Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
My David Lachapelle book has been catching my eye more frequently for inspiration than it has in the past.

malba_1.jpg

Pac a Mac

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
England
Julia Margaret Cameron

EL2003_62.JPG

My favourite is sadness. The subject; Ellen Terry was a 16 year old actress married to a man much older than herself. The sadness is penetrating.

ostracised by her contemporaries for lack of technical correctness even back in the 1860s....but she was determined to make a poet out of the dumb machine...boy did she succeed.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Julia Margaret Cameron

<pic>

My favourite is sadness. The subject; Ellen Terry was a 16 year old actress married to a man much older than herself. The sadness is penetrating.

ostracised by her contemporaries for lack of technical correctness even back in the 1860s....but she was determined to make a poet out of the dumb machine...boy did she succeed.

Amazing, isn't it? Everyone I tell that picture was taken in 1864 cannot believe it. It dumfounds me to think of the reaction of the people of the time towards that picture, specially since you compare it to her contemporaries like Nadar who were pretty much emulating painted portraits.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
Considering I'm young(not really into most of the older guys mentioned here) and do mostly sports:

Brad Mangin-Great Baseball Photographer who covers Barry Bonds, Freelances for SI.
http://www.bradmangin.com/

Donald Miralle-Getty Images staffer, featured in SI all the time, I've seen many of his images in the "Leading Off" Section which is the part with full page and double trucks. Simply the best swimming photographer I have ever seen, very creative without being too artsy for editorial. His website doesn;t seem to be up now, here is his sportsshooter page:
http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=341
And One I love: http://www.sportsshooter.com/miralle/2005/pages/3.html

So Many mroe but I can't think now.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Robert Capa (Magnum)
Sebastian Salgado
David Douglas Duncan
All the Farm Security Adm photographers (Lange etc.)
James Natchway (Blackstar, Magnum, Time etc.)
Henri Cartier-Bresson (Magnum)
Larry Burrows (Nam)
Eugene Richards (Magnum) (Knife and Gun Club is amazing)

Some of the photos that have changed the world.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Creepy? like this one?;)

twins.jpg
Yes the twins are a tad creepy, but nowhere as creepy as the series she took in the mental institution.
My favourite shows 5 females standing in a row, each wearing identical (hospital) nightdresses. All have a paper bag with eye holes torn out over their heads. :eek:

I had a quick search on Google but couldn't find this particular one, but here's another from this series. It's a bit creepy too !! :eek:

FJ

Attachments

• ph8.jpg
    ph8.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 415

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
But..., if you are in a photo class and you can't come up with some of your own I worry for you.

I never said I didn't have any favorites. Just 50 is a big list, and it's always nice to find some I haven't heard of.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
As cliché as people will think this is, I've got to pick Ansel Adams.

I'm having trouble finding an on-line version of my favorite photo of his, though.
I'm in the same boat! I have the Think different picture framed of Ansel Adams (as well as MLK Jr. and Jackie Robinson, but I want to get more!)

Also, I always love looking at the fantastic shots of freebooter from this forum.

leumluath

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
Favorite Photographers

I'd include the previously mentioned Ansel Adams, Robert Capa, David Douglas Duncan, and Jerry Uelsmann.

Add Yousuf Karsh and Duane Michaels.

And Peter Turnley.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.