Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badepaz89

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2021
Why is it better to buy from ATT or Verizon?
You CAN buy cellular iPads directly from Apple and they will still work on AT&T. But the main reason to buy directly from AT&T is two reasons:

1) you may get a special offer that gives you a discount or a trade-in or some kind of bonus like a credit for adding a new line.

2) you can usually buy on an installment plan.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
I chatted with them during lunch and they said it wouldn’t start until Friday 🙄

timish

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
That’s cray cray as I just bought one an hour ago off the MYAt&t app.

Also got the new keyboard/trackpad and the pencil.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I just went to the AT&T chat, just for the fun of it, and asked when pre-orders start. After a five minute pause - where he was most likely furiously typing away on Microsoft Teams trying to find someone who knew the answer - he responded that it’s “tomorrow” Thursday. And this was on the Sales department chat! This is what I mean about phone and chat staff…they don’t really have any personal knowledge of the company's plans; they just answer the phone and have some kind of guide with answers to common questions and training of how to use the website. So even his answer that it’s “tomorrow”…I take that with a grain of salt. It’s not their fault, necessarily, it’s just the way large companies work. Disappointing, but expected.
No joke... Apple doesn't tell the carriers anything about the devices until everyone watches it live via the keynote and/or press release. The carriers have folks on standby ready to stand up all the web pages, ordering systems, etc. when the announcements go out. And they work around the clock to get them available ASAP. The carriers know that any hour(s) of delay is potentially missed sales, but there's a lot of work that goes into getting it all ready to sell/pre-order.

Jbass121212

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2020
Verizon updated their news room article yesterday. It will be the 10th according to this article.

michlc88

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
I ordered last night but im expecting it to fail because att ID verification process is junk.
yep this is my first go around with att's crap id verification. already had a canceled order. attempting it again. about to say f it and their installment plan and get it thru apple with a friends EPP.

Reactions: Matcha

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
yep this is my first go around with att's crap id verification. already had a canceled order. attempting it again. about to say f it and their installment plan and get it thru apple with a friends EPP.
if you're still having issues the att agent gave me the number to att e-commerce: 855-837-2471 he was able to escalate my my ID verification I refreshed the page 2 hours later and it was settled. if you call the number select "att told me to call' option.

Reactions: michlc88

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You CAN buy cellular iPads directly from Apple and they will still work on AT&T. But the main reason to buy directly from AT&T is two reasons:

1) you may get a special offer that gives you a discount or a trade-in or some kind of bonus like a credit for adding a new line.

2) you can usually buy on an installment plan.

Question about the new AT&T iPads.

The last time I ordered an iPad from AT&T, the Apple Embedded SIM was usable only with AT&T but any physical SIM with an active plan will work on the pSIM slot.

For the eSIM+pSIM iPads, could you use any carrier on the eSIM or does AT&T still put restrictions on it?

michlc88

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Question about the new AT&T iPads.

The last time I ordered an iPad from AT&T, the Apple Embedded SIM was usable only with AT&T but any physical SIM with an active plan will work on the pSIM slot.

For the eSIM+pSIM iPads, could you use any carrier on the eSIM or does AT&T still put restrictions on it?
I had this with my 2021 iPad Pro. I’m guessing it’s their way of “locking” it but after the iPad is paid off you can get them to remove that restriction (with some work) because most their reps don’t know what you are talking about when you ask them for it. Search this forum or google for “carrier reveal” and you should get some more information on others attempting it. I am hoping these new iPads will work the same way especially now that there is no physical sim.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I had this with my 2021 iPad Pro. I’m guessing it’s their way of “locking” it but after the iPad is paid off you can get them to remove that restriction (with some work) because most their reps don’t know what you are talking about when you ask them for it. Search this forum or google for “carrier reveal” and you should get some more information on others attempting it. I am hoping these new iPads will work the same way especially now that there is no physical sim.

Thanks. I already know about "carrier reveal". I just can't be bothered to spend hours with customer service trying to get the restriction lifted.

Anyway, it's possible to get discounts on cellular iPad models nowadays as long as one is willing to wait a short while unlike before when retailers stuck to MSRP quite strictly.

themcfreak

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Austin
I had ordered yesterday. Got it cancelled due to 'ID Verification' failed today. I called, they told me to go to a store. Went to a store, they said preorders go live tomorrow (while acknowledging they could see it on sale online).

Called 611 again, they tried, but ended up saying they think it is failing because it doesn't go on sale until tomorrow, and to try then. They validated my ID was valid and couldn't push anything through still.

Why do I stick with them.. LOL

Reactions: Matcha

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
Personally I’m waiting for BestBuy to offer the cellular models on installment so I can pick it up in store. I also have way more success with ATT through Best Buy than ATT directly

tomms11

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
Pennsylvania
Personally I’m waiting for BestBuy to offer the cellular models on installment so I can pick it up in store. I also have way more success with ATT through Best Buy than ATT directly
I don’t know if they will this year since they are only e-Sim. Hopefully I’m wrong and they eventually offer them.

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
I don’t know if they will this year since they are only e-Sim. Hopefully I’m wrong and they eventually offer them.
Well, Apple Watch and iPhone are eSIM and they still offer. I’m assuming that iPad would be no different

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.