Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
The iPhone that gave me the biggest wow factor is still the iPhone 4. Just a beautiful design.

No point in rating in terms of performance as they will obviously get better every year.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I never understand this question. Won't the newest iPhone always be the best iPhone to date?

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
iPhone 7 Plus is the best iPhone to date. It had everything including a dual camera.

The iPhone 7 isn’t too far behind nor is the 6s Plus.

However the 7 Plus in matte black is a thing of ABDOLUTE BEAUTY. No antenna bands (unnoticeable), beautiful black front. The quad core processor. The phone is a marvel and I’ll have a hard time parting with it in a month.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
iPhone 2GS best iPhone until now. It is so extremely cheap, if Texting or calling is your main priority. Well, that's the most important function of iPhone isn't it.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
If we’re judging each phone as a product of its time and looking at the impact they had at time of release, then for me it’s the iPhone 4. Beautiful design that really stood apart from the competition and the first iPhone to really compete in terms of camera ability. The iPhone 4s was a strong refinement of this.

Judging them all by current standards, for me it’s the 8 Plus. The iPhone X was an interesting direction to take, whichever way you look at it, but it hasn’t exactly set the world on fire and there’s still a lot of consumers to be won over.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
The iPhone SE is the best iPhone to date, hands down.

Amazing battery life.
Iconic design.
Durable.
Comfortable to use in one hand.
Fits in your pocket.
Super fast.
Apple Pay.
TouchID.
Great camera.
Headphone Jack.

You forgot “worst display since the iPhone 3GS”.

Check out the displaymate review of the SE screen. A huge step down from the 5s in all aspects except crazy eye-burning brightness.

SE is near-perfect, but the poor contrast, screen door effect and washed out colours ruins it for me.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Design wise, iPhone 4. At that time, it was unmatched in the sea of plastic creaky phones.

Second would be the iPhone 5, on how light it was. I was truly amazed when I got mine and lifted it. I though it was a dummy.

Reactions: Superhappytree

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
You forgot “worst display since the iPhone 3GS”.

Check out the displaymate review of the SE screen. A huge step down from the 5s in all aspects except crazy eye-burning brightness.

SE is near-perfect, but the poor contrast, screen door effect and washed out colours ruins it for me.
I haven’t seen that review but as someone who went direct from a 5S to an SE I think that’s nonsense, or at least hugely exaggerated - the two are completely indistinguishable from each other.

natandste

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2015
The 8 plus is insane for battery life best I've seen for me in a iphone plus device
the x has some great features but to be honest they're not game changing enough to justify the price so I'm happy with my 8+
If the x is first gen of its kind so the next gen x I may consider upgrading to depending on new features

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
There's no doubt in my mind the X is the finest iPhone ever made. It is an absolute pleasure to use.

If it could evolve to be lighter with a shrinking notch + allowing 3rd party Apps as default (Google Maps/Assistant) then Apple will be well on their way to having the perfect smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.