Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The only way to avoid planned obsolescence is to get an iPhone X and install a tvOS beta profile on it force it to not update. iOS 12 is recommended update as it fixes iOS 11 but do install the profile after that. The 6s/SE have already been slowed down so I wouldn't get those at this point. Try and find a refurbished X.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
There is planned obsolescence.... and if you’re playing the long as possible game then the 8 is a better option then the 7. For $100 you’ll get better specs which will last longer.

The 8 series of iPhones are faster and in theory you are correct BUT Apple have reintroduced glass backs which are far weaker than aluminium backs, so what they have given in speed has been lost in overall device durability and durability affects longevity.

For me going back to glass is a major step back, imagine if the next Macbooks and iMacs went back to acrylic/plastic shells!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The 8 series of iPhones are faster and in theory you are correct BUT Apple have reintroduced glass backs which are far weaker than aluminium backs, so what they have given in speed has been lost in overall device durability and durability affects longevity.

For me going back to glass is a major step back, imagine if the next Macbooks and iMacs went back to acrylic/plastic shells!
The glass backs were needed to support wireless charging. Really people need to take care of their devices or at least get insurance/Apple care in case of mishaps.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012

When I had the iPhone 4 and 4s models, I broke several glass backs and saw tons of stories of shattered iPhones. I haven't really noticed a lot of shattered phone talk this time, with the 8, 8+ or X. Basically there is no evidence that the current glass iPhones are meaningfully less durable than the aluminum models.

I think the OP should get an 8 or 8+. These phones will likely be $100 cheaper in September, though.

Reactions: Closingracer

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

In theory? It’s not a theory it’s a fact that it’s faster. I’ve had a glass phone for the last year practically now with the Note 8 and now iPhone X. Unless you have butter fingers the glass back is a moot point. If you do just buy a decent case and problem solved. It’s no way a major step back and glass back brings wireless charging which is awesome now.

Also bendgate

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
In theory? It’s not a theory it’s a fact that it’s faster. I’ve had a glass phone for the last year practically now with the Note 8 and now iPhone X. Unless you have butter fingers the glass back is a moot point. If you do just buy a decent case and problem solved. It’s no way a major step back and glass back brings wireless charging which is awesome now.

Also bendgate

I started my post stating the iPhone 8 is faster, the theory comment was in respect to the device having more longevity as it is the newest. That theory of the device lasting longer is only based on the speed of the device, not the durability of the device. Quite clear. Additionally, bend gate in the iPhone 6 resulted in the 7 using a stronger aluminium. The 8 and 8 plus going to glass has also made them slightly thicker, which I'm not against but again highlights that to go back to glass you can't replace materials like for like - glass has certain thickness limitations and will take another few years of material development to reduce the thickness. No criticism just a reflection of materials having varied properties - such as glass allowing for wireless charging, but resulting in possible issues of device strength.

There's no doubt the glass in the X and 8 is stronger than back in the 4 and 4s days but in terms of durability against things like shatter resistance it simply can't compete with metal.

Getting back on topic to what device to avoid planned obsolescence the newest one is the easy answer, every time and if the glass breaks then you can get it repaired for a fee. However lets look at this reasonably, if you want a device to avoid planned obsolescence then your going to keep it a long time and you want minimal hassle, so for me the iPhone 7/7 Plus appears the most rounded iPhone family when Cost V Speed V Durability V OS Support are all considered.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I started my post stating the iPhone 8 is faster, the theory comment was in respect to the device having more longevity as it is the newest. That theory of the device lasting longer is only based on the speed of the device, not the durability of the device. Quite clear. Additionally, bend gate in the iPhone 6 resulted in the 7 using a stronger aluminium. The 8 and 8 plus going to glass has also made them slightly thicker, which I'm not against but again highlights that to go back to glass you can't replace them like for like - glass has certain thickness limitations and will take another few years of material development to reduce the thickness.

There's no doubt the glass in the X and 8 is stronger than back in the 4 and 4s days but in terms of durability against things like shatter resistance it simply can't compete with metal.

As I stated glass is perfectly fine. Butterfingers = case .

Also a cracked back does not make the phone unusable . Get a case and you’ll never notice. As far as the front goes same issue with older phones.

The iPhone 7 you can still bend. It’s still aluminum and as such has the same issues.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
There’s been concerns about obsolescence in terms of performance throttling. However, Apple has been very good about supporting older devices with the latest software. Amazing, actually.

My iPad Air still gets the latest updates, iOS 12 too. Now that’s pretty good.

No reason to worry about anything current right now.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You can bet your bottom dollar any iPhone or iPad with A9 (not A9X) will be able to run iOS 12 fluidly. iOS 13 will run but may or may not be fluid.

Unlikely these devices will be offered iOS 14, especially SE/6s, and in case they are offered iOS 14, you can bet your bottom dollar it will run like a POS. There is nearly no chance that not only is iOS 15 offered to these devices but also runs as fluidly as iOS 11 runs on these devices.
[doublepost=1529569303][/doublepost]It isn't only about iOS supporting your device, but also running it well.

To give an example, I am mentioning iPhones with the last iOS version they ran pretty well.

iPhone 6 - iOS 9 (maybe iOS 10 tops but unlikely) (excluding iOS 12, which I don't know, but iOS 10/11 was crap).

iPhone 5s - iOS 8

iPhone 5 - iOS 10, yes, it was faster than 5s on iOS 10 from videos at least.

iPhone 4s - iOS 7

iPhone SE/6s and above are fine with iOS 11/12+ for now.

I don't think any current iPhone or iPad will run anything beyond iOS 13/14 decently, at the very max. Sure, they'll be supported but don't expect them to run iOS 15 decently. Maybe not even iOS 14.

iPhone 8 Plus and X will run iOS 13 okay/fine I guess. iPhone 8 may or may not be as good thanks to 2GB RAM.

That's all subjective. Your view of what is "running well" is different than other people's view. I know plenty of people who text, surf the web, make calls, check email, and facebook on the iPhone 5s using iOS11 just fine.

OP said: "I don't need the highest spec phone nor do I need a "life companion" type device... just need a cellphone that will last at least 3+ years."
To me, this sounds like he's not the type to complain about frame rates or slight app launch lags.

As far as I know, Apple has never not supported a newly sold iOS device for at least 4 years with iOS updates.

Reactions: akash.nu

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
As far as I know, Apple has never not supported a newly sold iOS device for at least 4 years with iOS updates.
Original iPhone, original iPad and iPod touch (maybe up to 4th gen?). Granted, nothing in recent years.

I'm not sure how good the deal the OP saw for the iPhone SE was. I got mine for $150 as part of a prepaid kit. That's probably less than the yearly depreciation for iPhone 7(+), 8(+) or X. Assuming the small size if fine for one's needs, I'd be more than happy to get the SE. If it doesn't last 3 years, just buy a new phone then.

Personally, going by A7 performance at this point in time I think the SE will probably be fine 3 years from now. A7 on iOS 11 is nowhere near as bad as A5 was on iOS 8/9.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Just to put some actual data on this, the number of days between release and last OS update for all iPhones that are no longer supported by iOS:
  • iPhone: iPhone OS 1.0 – iPhone OS 3.1.3 (949 days)
  • iPhone 3G: iPhone OS 2.0 – iOS 4.2.1 (864 days)
  • iPhone 3Gs: iPhone OS 3.0 – iOS 6.1.6 (1708 days)*
  • iPhone 4: iOS 4.0 – iOS 7.1.2 (1467 days)
  • iPhone 4s: iOS 5.0 – iOS 9.3.5 (1777 days)
  • iPhone 5: iOS 6.0 – iOS 10.3.3 (1762 days)
  • iPhone 5c: iOS 7.0 – iOS 10.3.3 (1398 days)
* iPhone 3Gs received a special iOS 6.1.6 software update well into the iOS 7.x cycle. Neglecting that, its last update was iOS 6.1.3, making for a duration of 1336 days.

Given that Apple hasn’t released a phone that was supported for less than 3 years in almost a decade, I’d say it’s a pretty safe bet to even buy one generation older if you need/want to.

camresu

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
Southwest, USA
iPhone 7 sounds like a great option for you. The 7 shares the same cellular and connectivity technologies as the 8 and iPhone X - so no worries about compatibility or speed on modern networks, using Apple Pay, current Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The form factor allows for sharing the same accessories (i.e. cases, screen protectors, cables etc.) as the iPhone 8 and the processing power on the 7 can handle all current software and apps (augmented reality, 4K video, gaming) so you won’t run into missing out on any core functionality shared by the 2017-2018 models. Finally and most importantly you’ll have the power to run the upcoming iOS 12 like a champ.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just to put some actual data on this, the number of days between release and last OS update for all iPhones that are no longer supported by iOS:
  • iPhone: iPhone OS 1.0 – iPhone OS 3.1.3 (949 days)
  • iPhone 3G: iPhone OS 2.0 – iOS 4.2.1 (864 days)
  • iPhone 3Gs: iPhone OS 3.0 – iOS 6.1.6 (1708 days)*
  • iPhone 4: iOS 4.0 – iOS 7.1.2 (1467 days)
  • iPhone 4s: iOS 5.0 – iOS 9.3.5 (1777 days)
  • iPhone 5: iOS 6.0 – iOS 10.3.3 (1762 days)
  • iPhone 5c: iOS 7.0 – iOS 10.3.3 (1398 days)
* iPhone 3Gs received a special iOS 6.1.6 software update well into the iOS 7.x cycle. Neglecting that, its last update was iOS 6.1.3, making for a duration of 1336 days.

Given that Apple hasn’t released a phone that was supported for less than 3 years in almost a decade, I’d say it’s a pretty safe bet to even buy one generation older if you need/want to.

Thanks, that's a great chart.

I'm actually more curious about the delta between *last* day sold as new by Apple (not counting refurbs or carrier stores) and last OS update. Release date is a bit irrelevant, imo, when some models have a very long shelf-life.

In other words, even though it's a somewhat old model, Apple is still selling the iPhone 6s as new on Apple.com and in Apple Stores. If I bought it today and they discontinued it tomorrow, how long can I expect it to keep receiving OS updates? I think at least 3 years is a pretty safe bet.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There is no planned obsolescence. That's a joke right? Technology will always move forward. Buy what you want now and enjoy it. Nothing will last forever.

I Made a clarification in a previous post. I truly think some have no idea what obosolence means. They just see others misusing the term on the Internet, therefore they misuse the term when its discussed about Apple products, which translates into spreading nonsense similar to others skewed logic about what it _actually_ means . Greg Joswiak from Apple had a great explanation from a thread I linked above. But as you said, technology is a progression and is dynamic, even if some refuse to understand that.

JohnnyW2K1

Suspended
Jan 27, 2016
London, UK
The SE is still on sale. It's a powerful device with a smaller screen (which means it requires less processing power compared to higher resolution models). Who knows how long Apple will support it for, though.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
to avoid the obscolescence that Apple seems to have planned for a lot of models?.

This is a myth. People unfamiliar with how technology and software development works spread this kind of myth. Just because newer OSs are more taxing on hardware doesn't mean planned obsolesce is a real thing from Apple.

oddiecz

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
The 7 or 8 would probably be the way to go. If you're on more of a budget, go with the 7. However, if you're able to afford it, go with the 8.
I don't know if the 7 might not be in a similar situation compared to the 8 as the 5 was compered to the 5s - the 5 got laggy a lot quicker and the 5s remained solid for YEARS. But seeing as we may get ANOTHER solid CPU bump with the A12, it probably really would be best to wait for September, even if it ends up meaning you get to buy the 8 for 100 dollars less. That's what I'm telling my friends on usable iPhone 6's and the like to do.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Agreed. If you keep your devices until they die like I do, get the best most up-to-date one.
Depends on the cost for me.

Assuming all these devices meet one's requirements, iPhone SE for $150 versus iPhone 8 at $700 or iPhone X at $1000, I'd be fine getting the SE even if it doesn't last me as long as the latest models. What's the likelihood that the 8 or X will last 3-6x as long (~6-12 years?) as the SE to justify pricing disparity?

If one wants the size and features of the 8/8+/X, that's one thing. Go ahead and buy the device you want. If one is opting for newer models just for "future-proofing", sometimes (often) it's not really worth it.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Try to find an 8 for a good price. I have an 8 and an X and they are both great phones! The X is pricey. I would totally pick the 8 it I had to figure the cost as the first issue.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U can avoid obsolescence by ignoring the updates Apple forces on you, but I know this is some sort of heresy for some ppl.

Just recently updated a 5s to ios 11, that's what a 5 years phone? ppl keep smartphones that long?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
U can avoid obsolescence by ignoring the updates Apple forces on you, but I know this is some sort of heresy for some ppl.

Just recently updated a 5s to ios 11, that's what a 5 years phone? ppl keep smartphones that long?
Talk about planned obsolescence when people keep their devices longer and longer...all that effort on a conspiracy that isn't even working apparently.

Reactions: ericwn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

1.) I know it’s commonly referred to as ‘forcing’ On certain threads when it comes updates with Apple, but they don’t ‘force’ anything. When you look at the iOS updates, if they force you as you stated, then why would they provide you an option of downloading the update at all.

2.) What many don’t consider about updates is they provide security patches and repairs that protect your phone from concerns like Spectre or meltdown. If someone chooses to ignore those updates, that’s their choice, but they also are allowing their privacy/data to be more vulnerable to newer malicious activity that could compromise the users security.

I think that’s a great example that Apple hardware is that good and if somebody chooses to keep a phone that works for their situation, five years of updates is significantly longer over the competition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.