Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hello,

what iPhone would you guys suggest to buy if one wants to avoid the obscolescence that Apple seems to have planned for a lot of models?

I was looking at cheap iPhone SE deals but I don't know for how long the newest iOS updates will be available for that model. Buyers Guide here says 'Don't Buy' for the SE.

I don't need the highest spec phone nor do I need a "life companion" type device... just need a cellphone that will last at least 3+ years.

iPhone 6 is probably near it's obsolete status, right?

What about the 7 or 8 models? X is way too expensive for me.

Is there a big hold out for buyers because we can expect some announcements?

Thanks in advance.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Well if you want the most "value" the 8 or 8 Plus. They have the same internals as the X anyways with the exception of panel and camera's. The A11 is the best SoC on the market still so you don't haver to worry about it being slow or anything for a while. The 7 wouldn't be bad as well since the A10 isn't bad either.

Reactions: Reno Raines

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm very confident any of the iPhones currently sold on Apple.com will be supported for 3+ years.

iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, and iPhone X - will all still be able to upgrade to iOS 15 or iOS 16 in 2021 or 2022.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
I would personally say the 7 Plus is where value is in the iPhone line-up.

You get:
  • More durable aluminium back Vs Glass.
  • Solid camera performance - Portrait mode, mostly stands up to the 8 Plus.
  • 4k 30 fps Video recording Vs 60 fps in the 8 Plus.
  • Good battery life - Similar to 8 Plus.
  • Good screen resolution - Same in both.
  • Landscape mode- Same in both.
  • 3GB Ram (iPhone 8 has 2GB RAM) - Same in 8 Plus.

Power wise the A10 is solid in day to day app performance, Geekbench wise the 8 Plus wins.

I personally prefer the Plus models for watching video over the X because of more height in landscape mode.

Last edited:

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
Wait until the september event when the newest iPhones are revealed (and existing iPhones are reduced in price) and then ask that question. If you can wait that long of course

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
If you plan to keep it long term, get the newest model. The older devices may be supported just as long, but they will not perform as well as the newest one later down the road.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The 7 or 8 would probably be the way to go. If you're on more of a budget, go with the 7. However, if you're able to afford it, go with the 8.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
There’s been concerns about obsolescence in terms of performance throttling. However, Apple has been very good about supporting older devices with the latest software. Amazing, actually.

Reactions: 204353

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Well if you want the most "value" the 8 or 8 Plus. They have the same internals as the X anyways with the exception of panel and camera's. The A11 is the best SoC on the market still so you don't haver to worry about it being slow or anything for a while. The 7 wouldn't be bad as well since the A10 isn't bad either.

I agree totally. iPhone 8 or 8+ should be good for quite awhile.

Julienne

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Texas
I would personally say the 7 Plus is where value is in the iPhone line-up.

You get:
  • More durable aluminium back Vs Glass.
  • Solid camera performance - Portrait mode, mostly stands up to the 8 Plus.
  • 4k 30 fps Video recording Vs 60 fps in the 8 Plus.
  • Good battery life - Similar to 8 Plus.
  • Good screen resolution - Same in both.
  • Landscape mode- Same in both.
  • 3GB Ram (iPhone 8 has 2GB RAM) - Same in 8 Plus.

Power wise the A10 is solid in day to day app performance, Geekbench wise the 8 Plus wins.

I personally prefer the Plus models for watching video over the X because of more height in landscape mode.

I agree with everything you said. Apple probably will support the 7 through iOS 15 lol. There is no such thing as Planned obsolescence as new hardware and software always makes things better, faster, easier. But if you don't want to drop any more money on new iPhones for a few more years the 7 Plus should have good longevity.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I'm very confident any of the iPhones currently sold on Apple.com will be supported for 3+ years.

iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, and iPhone X - will all still be able to upgrade to iOS 15 or iOS 16 in 2021 or 2022.

You can bet your bottom dollar any iPhone or iPad with A9 (not A9X) will be able to run iOS 12 fluidly. iOS 13 will run but may or may not be fluid.

Unlikely these devices will be offered iOS 14, especially SE/6s, and in case they are offered iOS 14, you can bet your bottom dollar it will run like a POS. There is nearly no chance that not only is iOS 15 offered to these devices but also runs as fluidly as iOS 11 runs on these devices.
[doublepost=1529569303][/doublepost]It isn't only about iOS supporting your device, but also running it well.

To give an example, I am mentioning iPhones with the last iOS version they ran pretty well.

iPhone 6 - iOS 9 (maybe iOS 10 tops but unlikely) (excluding iOS 12, which I don't know, but iOS 10/11 was crap).

iPhone 5s - iOS 8

iPhone 5 - iOS 10, yes, it was faster than 5s on iOS 10 from videos at least.

iPhone 4s - iOS 7

iPhone SE/6s and above are fine with iOS 11/12+ for now.

I don't think any current iPhone or iPad will run anything beyond iOS 13/14 decently, at the very max. Sure, they'll be supported but don't expect them to run iOS 15 decently. Maybe not even iOS 14.

iPhone 8 Plus and X will run iOS 13 okay/fine I guess. iPhone 8 may or may not be as good thanks to 2GB RAM.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I agree with everything you said. Apple probably will support the 7 through iOS 15 lol. There is no such thing as Planned obsolescence as new hardware and software always makes things better, faster, easier. But if you don't want to drop any more money on new iPhones for a few more years the 7 Plus should have good longevity.

There is planned obsolescence.... and if you’re playing the long as possible game then the 8 is a better option then the 7. For $100 you’ll get better specs which will last longer.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Just on the topic of ‘Planned obsolescence’, sometimes I think that word is loosely thrown around, but this is a really good article about Greg Joswiak (VP Of marketing) commenting about Apples view On planned obsolescence:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/06/gruber-joswiak-talk-show-live/amp/

Apple of course will never say they will do it because it’s bad for business. Let’s not act like Apple suddenly really cares about their customers. It’s a slippery slope for a consumer to believe any company really cares about their customer be it Apple, Microsoft , google and etc. Apple says they are for privacy and appeals to consumers because it sells.

Let’s just look at Sony and the PS4. When they announced it after the Xbox one they did a whole thing pointing out how simple it was to exchange games with friends at E3. Not because they loved the customers but because it was a shot at Microsoft. Now they are basically saying no to cross platform online play with other consoles with games like fortnite and etc because they are greedy and doesn’t want to allow it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple of course will never say they will do it because it’s bad for business.

Two things:

1.) The article is intended to indicate those who misconstrue what plan obsolescence actually means and actually what it is. I think Apple does a good job explaining their logic behind software updates, longevity and support for their devices. The term obsolescence is easily taken out of context and used inappropriately many times on the Internet. That was one of the reasons I posted this article.

2.)
Let’s not act like Apple suddenly really cares about their customers.

What Does this even mean? Compared to what other manufacture has the standards in terms of security, support and customer service that Apple does. Don’t you think there’s a reason that they have some of the highest rated customer service in the tech industry given their success as a company. Let’s not be overly dismissive, even if you don’t agree.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You can bet your bottom dollar any iPhone or iPad with A9 (not A9X) will be able to run iOS 12 fluidly. iOS 13 will run but may or may not be fluid.

Unlikely these devices will be offered iOS 14, especially SE/6s, and in case they are offered iOS 14, you can bet your bottom dollar it will run like a POS. There is nearly no chance that not only is iOS 15 offered to these devices but also runs as fluidly as iOS 11 runs on these devices.
[doublepost=1529569303][/doublepost]It isn't only about iOS supporting your device, but also running it well.

To give an example, I am mentioning iPhones with the last iOS version they ran pretty well.

iPhone 6 - iOS 9 (maybe iOS 10 tops but unlikely) (excluding iOS 12, which I don't know, but iOS 10/11 was crap).

iPhone 5s - iOS 8

iPhone 4s - iOS 7

I don't think any current iPhone or iPad will run anything beyond iOS 13/14 decently, at the very max. Sure, they'll be supported but don't expect them to run iOS 15 decently. Maybe not even iOS 14.

iPhone 8 Plus and X will run iOS 13 okay/fine I guess. iPhone 8 may or may not be as good thanks to 2GB RAM.

iPhone 5s - iOS 8

iPhone 4s - iOS 7

i would expect the SE/6S to get iOS 14 as it’s last update. Considering that Apple did not drop the 5S this year, I’d expect the 5S to get dropped next year and then the 6 the year after.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks to all of you! Now I'm kinda confused by the conflicting statements regarding the if the SE or 6/6s will last for a few years or not. Should've posted a poll maybe. Any further input appreciated.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Get a 8 either new or used just don’t pay full price, bargains around now, forget the rest. End thread.

techblogger911

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2018
If you get the SE or 6S I think it would be the cheapest option to avoid obsolescence. 5S will for sure get obsolete, I own one and will only upgrade this year if I get to know it will for sure be obsolete. The hardware in the devices released after the 5S are future proof for a couple of years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.