Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
1.) I know it’s commonly referred to as ‘forcing’ On certain threads when it comes updates with Apple, but they don’t ‘force’ anything. When you look at the iOS updates, if they force you as you stated, then why would they provide you an option of downloading the update at all.
Not quite force but they sure nag you to death.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Android users would be thrilled to get 3-4 trouble free years from their phone. A lot of iPhone users seem to be entitled and think they need to get 4 or more. Some phones (iPhone 6) are just too underpowered with only 1gb of ram. If you got 3 years from it, that’s not “planned obsolescence”, it’s just a phone that was underpowered.

I think the phones with 3gb of ram will probably be decent to use for up to 4 years.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Apple of course will never say they will do it because it’s bad for business. Let’s not act like Apple suddenly really cares about their customers. It’s a slippery slope for a consumer to believe any company really cares about their customer be it Apple, Microsoft , google and etc. Apple says they are for privacy and appeals to consumers because it sells.

Let’s just look at Sony and the PS4. When they announced it after the Xbox one they did a whole thing pointing out how simple it was to exchange games with friends at E3. Not because they loved the customers but because it was a shot at Microsoft. Now they are basically saying no to cross platform online play with other consoles with games like fortnite and etc because they are greedy and doesn’t want to allow it.

Strongly disagree with the comparison.

There’s plenty evidence on these forums of Apple’s dedication to the customer. Most people who ever had a service or support interaction with Apple will agree I think.
It is a long shot away from a crap-shoot like Sony who managed to lose thousands of sets of data to a hacker with PSN without even a proper apology.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Android users would be thrilled to get 3-4 trouble free years from their phone. A lot of iPhone users seem to be entitled and think they need to get 4 or more. Some phones (iPhone 6) are just too underpowered with only 1gb of ram. If you got 3 years from it, that’s not “planned obsolescence”, it’s just a phone that was underpowered.

I think the phones with 3gb of ram will probably be decent to use for up to 4 years.

Fair point about the iPhone 6. And it was severely lagged with the ram. Even if an iPhone would not be supported up to five years, it wouldn’t sway me away to consider a competitor, mainly because of Apples customer service and security encryption. But I mentioned it before, its not uncommon where Software is a continual advancement, where he Hardware cannot be Upgraded in a smartphone, thus the aging process with older model phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.