Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wednesday (of the Adam’s Family; Netflix 2022-)- Outcasts, werewolves, vampires, sirens and other dark creatures need an education too! A monster (beyond the students), a murder mystery at Nevermore Academy.

Edit: Finished the season, after this post, thumbs up. :D

78BB5E07-72E0-4A53-9F64-8372EC74BAEF.png

My intent is not to ping on Jenna Ortega unfairly. She was tasked with playing a character who keeps hers emotions tightly in-check, who goes through an entire story (so far) with one expression, never blinking, actually bravo for that, yet it feels a bit one dimensional which I imagine was the assignment. However it gets old after 5 episodes where we are at. You can decern though her actions who she likes and dislikes while projecting an anti-social, loner, robot like quality. Data (StarTrek) with his emotion chip turned off has more personality. :)

However, I won’t say I dislike the portrayal, as I said, I think she is doing exactly what she was tasked to do, to portray this character, I just have not warmed up to her. And the story is interesting enough to hold my wife and I’s interest, but it is fair as this review describes it as goth Wednesday a variation on Hogwarts, with a continuous stream of droll observations coming from the main character, but little bite in the story, even as multiple people have been murdered.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wednesday (of the Adam’s Family; Netflix 2022-)- Outcasts, werewolves, vampires, sirens and other dark creatures need an education too! A monster (beyond the students), a murder mystery at Nevermore Academy.

Edit: Finished the season, after this post, thumbs up. :D

My intent is not to ping on Jenna Ortega unfairly. She was tasked with playing a character who keeps hers emotions tightly in-check, who goes through an entire story (so far) with one expression, never blinking, actually bravo for that, yet it feels a bit one dimensional which I imagine was the assignment. However it gets old after 5 episodes where we are at. You can decern though her actions who she likes and dislikes while projecting an anti-social, loner, robot like quality. Data (StarTrek) with his emotion chip turned off has more personality. :)

However, I won’t say I dislike the portrayal, as I said, I think she is doing exactly what she was tasked to do, to portray this character, I just have not warmed up to her. And the story is interesting enough to hold my wife and I’s interest, but it is fair as this review describes it as goth Wednesday a variation on Hogwarts, with a continuous stream of droll observations coming from the main character, but little bite in the story, even as multiple people have been murdered.

Just finished the season, I’ll give it a thumbs up! :D

Reactions: decafjava

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My wife has been watching The Nanny reruns on HBO for the last week, and damn it, I have that show’s theme song now running in my head. The Nanny is a funny show with clever writing although Fran Drescher is sexy, the accent gets on my nerves and that big hair. ;) :D

EDA34662-6232-4A87-B7B1-773D9BAA4C12.jpeg

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
For any fans of Waco O'Guin and Roger Black (Brickleberry, Farzar) is the 4th and final season of Paradise PD on Netflix (Dec 16th). Yes, I know Brickleberry was "Family Guy in the woods" and Paradise PD is "Family Guy in a police station", but I still laugh my azzz off at it. Plus, it has Rick and Morty's Beth! (Sarah Chalke)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My wife has been watching The Nanny reruns on HBO for the last week, and damn it, I have that show’s theme song now running in my head. The Nanny is a funny show with clever writing although Fran Drescher is sexy, the accent gets on my nerves and that big hair. ;) :D

Agreed... her voice and her laugh are like fingernails on a chalkboard... and I saw her on a celebrity game show - she talks and laughs just like that... WOW!

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Agreed... her voice and her laugh are like fingernails on a chalkboard... and I saw her on a celebrity game show - she talks and laughs just like that... WOW!

She can change it. :)

The Nanny’s voice granted it is exaggerated, but is closer to hers. She relates in an interview that an acting coach (I think) said she’d never work in the industry with that voice... :)

Speaking of accents: Daniel Davis as Niels the Butler, not bad for a guy from Arkansas… :D

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Harry and Meghan (2022 docu-series)- Excellent and balanced. The topic is highly charged especially in certain tabloids, so mind your critiques here. :D

The Second 3 episodes have dropped. 🤔
Way too much drama for me... they want "out" of the royal family and want their privacy, yet they agree to a multi-part docu-series wherein they abdicate control ... she even admitted that their story was being told through the lens of another... It's kind of like a train wreck that you cannot look away from. But, that's just my opinion.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Way too much drama for me... they want "out" of the royal family and want their privacy, yet they agree to a multi-part docu-series wherein they abdicate control ... she even admitted that their story was being told through the lens of another... It's kind of like a train wreck that you cannot look away from. But, that's just my opinion.
Ref: Harry and Meghan Documentary
My observation is they did not want out, nor demand privacy. Well, they did demand a certain amount of privacy, but the context must be considered. Both of them were used to media attention, but it was the vitriolic approach of the British tabloids which intensified the lies and harsh treatment, paparazzi crawling through their shrubbery, non-stop observation from helos and boats with the intent of formulating the next attack was non-stop, made that kind of attention unbearable.

Then there was the refusal of the Crown to push back on their behalf regarding the inaccuracies and outright lies, nor work with the couple, led to the split. In the words of Meghan Markle, and her perspective of how the Crown was dealing with the situation "I wasn't being thrown to the wolves. I was being fed to the wolves.” And Harry, who saw what happened to his Mother and how unhappy she was, and she was home grown.

If you want to understand the dynamics from the horse’s mouth, this series is a must view. As a generality, you’ll never get an accurate picture from the British tabloids.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Warrior Nun (2020-2022 Netflix)- A young woman wakes up in the morgue alive…what a premise! :D Four episodes in and still watching. The Series went from No.1 on Netflix, to canceled because not enough viewers watched Season 2 or so it is reported.

FC0F9E31-D726-4E38-B73F-B8319FC7A016.jpeg
Some bad ass nuns ready to slap you with a ruler! ;)

Reactions: Lasrjock

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

I remember way back when they showed it on some channel in order. Think I watched the whole series like three times

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Starting the HBO original series The Last of Us based on the video game series of the same name. I tried playing the game once, but never finished it because survival horror isn't really my jam. I liked the Netflix adaptation of Resident Evil, so I'm hoping I'll like this too.
View attachment 2142847
I liked it... set the tone. I am in!
That prologue though! Really set it up nicely. I'm definitely back next week!

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
That prologue though! Really set it up nicely. I'm definitely back next week!

Took me a couple minutes to realize that the familiar-looking TV host was Big Head Bighetti from Silicon Valley.

Not a gamer, and such adaptations aren't usually good, but decided to check this out based on the hype, and people involved, and it's a good start.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Starting the HBO original series Velma. All the social media news I've seen about it is about it being review-bombed on Rotten Tomatoes. But to be fair the critic reviews are pretty bad too. Time to see it for myself...
velma-11.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I started Severance (2022) on AppleTV. It’s got a really strange, if not outlandish premise, employess of “Lumen” a corporation agree to a medical procedure, a small pill size electronic cylinder is inserted in their brain which puts a memory block between the time they spend at work on presumably sensitive stuff, analyzing data which appears simply as groups of numbers which they have no idea what the significance of these numbers are, and a complete mental block with their personal life. The official reason for this procedure is so that employees will be more productive at work, not burdened by outside influences, and presumably protect corporate secrets, but what secrets? 🤔

What I want to know without significant spoilers if have you watched it, is it worthy?

A5C2E12A-C1AB-422D-958F-01CD38E4A412.jpeg

If you want to read more of my spoiler light observations, based on viewing 2 episodes:
In essence they wake up on a table at work after the procedure, and have zero memory of their past, are confused and have to go though an indoctrination.

Now this is just at work. When they get on the elevator to leave, their memories of all other aspects of their lives return, so in essence as long as they work for this corporation they live 2 complete and separate lives. And it’s so bad, on the work side of life, they feel like they are always there as far as their waking hours at work. They get on the elevator to leave, and immediately back on the elevator returning to work. It’s not so apparent, but the reverse must be said that their time off from work feels the same way.

I’ll set aside the idea this would ever become legal, and sounds like a recipe for psychosis and I’ll continue on without significant spoilers. :)

So as a viewer, you can ask yourself, would anyone ever agree to such outrageous work conditions? And after you get past that, the story is one of these employees during his time off is approached by a former employee, his immediate supervisor who was suddenly fired, and somehow has gotten some of his work memories back, so he (the one fired) knows they were friends at work. And the fired supervisor tells him, in essence, nothing is kosher at work. I’m not sold but I’ll invest 2 more hours to see how it goes. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
YMMV but from me, a big, resounding YES! To be honest, I didn't expect to say that but stick with it. Liking it as much as I ended up doing really surprised me.
Ref: Severance tv show
Thanks. I just don’t know. The sequence when employees have official interactions where they sit down to be to told a list of good qualities that their “outties” (the other half of their existence) have was so laughable, and hard to believe this would be enough to be validated.

Think about it, your generous, you have good sex (really? :D) , ok, but my work self, the only existence I can currently remember, does not get to experience any of that, just non-stop work. I wonder just how compromised these psyches are? My impression is enough to go a bit (maybe totally) bonkers because living a perceived half a life to the psyche of a human brain would, as I imagine it, be extremely detrimental. 🤔

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.