Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Paranoia setting in. Speck cases have Microban infused into the case as mentioned on their packaging and website as a selling point. Microban consists of Triclosan which has been known to cause cancer. It’s recommended that if you use hand sanitizer to stay away from handling Triclosan because it can enter the blood stream through the tiny cracks in skin. I’m wondering what the dissipation of Microban/Triclosan is when handling a phone case for extended periods of time (years of daily use)? I use my phone quite a bit for business and have it on my person from morning until night. I’m curious if there’s any absorption of Triclosan from Speck’s cases. And yes, I know this sounds insane.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Paranoia setting in. Speck cases have Microban infused into the case as mentioned on their packaging and website as a selling point. Microban consists of Triclosan which has been known to cause cancer. It’s recommended that if you use hand sanitizer to stay away from handling Triclosan because it can enter the blood stream through the tiny cracks in skin. I’m wondering what the dissipation of Microban/Triclosan is when handling a phone case for extended periods of time (years of daily use)? I use my phone quite a bit for business and have it on my person from morning until night. I’m curious if there’s any absorption of Triclosan from Speck’s cases. And yes, I know this sounds insane.

So it will stop germs/bacteria but could give you Cancer ;) would be a question to ask Speck?

Reactions: nrvous1

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
So it will stop germs/bacteria but could give you Cancer ;) would be a question to ask Speck?
Lol! That’s what I was thinking. No germs, but watch out!!! May cause cancer and birth defects.

I sent Speck an email earlier today asking about the safety of their cases. And possibly linked articles to the long term use of Triclosan in human studies, preferably not pubmed articles. I also sent an inquiry to the FDA.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Lol! That’s what I was thinking. No germs, but watch out!!! May cause cancer and birth defects.

I sent Speck an email earlier today asking about the safety of their cases. And possibly linked articles to the long term use of Triclosan in human studies, preferably not pubmed articles. I also sent an inquiry to the FDA.

How you liking your Nomad rugged? Are your volume buttons a bit stiffer than the power?

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
How you liking your Nomad rugged? Are your volume buttons a bit stiffer than the power?
I only used it for about a day then I switched to a Spigen liquid air. The buttons are really hard to press on the Nomad case so I’ll save it for another day. ?

Yes, the volume buttons are tough to press and the power button is hard to find and also really hard to press since it’s flush with the rest of the case border. To bad because I really wanted to use this case for the long term.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I only used it for about a day then I switched to a Spigen liquid air. The buttons are really hard to press on the Nomad case so I’ll save it for another day. ?

Yes, the volume buttons are tough to press and the power button is hard to find and also really hard to press since it’s flush with the rest of the case border. To bad because I really wanted to use this case for the long term.

Yeah it's a bit better then the active i returned, but is turning me off after using the symmetry and apple case buttons. Interesting it's exactly the same weight as the OB. Might return it no point swapping seems like they all will be like it.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Yeah it's a bit better then the active i returned, but is turning me off after using the symmetry and apple case buttons. Interesting it's exactly the same weight as the OB. Might return it no point swapping seems like they all will be like it.
I swapped the Nomad back on just now. I’ll try and give it a week before I decide to completely write it off. And yes, the buttons are insanely satisfying on the OB symmetry. Lol.

Edit: I’ve also noticed some white color peaking through at the top of the Nomad case where the leather meets the TPU. It might be the glue Nomad uses.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I swapped the Nomad back on just now. I’ll try and give it a week before I decide to completely write it off. And yes, the buttons are insanely satisfying on the OB symmetry. Lol.

Edit: I’ve also noticed some white color peaking through at the top of the Nomad case where the leather meets the TPU. It might be the glue Nomad uses.

I am not seeing that, have had one before that was sharp where they meet.

OB have done a great job on the Symmetry, its same weight, height, thickness, and with better buttons than the nomad, just a bit wider.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
I am not seeing that, have had one before that was sharp where they meet.

OB have done a great job on the Symmetry, its same weight, height, thickness, and with better buttons than the nomad, just a bit wider.
I can’t do it. Lol, swapped back to my Spigen liquid air. I am also just turned off by this Nomad case and will be returning it. I have their leather straps for my series 5 watch and those are awesome! This case has been a miss for me.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I can’t do it. Lol, swapped back to my Spigen liquid air. I am also just turned off by this Nomad case and will be returning it. I have their leather straps for my series 5 watch and those are awesome! This case has been a miss for me.

Yeah me too, i had their sport watch band it was good, not leather though.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Hasn't been mentioned for awhile, who's still digging The Sheath? Even with 35% off and shipping from Caudabe can get it for same price here now.

Or is the Synthesis better?

eddiezus

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2019
Just received my replacement UAG Civilian case and the orange borders are turning black too!
[automerge]1574650929[/automerge]
Also got a battery smart case today, man it weighs a bit, rang up to do a return and they said keep it and have refunded me $199 Here. Not sure what to do with it now.
How did they let you keep it + give you a refund? o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.