unrivaled.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But yeah. Giving iPad a real file management system? That should have happened YEARS ago. Apple won’t do it because they need you to buy a laptop too.
File management isn't what compels people to have a Mac in addition to an iPad; there are other larger issues like desktop apps which do that. But the trend is for people to claim that anything they feel is lacking to be the thing which apple wont change because "they want to force you to also buy a Mac".

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The magnets aren't the problem, they're already on either side. The problem is the inductive charging, which has to be right in the middle in order to allow the pencil to be charged whether it's attached pointing up or down (left or right in landscape).

Use one magnet and charge on the other side. The visual and audio clue should be enough to let you know it's charging, as well as experience once you realize how it must be positioned.

My only question: will my Magic Keyboard (best keyboard ever) work on the future iPad Air. Only acceptable answer: yes. 🍸😺

Probable anser: No

A simple thing that Apple has never done with the Apple Pencil, but should, is to offer it in different colors. Give people a choice. Black or White at least for the Pro iPads & multi colors for the regular iPads. Something.

I want a #2 Yellow one with a pink top.

I think the magic keyboard is a brilliant design. I cannot believe how much use/abuse I have put mine through and it works beautifully. I rarely take my macbook home anymore.

Same here; although my iPad is an adjunct to my Mac. Mine is one of the original ones and it still has only minor wear, despite being dragged all over the place in my bag while flying to clients.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I want a #2 Yellow one with a pink top.
I just bought a generic silicon cover on Amazon.

IMG_4873.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jlc1978

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
It’s taken as read that this is a rumour because this is a rumour site. The fact is that this is a rumour.
This site also reports on factual information, right? Yes, it’s called “MacRumors” but the reporting does not stop with just rumors. As long as that is the case, they should write accordingly and explicitly indicate what is rumor and what is not.

Reactions: TheNewLou

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020
Bought F83A from Doqo. As close to non-existent Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad Mini as you can get (and I have Apple's for my iPad Pro). Definitely does not suck beyond the point that you're trying to have keyboard for 8 inch device.

But I agree with you. Original would be nice. Especially with real USB-C pass-through.

I had not seen this one but the Amazon reviews are all over the place.. how long have you had it?

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Strange, I've had MacBooks since 2017 and not a mark on either 😏
If you take the laptop with you in your travels, it's very easy to scratch the screen with the keys, because the laptop is always next to other things in the bag or backpack that causes the pressure on the display surface to increase, hence making the inside part unkindly touch the keyboard.
On the other hand, if you only use the MacBook at home you might not have the same issue.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
magic keyboard needs a trackpad with the size of a normal laptop. the trackpad is simply far too small.
Let's qualify that with "a normal small laptop". Considering the keyboard probably cant be moved further back without your fingers hitting the iPad, they could only accomplish that if the keys were smaller, but is a better trackpad experience worth an inferior typing experience? If the 14"-16" iPad rumors are true you will get a MK with a larger trackpad.

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
File management isn't what compels people to have a Mac in addition to an iPad; there are other larger issues like desktop apps which do that. But the trend is for people to claim that anything they feel is lacking to be the thing which apple wont change because "they want to force you to also buy a Mac".

Desktop level apps need a real file management system, not the neutered Files app.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kal Madda

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you take the laptop with you in your travels, it's very easy to scratch the screen with the keys, because the laptop is always next to other things in the bag or backpack that causes the pressure on the display surface to increase, hence making the inside part unkindly touch the keyboard.
On the other hand, if you only use the MacBook at home you might not have the same issue.
I would argue that the iPad is far less likely to flex and touch the keyboard under the same pressure as a MacBook display is.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Desktop level apps need a real file management system, not the neutered Files app.
Sure, but you said that better file management is the thing which will stop people from also buying a Mac, which is simply not true. Even if the iPad had the MacOS Finder, people who need a Mac would still need a Mac to run their Mac apps. However, running all your Mac apps even with the existing Files app would reduce Mac sales. Of course you cant run Mac apps without a menubar which is something iPadOS doesn't have.

Last edited:

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Yeah, I suspect they might be pushing against the boundaries of the iPad. I don't see the iPad as a desktop replacement and don‘t use it like one.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I suspect they might be pushing against the boundaries of the iPad. I don't see the iPad as a desktop replacement and don‘t use it like one.
Yeah, there are fundamental differences between how files are handled between a touch OS and mouse OS. Even simple base functionality like single-tap vs double-click changes how you interact. The two OSes just work differently and frustration caused by these differences are the core of the "I need better file management" want.

Of course the power users who want to do all their Mac heavy lifting on the iPad are going to quickly encounter the thermal throttling joys of a thin, sealed device with no vents (even the MacBook Air has vents in the hinge) and a heat generating screen on one surface. #ipadthrottlegate #whycanti3drenderonanipadmini

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Use one magnet and charge on the other side. The visual and audio clue should be enough to let you know it's charging, as well as experience once you realize how it must be positioned.
This means you annoy half of your users by not letting them charge in the direction they’re used to, as well as make the pencil less stable when it’s attached.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.