Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Camera Brand Do You Prefer?

• Leica

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Nikon

Votes: 56 30.1%
  • Canon

Votes: 88 47.3%
  • Olympus

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Pentax

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Fuji

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Richoh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kodak

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Samsung

• Sony

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Konica Minolta

• Vivitar

• Polaroid

• Camera Phone Only

• Screw Photography, I draw my images

• Other

• Total voters

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
Easy. Canon. I had Nikon bodies back in my film day and crossed over with the D70. Since then went 20D and then full frame with the 1DsII. I've been more than pleased with my purchase and my experience with the cameras. The images are a lot more crisp with Canon and the colors aren't as saturated (comparing the 20D to the D70).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I prefer Nikons. My family and I have had 6 Canon point and shoots, so when hunting for DSLRs, I was 99.9% convinced that I was going to get whatever entry level Canon DSLR was on the market. I went to the store, picked up a 350D, and thought, "No, this can't be. How can I be having second thoughts? This is Canon we're talking about --- good ol' Canon. That camera company I was so sure of." Anyway, I picked up a D70s, and thought it felt much better. The D50 felt incredible. Anyway, I went home to do more research on the D50, and realized it was what I wanted. It took great photos, including under low light when compared to the 350D. Nikon also had several lenses that I really wanted. :)

If I had to go with another company, it'd be either Canon (not the 400D, but the 30D), or Pentax. I'll never be a pro, and I'm not a particularly picky person when it comes to superfine details (not even in my photos), so I think both companies would serve me well. :)

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
To bad I cant pic two because over here theres a Canon camcorder/camera and my Vivitar 3MP camera (3780s)

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Whatever you vote is always in italics, is it not?

And, I'm a Canon guy after being a Minolta guy, but got tired of waiting for a dSLR from Minolta...

Although, if I most likely would not have been a Canon guy if the 350 was my only option...

mchendricks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Central Florida
Nikon!

I've used Nikons the past 17 years. I've enjoyed the 4 that I've owned. I currently use the F100 for film and D100 for digital imaging.

I've even passed down/(up?) a Nikon film camera to my dad who used a Canon for decades.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Only 6.25% of us use Pentax? This really is a Mac forum!;)

I prefer the feel and quality I get from the Pentax line. I feel like in my price range I couldn't do any better. So I'll probably be shooting a K110 or K100 fairly soon. Damn college...:confused: Getting educated distracts me from spending all my money on a camera.

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
I've got an Olympus E-300.
Takes fantastic images and is very fast and easy to use.
I'm just a little miffed that the software needed to upgrade the firmware wasn't included with the camera.
Olympus also has some very innovative features not found on the others.
And the price is right for the basic cameras and lenses. Professional grade lenses are available but are quite expensive. The consumer grade lenses are just fine and lightweight.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
wow. another vote for Canon!:)

I can't afford the setup I need (well my wife says we cant;) )
so I'm actually using a new Panasonic Lumix DZ 50 and it takes some superb pictures. Low light shots tend to get a lot of noise in them, though... but since I use it at the beach 90 percent of the time, this super zoom is perfect and it's always sunny here in Florida.:eek:

garfield2002

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
We are certainly a Canon family. Only P&S so far, started with an Olympus in 2000 which I admit had a great lens but only a 1.3 MP sensor. When I went to replace the Olympus I discovered that I did not like the output of the Olympus line at that time, I don't know why, everyone seemed to be moving to cheaper lenses and bodies. Eventually settled on an awesome Canon S45 and haven't looked back.

When I'm ready for a dSLR it'll be equivalent to a 400D/XTi and I'm drooling over some L glass which I'll never be able to afford. :) I have smaller hands and I find the D50 too big.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I started off with a Rebel XT. Moved up to a piece of L glass and a 30D. Now I'm finally using a full-frame camera (5D). The standard zoom lens ranges make so much more sense when you're on a full frame camera!!

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
well, i currently have a nikon N8008 35mm SLR, Fuji V-10 digital compact, and am looking at DSLRs from pentax, olympus, nikon, and canon (in that order of seriousness). i used to have a sony cybershot compact, which TOTALLY SUCKED!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I wonder if the answers to this Poll is an "age" thing.

Those of us who were brought up on film, developing tanks and stained fingers and are old enough to have owned equipment in the 60's+ will no doubt concur that the likes of Leica (rangefinder), Nikon, Pentax (SLR) and Rolleiflex (TLR) ruled the roost.

Nowadays, in the digital era, Canon has joined Nikon in the lead.

Whatever the brand and accepting the fact that the process of photography is so much easier in this day and age, I often wonder if the final results have kept pace with these improvements??

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
I am surprised that Canon & Nikon dominate the poll. While I knew they would be on top, I didn't think they would be running away with it.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I'm presently switching rapidly between a Canon AE-1 and a Kodak DX3600 during the course of most shooting I do; I am, however, planning on replacing the DX3600 and most of the AE-1 with a Nikon D50 very soon.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
RE: Canon

I'm a professional photographer and only shoot Canon and we use all MACs.

Currently using the 5D with all "L" glass and LIFE IS GOOD..

Canon:
5D
70-200 f2.8L IS
24-70 f2.8L
580EX

Apple:
Digital Darkroom: G5 Quad, 2.55GZhz, 4GB RAM with 30" ACD
Studio Mgmt: MacMini with 20" ACD
Road Warrior: 17" C2D MacBook Pro, 160GB HD, 3GB RAM (on order).

CF: 22GB of SanDisk Extreme III (will now move to IV)

G-Technologies:
Darkroom backup: G-Drive 500GB 7200RPM FW800 Drive
On the road: G-Drive Mini 100GB, 7200RPM FW800 Drive

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
For all the "think different" around here, most people don't. ;)
Hear! Hear!

It's the same in all the "What camera to get"-threads. You might get a few different options at first until the Canon and Nikon crowds move in and makes it into a Nikon-Canon "competition".

Open your eyes, there are other options out there (and I'm not even talking about Minol... æh... Sony Alpha).

Thanks for the welcome, BTW... :)

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I used to own Nikon film cameras, and now I have Sony, Fuji, Canon and Pentax. I"ll buy whatever camera I think suits my needs, based on functional criteria. Brand loyalty is for suckers.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Brand loyalty is for suckers.

Hear hear.

I went for a Nikon D70 v the 350D when I was buying, primrily because I preferred the feel of the Nikon in my hand. I got my wife a Konica-Minolta P & S for Christmas last year, and use the Sony Ericsson k750i for my own on-the-go needs (peviously a Fuji that was umitigated crap).

The best camera is the one that suits your needs.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Hear! Hear!

It's the same in all the "What camera to get"-threads. You might get a few different options at first until the Canon and Nikon crowds move in and makes it into a Nikon-Canon "competition".

Open your eyes, there are other options out there (and I'm not even talking about Minol... æh... Sony Alpha).

Thanks for the welcome, BTW... :)
You mean like when I had a thread on which cameras to get and specifically listed out choices and people still said:

Nikon D50!!!

Canon Digital Rebel!!!!

Do you think you could extend your list to include the D50?

Why isn't there a Canon on your list?

Why do you like Pentax? Get a D50. Everyone likes a D50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.