Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
if Apple would stop making phones obsolete with unnecessary updates, forcing people to drop $1,000 on new hardware every couple of years ... the iPhone 7+ would be the last cell phone I would ever need.

This practice alone should be fixed to protect consumers from this type of corporate greed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
if Apple would stop making phones obsolete with unnecessary updates

You mean the updates and patches that protect the user from malicious activity like Spectre and Meltdown? They offer almost five years of updates compared to Androids two years. You’re tossing the term ‘Obsolete’ to loosely.

if Apple would stop making phones forcing people to drop $1,000 on new hardware every couple of years .

False. Apple doesn’t force consumers to spend a “$1000” on a phone. Again, there phones are supported approximately five years m and they have quality hardware that outlasts well past its lifespan.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
if Apple would stop making phones obsolete with unnecessary updates, forcing people to drop $1,000 on new hardware every couple of years ... the iPhone 7+ would be the last cell phone I would ever need.

This practice alone should be fixed to protect consumers from this type of corporate greed.
I don’t think you’re forced to give up your 7+. Technology changes and that’s how it is. The a10 is still a strong processor. I can’t imagine how much more demanding apps can get that an a10 or a11 will struggle to run them. Most people are on an upgrade program or sell their phones every year or 2, and use that money to upgrade. I don’t believe anyone is stuck or forced to upgrade. I’m sure this forum will be bombarded with posts from 8/8+ owners asking if they are “safe” to upgrade to iOS 12 or not.

Reactions: andondragov
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.