Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which case did you get? (Leather Pro Max)

• Dark Cherry

Votes: 28 20.0%
  • Wisteria

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • Golden Brown

Votes: 23 16.4%
  • Sequoia Green

Votes: 23 16.4%
  • Midnight

Votes: 49 35.0%

• Total voters

Sammy in SoCal

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I’ve been very pleased with wisteria. I feel the photos of it don’t do it justice.
Agreed. I also think there’s a psychological aspect of it not being too popular. The name. Wisteria? Like hysteria? malaria? Just kidding, it just doesn’t sound like a color

Last edited:

Dstopsie

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I love the look of my blue pro max with the dark cherry case. I even ended up buying the dark cherry MagSafe wallet.
I bought the dark cherry braided band for my Series 6 SBSS Hermes Apple Watch i love the color so much!!!

Attachments

• 57705C03-03AB-4251-A4BB-0626126769C8.jpeg
    57705C03-03AB-4251-A4BB-0626126769C8.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 25191AD0-2B44-42E5-98C3-0C38912A51EE.jpeg
    25191AD0-2B44-42E5-98C3-0C38912A51EE.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 21B1401E-7F50-48AE-8945-1F270ABC86DD.jpeg
    21B1401E-7F50-48AE-8945-1F270ABC86DD.jpeg
    424.6 KB · Views: 197

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
I actually thought the exact same thing. It seems to me much more difficult to get the Apple leather case off the new phone. I thought my iPhone 12 Pro came out of the Apple leather case too easily.
I push through where the camera lenses are to pop it off then wipe the lenses.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
I push through where the camera lenses are to pop it off then wipe the lenses.
Yep, that’s a good way to do it - I do the same. I actually picked up the clear Apple iPhone case too this year as I thought it would be neat to see the phone for a change. Just haven’t been able to bring myself to try it. The clear plastic case seems slippery and immediately showed finger prints the moment I touched it. I also didn’t consider that it had that white MagSafe ring on the back which I don’t like.

I’ve always liked the Apple leather cases and this year for me I guess is no exception.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Yep, that’s a good way to do it - I do the same. I actually picked up the clear Apple iPhone case too this year as I thought it would be neat to see the phone for a change. Just haven’t been able to bring myself to try it. The clear plastic case seems slippery and immediately showed finger prints the moment I touched it. I also didn’t consider that it had that white MagSafe ring on the back which I don’t like.

I’ve always liked the Apple leather cases and this year for me I guess is no exception.
That white ring is horrendous on the clear cases. I'm not a fan of magsafe anyway. Returned mine. Too slow, too hot and too expensive. I just use the 20W Apple usb C to lighning and plug it in. In all the tests its twice as fast as the magsafe.

Torras and Spigen on Amazon have great clear cases that are not nearly as slippery and have clear grippable bumpers, but I buy one Apple leather and silicone for every iphone for non wet and wet weather respectively. I got the Sierra Blue Max and the Midnight leather and Abyss Blue silicon. Love them.

Reactions: Crz10 and KO7

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
That white ring is horrendous on the clear cases. I'm not a fan of magsafe anyway. Returned mine. Too slow, too hot and too expensive. I just use the 20W Apple usb C to lighning and plug it in. In all the tests its twice as fast as the magsafe.

Torras and Spigen on Amazon have great clear cases that are not nearly as slippery and have clear grippable bumpers, but I buy one Apple leather and silicone for every iphone for non wet and wet weather respectively. I got the Sierra Blue Max and the Midnight leather and Abyss Blue silicon. Love them.
Thanks for taking the time out to respond to my message. I’m going to take a look at the clear cases you’ve suggested - just so sometimes I can see all of the phone when I’m using it. For now my Sierra Blue Max will be encased in the Golden Brown Apple Leather Case.

Reactions: michial

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I've been to the Apple store twice to try out cases, and I liked all of the Dark Cherry, Sequoia Green, and Wisteria about equally. I thought they were all beautiful and worked well with my Sierra Blue 13 Pro. However, at $60 a pop, it's not like changing tee shirts, and I don't like to wear the same color every day. So I ended up getting the Midnight. I've only ever had black cases, and I've never once got tired of the color or even thought about it after slapping the case on. (There's an old saying that seems to apply here. lol)

The Apple leather case is definitely more comfortable to hold than the Smartish Gripmunk case I bought when I ordered the phone. While I loved my iPhone 7 Smartish (formerly Silk) case, the 13pro is thicker and has the right-angle edges due to the different phone shape, and their Gripmunk case exacerbates those things. The Apple leather mitigates them, being a bit more rounded on the edges, less thick, and softer.

Reactions: michial

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
Midnight for me. Wisteria and Cherry have too much purple in them. I don’t do purple. Not sure of Apple’s thinking here.

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
"Not sure of Apple's thinking here" You might not do purple but a lot of other people might, what a self-centered thing to say...
Self centered? Sorry if I offended your woke sensitivity.

Who is a lot? Look at the graph data. I don’t see a lot of people posting Wisteria case love this year. Last year, everyone and their goldfish posted their phones in pacific blue case! How many have you seen Cherry case being loved? Mostly I see Midnight cases being posted. Because that is the only real choice this year for non-purple and non-bright as hell orange/brown case lovers. Heck even Sequoia green beats the non-midnight cases! And green is not exactly the color that goes with much of anything except Graphite.

I bet you that apple will correct this by mid year.

There are 5 official leather cases. Two have purple in them. 40%. Why? Why not just have Wisteria. Great. Why does Cherry must have purple? Is apple running out of colors? What was wrong with last year’s color palette?

Sierra blue is the franchise color this year yet has no case for it unless the color purple is your thing. Wisteria is supposed to be the”it” color this year to go along with Sierra blue but it isn’t. Look at the data…that Wisteria color is dead last tied with golden crap. Look at how many people bought Sierra blue!!!! And then look at Wisteria being dead last!! Something does not compute here. Most popular iPhone color. Yet the case that is supposed to go along with it is dead last in preference! Huh?! Weird, right?!

Again, what do you mean “a lot”?? Because data says otherwise.

Pacific blue would have been perfect. Instead the only real choice is Midnight, which is basically black with a very slight hint of blue only under certain light conditions. Yet this black color is killing it, probably because that is the only decent choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillyphil0302

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
Self centered? Sorry if I offended your woke sensitivity.

Who is a lot? Look at the graph data. I don’t see a lot of people posting Wisteria case love this year. Last year, everyone and their goldfish posted their phones in pacific blue case! How many have you seen Cherry case being loved? Mostly I see Midnight cases being posted. Because that is the only real choice this year for non-purple and non-bright as hell orange/brown case lovers. Heck even Sequoia green beats the non-midnight cases! And green is not exactly the color that goes with much of anything except Graphite.

I bet you that apple will correct this by mid year.

There are 5 official leather cases. Two have purple in them. 40%. Why? Why not just have Wisteria. Great. Why does Cherry must have purple? Is apple running out of colors? What was wrong with last year’s color palette?

Sierra blue is the franchise color this year yet has no case for it unless the color purple is your thing. Wisteria is supposed to be the”it” color this year to go along with Sierra blue but it isn’t. Look at the data…that Wisteria color is dead last tied with golden crap. Look at how many people bought Sierra blue!!!! And then look at Wisteria being dead last!! Something does not compute here. Most popular iPhone color. Yet the case that is supposed to go along with it is dead last in preference! Huh?! Weird, right?!

Again, what do you mean “a lot”?? Because data says otherwise.

Pacific blue would have been perfect. Instead the only real choice is Midnight, which is basically black with a very slight hint of blue only under certain light conditions. Yet this black color is killing it, probably because that is the only decent choice.

There’s a few of us. The only other colour I even thought about was the other purplish one - cherry. I would not have considered pacific blue, and didn’t like that colour at all on a phone or a case. I will not use a black case or a midnight navy colour. I don’t like dark, bland cases. Truth be told - I would have preferred a purple pro phone over the sierra blue.

Not everyone lives to post case pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions: StaceyBink

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
Data says otherwise. According to graph above, Wisteria is dead last in preference. And Cherry is next to last. So much for people loving people.

You’re using a skewed poll on a techy site with a tiny data set of (likely) men as your metric?

Come on, dude.

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
You’re using a skewed poll on a techy site with a tiny data set of (likely) men as your metric?

Come on, dude.
This not like the election where you have enormous amount of data. So you get to analyze the tiny amount data that you can get.

My question still stands…why did apple feel the need to make traditionally gender-specific color on 40% of its cases?

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
Purple is gender specific?

Isn’t one of the most popular muscle car colours of all time plum crazy?

Edit

I also would never, ever call the dark cherry a feminine colour. And by your argument, men shouldn’t have bought sierra blue at all because in some lights, it looks downright lavender.

They offered three dark and two light options. Because not everyone wants a dark colour as their case. None of the dark colours are what you seem to be implying - that apple chose colours skewed to women. And frankly, it’s 2021 - are we not past the point of assigning gender to colour? Men have worn pink for decades now.

Last edited:

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
Purple is gender specific?

And frankly, it’s 2021 - are we not past the point of assigning gender to colour? Men have worn pink for decades now.
yes it is. You can dress however you want but don’t think that others need to do the same or have to agree with you.

Year 2021…is that supposed to mean something? Yeah, i think that the notion of no gender in this day and age is part of society’s issue. That sex and gender are somehow separate. But that is another argument for another time.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
yes it is. You can dress however you want but don’t think that others need to do the same or have to agree with you.

Year 2021…is that supposed to mean something? Yeah, i think that the notion of no gender in this day and age is part of society’s issue. That sex and gender are somehow separate. But that is another argument for another time.

I’m 46 years old. I’m not some ‘woke millennial’ (although I wont get started on the last part of your post). I just think it’s stupid to say that only girls can use purple items. I have never, ever thought for once that purple is for girls.

I’ll be sure to tell my senior citizen father in law that he’s feminine since his all time favourite colour is - yep - purple. Also, my 46 year old husband and his multiple purple shirts would like a word.

I could see your argument if it was pink. Maybe (although men wear pink all the time and have for decades). But purple?

Good lord.

Last edited:

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
I’m 46 years old. I’m not some ‘woke millennial’ (although I wont get started on the last part of your post). I just think it’s stupid to say that only girls can use purple items. I have never, ever thought for once that purple is for girls.
I’m a 52 year old male and the dark cherry is by far my favorite color Apple has put out in a long time. For starters, I don’t see purple. Plum, closer to maroon or “cherry” but in no way a traditional purple. I’m not into pastels at all, but using MT’s logic I could say that light blue phones are gender specific.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
I’m a 52 year old male and the dark cherry is by far my favorite color Apple has put out in a long time. For starters, I don’t see purple. Plum, closer to maroon or “cherry” but in no way a traditional purple. I’m not into pastels at all, but using MT’s logic I could say that light blue phones are gender specific.

Your last sentence nailed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.