Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
13” Air 256gb. I have a PC with all the goodies for CAD work and I do not use Mac or iOS for business so my iPad is for entertainment. Couch surfing, checking e-mails, watching YouTube and such.

I went with 256gb because I am also using it to research and sync maps to my fish finders on my boat and those maps can get pretty detailed plus a little overhead for installing some games should I get into that aspect.

Reactions: Devyn89 and Tybull

semajm85

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
It’s a very expensive device, arguably overpriced but it is the best experience for me right now and has all the upgrades I was looking for over the 2018 11” pro I had. I had the M2 12.9 and sold it after 3 months.

That said , I’d like to share my experience after a few days of use.

Been using the 13” with Magic Keyboard since I got it on Wednesday, forced myself to use it as my only mobile devices other than my phone to see how it fits into my workflow.

Cue Jim Carrey “like a glove”

I upgraded from the 2018 11” pro.

I’ve been using it to work on
- excel budget sheets for the expenses of my new home

- collab on floor plans with the interior designer

- watch YouTube and Netflix

- game stream from my PS5

- play wild rift and Genshin

The device is absolute overkill but I love it. I can use it as tablet when I need to and work on it when I need keyboard

The experience with the screen, the weight and as an overall package has made me feel VERY comfortable and happy with purchase.

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
11” Pro, 256 cellular to replace the same spec 2018 model. I keep most stuff in iCloud and was only using about 150gb on my old iPad. After 5.5 years it’s time to step up to the M4 and the OLED display.

Reactions: Tybull

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
picked 11" m4 ipad pro base spec 256gb//wifi only.

reason:
- my phone already has a lot of data, no need cellular
- 11 inch is lightweight and portable yet powerful at same time, 13" is borderline overkill and expensive for what should be a touch-only device [b4 you ask, yes i dont buy into the keyboard and pencil scheme]... using it just like how I've used iPad 2 and iPad Mini 2 [very old tablets but you get the idea too also have a 16" mbp m3m already]
- Same screen tech now in the lesser/smaller model which fits my needs. before you'd have to go to the 12.9" for the better screen tech which is a STUPID upsell... im happy now its in both equally

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
M4 11 pro wifi. Coming from 12.9 3rd gen.
The 11” looks like a mini to me now.

11” Pretty light and useful if u need to use it on the go.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Rule 1

Never buy an iPad without ProMotion (and even quad speakers are important)

So everything but Pros are out

Rule 2

Always buy cellular

Rule 3

256 GB is enough for me

Got the 13inch M4 Pro Cellular 256 in Silver

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
Rule 1

Never buy an iPad without ProMotion (and even quad speakers are important)

So everything but Pros are out

Rule 2

Always buy cellular

Rule 3

256 GB is enough for me

Got the 13inch M4 Pro Cellular 256 in Silver
I beg to differ on the cellular aspect. In today’s context, wifi is fine with tethering

Reactions: AVBeatMan

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
It isn’t
I use while travelling too, in the car, in the hills, on the beach, everywhere

I prefer not to tether

I have to agree that the tethering is a bit of a pain. I bought my first WiFi only iPad for myself last year when I was trying to condense/downsize everything. Was so glad to go back to cellular, especially with the power outage we just had for 2 days! LTE is handy!

Tybull

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Wales U.K
Upgraded from 12.9 m1 256g S/Grey. Purchased when released in 2021, not probs but was a bit dark.
Only using around 100g. Don’t do games or that just websites, email, you tube,Netflix.
always go for the dark colours. Had it a year then purchased Mk no brainer.
I’ve had the 13 pro 256g cell, Space Black & Black Magic Keyboard.
Seeing some pics on here of the Silver & BMK which look good. Really enjoying it. probably more than i need but I don’t mind. Looking at it the best buy must be the MacBook Air M3.
P.S.
Yes its to expensive yes we should have the same colour as the iPad charging brick & cable & cleaning cloth.

Attachments

• IMG_9312.jpeg
    IMG_9312.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
It isn’t
I use while travelling too, in the car, in the hills, on the beach, everywhere

I prefer not to tether

If you add a travel data plan to your iPad when you travel, it could be handy to have access to the iPad if it’s lost - initiate a remote wipe / lock, track it on find my, etc.

Don’t think of it as a luxury / unneeded cost, think of it as an investment / insurance policy. Hahaha

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
If you add a travel data plan to your iPad when you travel, it could be handy to have access to the iPad if it’s lost - initiate a remote wipe / lock, track it on find my, etc.

Don’t think of it as a luxury / unneeded cost, think of it as an investment / insurance policy. Hahaha
All my iPads have cellular data

5G is practically free PAN India (under 5 bucks a month for like 100 GB 5G data)

Fee is only for international travel

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
M4 13” 1TB standard glass. WiFi.
I waffled quite a bit on this and usually buy refurbished as imo the whole iPad pro line is overpriced with it’s still-gimped OS, meaning I can’t really replace my MBP or come even close.

Having said that, I do love the Magic Keyboard in general although I still wish it allowed for some edge protection. It also serves a real purpose for us, from travel ‘tv’ to letting me communicate with my work team when not in the home office/work laptop.

It’s also replacing a 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9” 512GB, which is IIRC a 2018 model I picked up in 2019, pre-M1, so it’s sent a good amount of use. I don’t use the 512GB on the current one (new one arrives Wed), but went ahead and bumped storage to 1TB for the extra core and RAM, as my current one generally performs well but gets overtaxed with my abuse of grouped safari tabs and some apps, and I expect to keep the new one at least 4 years or more.

Fingers crossed - will see how it goes and hoping we see a less gimped OS in the future.

Reactions: julit0

dg2445

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2016
Des Moines, IA
I just ordered a 1 TB Silver 13" iPad Pro. Why? Because I keep my devices forever and want to maximize its lifespan. I'm replacing a 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro that still works but the screen is getting wonky, the battery doesn't last, and it's occasionally unresponsive when I try to wake it up.

Reactions: wegster

viking_01

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
After about 8 years without an iPad I bought an M4 11" iPad Pro 256GB Wi-Fi in Space Black.
I'm keen to get back in to the iPad experience and hope to use it for reading, notes using the Apple Pencil Pro, general web surfing and Netflix etc. It will only leave the house about once a week, so mostly sofa or bed use. I'm not keen on getting a Magic Keyboard because it adds weight and I don't need to write a lot on it - for that I have a now aging but fine 2018 Intel MPB. I'm also happy to tether to my phone (14PM), hence the WiFi-only.

I was very very torn between the 13" and 11" but starting to come around and happier with the 11" now. For my use case the 11" does it all in a small, slightly lighter package. The OLED screen is amazing but I'm comparing to my 2018 MPB and smaller iPhone screen, so that's expected. The 13" advantage for me would mainly be when watching videos as I don't intend to multi-task - again for that I'd use the MBP. All in all I'm hoping the 11" keeps me focussed and engaged on a single productive task and more likely to use the pencil - I've always preferred smaller paper pads when taking notes too.

Jay3197

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Air M1 for the cool price of $399. I have a 15 pro max and stream any and everything anyways. The 11 pro is very nice, very thin and an extremely sexy screen, nice speakers too BUT for the price difference, M1 air is hands down supreme in my case. Also snagged the Gen 2 pencil for $80 same price as the usb C model

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Just placed the order for the M4 11" black iPad Pro with cellular. Also ordered the pencil pro and Magic Keyboard. I felt it was simply time for an upgrade (after 5.5 years with my 2018 iPad Pro), and this should easily future-proof my iPad experience for the next couple of years.

Would have ordered earlier, but I was down with Covid last week, and buying new gadgets was honestly the last thing on my mind. 😛

Reactions: iGeneo

Wind30

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2024
Bought 11” iPad Pro 1tb wireless nano glass. I have the 12.9 m1 cellular so the 11” nano glass offer the most difference. Oled screen to me is not much difference to miniled after comparing in store.

Wind30

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2024
I beg to differ on the cellular aspect. In today’s context, wifi is fine with tethering
I had cellular iPad for like forever. This time I got the wireless 11 nano glass because no stick for the cellular. Hopefully you are right. I tried using my 12.9 cellular for the last few days turning off the mobile data. The wireless tether is not automatic sometimes even though I turned on the automatic setting

Reactions: ipos

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
I got the 13” IPP 256GB black WiFi with the BMK. Crazy but like I did in 2018 will probably get the 11” IPP cellular, silver for travelling. Trading in one of the 2018 IPP and selling other. Also selling the Mini 6 as realise how much ProMotion adds to the experience and just prefer the aspect ratio on the 11” for travelling.

Reactions: viking_01

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
13" 256gb, MK + Pen.

I have a 2020 IPP 12.9" - so I knew what size I wanted. I had a wish list over the 12.9" I wanted, extended screen support, landscape camera and desktop class browser. The m1/2's only had 1 of the 3 requirements where as the m4 has 2 of them.

BUT.. the M4 has impressed me beyond what I had wanted, the OLED screen is perfection for me - I literally cannot see how it gets better. Scanning documents (that I do a fair bit) is fantastic and totally unexpected. Loving the function row on the keyboard and the pen's haptic feedback, hover and rotate are a step forward.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I’m an artist and chose the 11” iPad Pro back in 2018. To me it is more of a true tablet than the 13”. Even tho my 2018 iPad Pro is still going strong, I may upgrade to the M4 for the OLED screen & apple pencil pro. 90% sure I’ll get the 11” again. But going to check them out in the store to be sure. I also plan to upgrade my iPad mini 5 when the 7 comes out in September. I use that as a digital sketchbook when I really want to travel light. I don’t own a laptop anymore as the iPad has replaced it as my main content creation tool & media consumption device. 👍🏼

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
Coming from iPad 6 decided to buy the air 13”

would not use the pro to the full capacity- i surf the web read emails watch you tube.
plus the cost difference geezus

but now I’m wondering if I really needed to spend 890.00. love the size of the 13 and now afraid the 11 will look like a mini lol

have 2 weeks will see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.