Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last week updated the iPad Pro with the M4 chip, marking the first time that it introduced an M-series chip in an iPad instead of a Mac. However, the first Macs equipped with the M4 chip will allegedly be released in a matter of months.

M4-Mac-Mini-Feature.jpg

In his latest Power On newsletter on Sunday, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said the MacBook Pro and Mac mini will be updated with the M4 series of chips later this year. Specifically, he expects a 14-inch MacBook Pro with the M4 chip, 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with M4 Pro and M4 Max chips, and Mac mini models with M4 and M4 Pro chips.

He expects the MacBook Air, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro to be updated with M4-series chips throughout 2025, but he did not mention the iMac.

Gurman had already shared a roadmap for M4 Macs, but he was more definitive this time with his claim that the first Macs with the M4 chip will be released later this year, rather than at some point between late 2024 and early 2025. October is a common month for Apple to release new Macs, so the MacBook Pro and Mac mini could be updated in around five months from now if Gurman's timeframes prove to be accurate.

Geekbench 6 results show that the M4 chip is up to 25% faster than the M3 chip for multi-core CPU performance. Manufactured with TSMC's second-generation 3nm process, the M4 chip is also more power efficient than the M3 chip.

Article Link: When to Expect the First Macs With the M4 Chip to Launch

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
He expects the MacBook Air, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro to be updated with M4-series chips throughout 2025
The MacBook Air not getting updated until 2025 is a bit of a surprise; it seems like it usually gets updated within ~6 months of a new chip coming out... I guess the MBA getting a refresh in March threw the schedule off? 😅

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
I can maybe wait until October, but my M1 Pro 14" with 16GB of RAM is starting to feel kinda cramped. I ALMOST got an M3 Pro with 36GB but the iPad M4 rumor at the last minute made me wait. I'm glad I did but I'm going to start getting anxious by fall. LOL

Reactions: blob.DK

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
While not in the market for a Mac Studio anytime soon (bought an M2 Max in August), I would not mind seeing Apple surprise us with the rest of the desktops being updated to M4 / M4 Pro / M4 Max / M4 Ultra at WWDC.

I do not see the MacBook Pro moving to the M4 family until Fall 2024 and MacBook Air in Q1 2025.

BradMacPro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005

Apple last week updated the iPad Pro with the M4 chip, marking the first time that it introduced an M-series chip in an iPad instead of a Mac. However, the first Macs equipped with the M4 chip will allegedly be released in a matter of months.

In his latest Power On newsletter on Sunday, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said the MacBook Pro and Mac mini will be updated with the M4 series of chips later this year. Specifically, he expects a 14-inch MacBook Pro with the M4 chip, 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with M4 Pro and M4 Max chips, and Mac mini models with M4 and M4 Pro chips.

He expects the MacBook Air, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro to be updated with M4-series chips throughout 2025, but he did not mention the iMac.

Gurman had already shared a roadmap for M4 Macs, but he was more definitive this time with his claim that the first Macs with the M4 chip will be released later this year, rather than at some point between late 2024 and early 2025. October is a common month for Apple to release new Macs, so the MacBook Pro and Mac mini could be updated in around five months from now if Gurman's timeframes prove to be accurate.

[SNIP]
That sucks. Only a few days ago, the thinking was the Mac Studio, long over due and high profit margin would get an update in June for WWDC and the benefit of developers working on new AI features that take advantage of iOS 18 and macOS 15.

Reactions: 211

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
How does "throughout 2025" measure up against the M5 coming out with 12-15 months though? The fact that M4 came out so quickly (probably because of AI coming at WWDC) makes me think they will either go longer before an M5 (such as fall 2025) or get it in machines a bit faster (although they are up against yield issues of new process).

However, what is annoying is ending up with an iMac or Mac Mini or Mac Studio that skip a generation and take forever to update. I don't want an M4 iPad Pro right now but an iMac still on M3 2.5 years from now. Or a MBA Air on M3 forever. Or neglected Mac mini, or Studio.

Will be interesting to see what the roadmap becomes.

Reactions: ruka21

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2020
51.531011,-0.023979
It looks like Apple will go all-in with M4, hopefully updating all its Macs with it soon. M3 looks like it was a stop gap. I’m in the market for a Mac Studio. It was released in 2022, updated with M2 in 2023 so it’s possible that the M4 version will be out this year

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Either 2024 or 2025

Hopefully M4 won't have the same critical hardware flaw of M1, M2 and M3.
It is a hard wired bug… but software mitigations and the fact the exploit is only exploitable under certain conditions meanits practically a non issue for essentially anyone.

In any case, M4 could have a bug, whether it is found or not, and again… it can be patched…

There are way more pertinent security issues for users

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.