Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2023
After all the hand wringing and returns (I still have over a dozen in the case drawer), this ended up being my #1 case for the year. It’s been on the phone for over a month, which is a record.
How does it compare to the symmetry? not sag mine doesn’t have it lol

Reactions: Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
How does it compare to the symmetry? not sag mine doesn’t have it lol
I like the Symmetry too. The Synthesis has a tighter fit, is shallower and narrower, and has better side grip. The Symmetry is lighter, has better buttons, and I like the simpler look (not a fan of the weird cutout on the Synthesis). It’s essentially a toss up, but the Synthesis just slightly wins for me due to the better fit and form factor.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
The Synthesis is a great case. I agree that the camera cut out isn’t my favorite, but my biggest gripe is that the back gets shiny scratches on it. FAST. I have gotten two replacements and they all get it, and I keep it in my back pocket with nothing else so I’m not sure what’s scratching it so easily?!

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
In other news: my current rotation has been the all black Defender XT (great case) and the all black Gripmunk… when I need a bit of protection I go with XT, and I like the way it feels in hand. When I need a slimmer feel, the Gripmunk is clutch! Haven’t reached for any other cases in a while now.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
The Synthesis is a great case. I agree that the camera cut out isn’t my favorite, but my biggest gripe is that the back gets shiny scratches on it. FAST. I have gotten two replacements and they all get it, and I keep it in my back pocket with nothing else so I’m not sure what’s scratching it so easily?!
Hmm, mine literally has zero scratches on the back. Not sure why the different experiences…

• Wow
Reactions: Joe123Joe

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
In other news: my current rotation has been the all black Defender XT (great case) and the all black Gripmunk… when I need a bit of protection I go with XT, and I like the way it feels in hand. When I need a slimmer feel, the Gripmunk is clutch! Haven’t reached for any other cases in a while now.
Doesn't the black XT get scratches on the back also?
Does the Magsafe ring leave marks on the black back?

Sold mine off, maybe I should have kept it.

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Hmm, mine literally has zero scratches on the back. Not sure why the different experiences…
This one isn’t even as bad as the last, but I threw the old ones out. They were all diced up lol

Attachments

• IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 80

Joe123Joe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2022
Doesn't the black XT get scratches on the back also?
Does the Magsafe ring leave marks on the black back?

Sold mine off, maybe I should have kept it.
I haven’t had any scratches on mine. I think last year I kind of came to the conclusion that the smaller pro model gets less scratches because it’s a smaller area and the rubber edges kind of keep it lifted off surfaces. I could be way off but that’s the only thing that makes sense. I love this case. I brought it back from the dead (out of the drawer of death lol) and slapped it on my phone a few weeks ago because I was bored with my current rotation and I have been loving it ever since. Sometimes I feel like coming back to a case you might not have liked a few months ago gives you a new perspective on it!

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
All this Symmetry talk, think I'll dig out my old green HooterBox Symmetry later today o_O

Still have the black, green and RealTree symmetry cases in the box somewhere

Absolutely one of my favorite cases for the 15PM

go01.jpg
go04.jpg

Reactions: AE14 and Zensō

i007

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Tri-State
I always end up back with the silicone case. Just such a great fit and feel.

My current one did start to peel a bit so I contacted Apple (since they have the one year warranty) and I was able to get a replacement. I even got to pick a new color!
I feel the same. I bought the clay silicone on release day and still have it. Throughout the years I always go back to the silicone. Partly because when I’m home I remove it and go caseless. The silicone is so easy to pop it in and out and still retains its shape.

Reactions: ATmahe

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Which case has the tallest protective edges surrounding the screen of iPhone 15 Pro Max? Most cases have protective lid of about 1-1.3mm tall. Is there something special about 1.3mm? I don't find it tall enough to protect the screen when the screen is landed on a rugged surface. I would prefer something like 2mm.

Why big stores no longer sell the Otterbox Defender "Pro"?

Last edited:
Reactions: rmadsen3

Surfsalot

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2023
I threw the Symmetry back on the phone today. No doubt it’s a nice case with very few flaws (I had one with slop around the port, the replacement is good). Coming from the Synthesis I do miss the grip on the sides, but I think I’ll keep the Symmetry on for a while - the buttons are so much better! Ironically, the Symmetry was the first case I bought this year - probably should‘ve stopped there… lol.
yeah was the first case I bought too and only one I have now, I like the grip on the sides.
no better case for buttons.

jedi31780

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
My issue that's stops me from buying a Symmetry is that smaller magnet for MagSafe. One of my Synthesis had the issue of that small magnet getting stuck on my phone and ended up getting a replacement.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
My issue that's stops me from buying a Symmetry is that smaller magnet for MagSafe. One of my Synthesis had the issue of that small magnet getting stuck on my phone and ended up getting a replacement.
I’ve yet to see a complaint about the small magnet coming loose on a Symmetry.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2023
no issue with mine have used it for 6 months straight

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.