Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
Good chance WWDC24 will be all about AI. (And popcorn ready for when they showcase heavy AI integration in junk-folder apps like Tips and Clock.)

Finder on iPad? Maybe they'll surprise us but highly unlikely. A better Files would be welcome.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I am expecting macOS or macOS like features (like finder instead of files, wider file extension support, and better mouse and keyboard controls) coming to M1-M4 iPads this WWDC. I was also expecting the ability to run mac apps but fcp and logic pro 2 for ipad proved me that they wont bring this and just naturally let sideloading in iPad due to regulations.

I won't buy an iPad until WWDC because I don't know whether Apple will meet my expectations. I might get it a week before and return it if they just put a calculator. I wish they'd put macOS support for M2-M4 iPads (I doubt they would put macOS to M1 because of the sole existence of 64GB iPad Air M1)
You don't want macOS support. You want iPadOS to better differentiate itself from iOS and to offer capabilities worthy of it actually being an alternative to macOS. macOS on iPad would be kludgy and terrible. Microsoft engineered Windows 8, 8.1, 10, and 11 to all be touch-capable. Apple has done nothing of the sort with macOS outside of iOS and iPadOS. They're not about to start doing it and you wouldn't want them to do it even if they did.

A Finder-like Files app would be amazing. Terminal, multi-user accounts, sure. Do away with home screens outside of an app drawer (a la Android) or a Start Menu (a la Windows) or a Launchpad (a la macOS); they make no sense on anything that isn't the iPad mini at this point. Make it a touch-first OS. But that doesn't need to be a straight port of macOS to the iPad. That would be terrible and that's why it hasn't (and likely never will) happen.

But barring all of that for a second, what is it that you want an iPad to be able to do? If it's running macOS, then just get a Mac. If it's to be a decent companion device to either your Mac or your iPhone, the iPad isn't horrible for that now. What it's horrible at is replacing your Mac or PC.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
You'll be keeping your 2018. I don't understand how some of you don't get it. Apple isn't going to split the iPad models up into ones that can run certain software and ones that can't. It would be too resource intensive to try and keep up with all of it. They want them all to run the same thing, which is iPadOS. Its NEVER going to run MacOS.
I know I will end up keeping my 2018 iPP. That's fine. Allows me to keep my money for more exciting tech later in the year. Apple already does segment some features across iPads by the way, so not sure what your point is there. I also never said i wanted Mac OS on iPad. That’s clearly unrealistic. Finally, calm down. It’s hilarious how some people react to other people’s views on here.

Last edited:

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Even if they do announce some breakthrough new features we’re still going to have to wait until Sep or Oct for a stable release unless you plan on fiddling with beta software. Just buy it if you want it and enjoy it.

Reactions: gusping

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
AI stuff is fine, but it won't change solve the issues that I and many other iPad users want fixed with iPad OS. But i think you are right, it will be the big focus. Any new M4 exclusive features will resolve around AI and not fixing the fundamental weaknesses of iPad OS. We can still dream....
Yup, I’d still say it isn’t of the table that iPad OS improves iteratively as it has in previous years..but yeah in order to become really a full Mac alternative in more situations they need to change some deep underlaying issues. A lot has to do with the files app, the lack of a “desktop” and the way how drag and drop/copy paste works in my opinion (which I think is touch related) There have been countless times when I tried to do office work on my iPad and I went nearly insane because of simple stuff that just works on a Mac but can drive you nuts on iPad OS like working with images in tables in pages or numbers or google docs for example.. i wouldn’t even dream of using something like Final Cut on the iPad.. I hear even small things like stabilizing footage doesn’t work there, not even talking about red raw footage or so…

Reactions: Poison Astro

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Smart move to wait, but I think we won’t see much more than a small update on iPadOS….hope to be wrong.

But there is a reason if they announce the iPad before the Os so waiting is smart.

Reactions: ZombiePete

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Yup, I’d still say it isn’t of the table that iPad OS improves iteratively as it has in previous years..but yeah in order to become really a full Mac alternative in more situations they need to change some deep underlaying issues. A lot has to do with the files app, the lack of a “desktop” and the way how drag and drop/copy paste works in my opinion (which I think is touch related) There have been countless times when I tried to do office work on my iPad and I went nearly insane because of simple stuff that just works on a Mac but can drive you nuts on iPad OS like working with images in tables in pages or numbers or google docs for example.. i wouldn’t even dream of using something like Final Cut on the iPad.. I hear even small things like stabilizing footage doesn’t work there, not even talking about red raw footage or so…
Couldn't agree more. Especially on your example about using Pages. Even using Apple's own apps can feel painful vs a Mac. Just doing simple things takes so much longer.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am expecting macOS or macOS like features (like finder instead of files, wider file extension support, and better mouse and keyboard controls) coming to M1-M4 iPads this WWDC. I was also expecting the ability to run mac apps but fcp and logic pro 2 for ipad proved me that they wont bring this and just naturally let sideloading in iPad due to regulations.
How would you run a Mac app inside of iPadOS when the Menubar does not exist as part of those apps? Every app you want to run would need to be rewritten to add the menubar.

Last edited:
Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
I'm thinking a lot of people who claim they want MacOS on an iPad don't actually want MacOS. They want an interface that allows a person to easily modify and place files in whatever location they want, and to have multiple, overlapping windows on the screen.

I do not know how to do this with a touch interface, unless there can be a "hidden" menu bar location somewhere to allow window management to easily exist.

Reactions: Pezimak and gusping

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Couldn't agree more. Especially on your example about using Pages. Even using Apple's own apps can feel painful vs a Mac. Just doing simple things takes so much longer.
yes! This is what drives me nuts about ipadOS. I'm not asking for after effects on ipad, but stuff like this, yeeeez.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I'm thinking a lot of people who claim they want MacOS on an iPad don't actually want MacOS. They want an interface that allows a person to easily modify and place files in whatever location they want, and to have multiple, overlapping windows on the screen.

I do not know how to do this with a touch interface, unless there can be a "hidden" menu bar location somewhere to allow window management to easily exist.
I think stage manager does that sort of, but given the awful drag and drop capabilities/interoperability ruin it.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I know I will end up keeping my 2018 iPP. That's fine. Allows me to keep my money for more exciting tech later in the year. Apple already does segment some features across iPads by the way, so not sure what your point is there. I also never said i wanted Mac OS on iPad. That’s clearly unrealistic. Finally, calm down. It’s hilarious how some people react to other people’s views on here.
Lol calm down 😂.

There is one feature that is different on any of the iPads right now. Hover. That’s it. There’s nothing any different on any of them outside of the hardware differences and refresh rate. Tell me what groundbreaking feature you would like to see on one of the iPads that would make you want to buy it come WWDC. There just isn’t much they can do because they want to keep it uniform across all devices.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
As the name suggests it’s macOS. iPad won’t get macOS and that is a good thing. That would be a disaster, another “Pixel Slate”. M4 is powerful but it is still base M chip, designed to run controlled environment like iPadOS. But I agree they should bring more macOS like features to iPadOS. Hardware wise (form factor) iPad is somewhere between iPhone and Mac. Software wise iPadOS is much more closer to iOS than macOS. So again they just need to bring iPadOS more to the middle.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Lol calm down 😂.

There is one feature that is different on any of the iPads right now. Hover. That’s it. There’s nothing any different on any of them outside of the hardware differences and refresh rate. Tell me what groundbreaking feature you would like to see on one of the iPads that would make you want to buy it come WWDC. There just isn’t much they can do because they want to keep it uniform across all devices.
Stage Manager? That’s a pretty significant feature that only some iPads have. My iPad Mini can’t use stage manager for example.

Reactions: gusping and Pezimak

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
if you are waiting for Mac OS on iPad, that may never happen. It will build character though, waiting for something very unlikely but staying positive.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Lol calm down 😂.

Apple has segmented software capabilities by hardware versions several times; there has been plenty of complaining about it here.

I don’t expect any real iPadOS surprises in June though; if something truly earth shattering was coming to iPad in the new OS they would have saved the hardware reveal for WWDC (yes, it’s a software event but they have done hardware reveals there before). The big focus will be on AI features across mobile platforms; there may be tweaks to iPadOS exclusive features but how we use our iPads will not fundamentally change.

OP is smart to wait and see, imo. If nothing is released they find enticing then they made a good decision; if iPadOS does reveal a feature they really want it’s not like iPads will be in short supply. Personally, I buy hardware based on what it can do today, not in the hope that it will be able to meet my needs someday. I am very happy with using my iPad as a laptop replacement for my needs; looking forward to Wednesday!

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

All they need to do is create Finder for iPad OS and proper window management when the iPad is connected to a keyboard or external display.

m1mini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
MacOS isn’t happening. Neither is running Mac apps natively (they may depend on features that aren’t in ipadOS). Hopefully we get more “pro” apps, though. It would be nice if they can get the M1 into the base iPad in a year or two.
M1 single core performance and is not enough tbh, i think they will either

-release an a15 (or a16) ipad air w laminated display and call it iPad 11 for 449
-bump iPad 11 to m2 but keep eveything dumbed down. (499)

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I don't care about WWDC - more looking for reviews to compare the OLED vs Mini LED, impact on thinner weight on real world travel usage, maybe an details in terms of how the M4 results in a snappier (or not) experience.

I think those expecting dramatically more MacOS like features at WWDC will be disappointing. What you may get instead are M-Series only AI features that work especially well on an iPad M4.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
You don't want macOS support. You want iPadOS to better differentiate itself from iOS and to offer capabilities worthy of it actually being an alternative to macOS. macOS on iPad would be kludgy and terrible. Microsoft engineered Windows 8, 8.1, 10, and 11 to all be touch-capable. Apple has done nothing of the sort with macOS outside of iOS and iPadOS. They're not about to start doing it and you wouldn't want them to do it even if they did.

A Finder-like Files app would be amazing. Terminal, multi-user accounts, sure. Do away with home screens outside of an app drawer (a la Android) or a Start Menu (a la Windows) or a Launchpad (a la macOS); they make no sense on anything that isn't the iPad mini at this point. Make it a touch-first OS. But that doesn't need to be a straight port of macOS to the iPad. That would be terrible and that's why it hasn't (and likely never will) happen.

But barring all of that for a second, what is it that you want an iPad to be able to do? If it's running macOS, then just get a Mac. If it's to be a decent companion device to either your Mac or your iPhone, the iPad isn't horrible for that now. What it's horrible at is replacing your Mac or PC.
Personally - I do want macOS support. But the solution is simple - allow macOS only when docked (anytime you have a mouse/trackpad and keyboard attached.) Of course there are hidden complexities to that (IE do things keep running when you detach, or does the macOS system sleep, how do you swap between OS modes, etc.)

I don't want touch based macOS - I just want a single portable device that solves all the things I do while mobile (So iPadOS for mail/email/photos/graphic design, macOS for software development), so I can then just have a single powerful mac desktop at home. I hate having two "ultra portable" devices (MBA and iPad Pro) - that defeats the purpose of being ultra portable if it is 2x the size and weight. I can carry just the mac and basically always do - but I'd much rather carry the iPad and leave the mac at home for my desk.

Your second paragraph has been my dream for the iPad since I bought the original in 2010 (To be a true successor to macOS, but built to be much more flexible), and if it happens that will be great. But Apple seems incapable of building that dream even with their unlimited resources. Now we have incredible power compared to back then...but we still have a files app that will randomly get stuck "loading"...something, when you tap to upload a file in Safari. You can't store all your mail locally on device, so mail search sucks. These things are crazy to me on what can now be a $3000 "pro" machine. It feels like every year we slowly inch towards a more capable iPadOS, but the pacing is way too slow - we need our iPadOS X moment.

• Love
Reactions: jazz1 and gusping

m1mini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020

With mouse and keyboard (or the magic keyboard case) macOS could very well work in iPad. Just treat the thing as a screen. Put all touch controls aside, macOS looks beautiful on an ipad, you can see that yourself by just firing up Sidecar

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
There is no risk in buying now as you can always return it! I do not take a lot of stock in what others say as they have their motives, too!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Personally - I do want macOS support.

No you don't!

I just want a single portable device that solves all the things I do while mobile (So iPadOS for mail/email/photos/graphic design, macOS for software development), so I can then just have a single powerful mac desktop at home.

THIS is what you want! And honestly, you are overcomplcating things a ton. A MacBook Air does EVERYTHING you currently want your iPad to do and way better than it ever would've done them.

Your second paragraph has been my dream for the iPad since I bought the original in 2010 (To be a true successor to macOS, but built to be much more flexible), and if it happens that will be great. But Apple seems incapable of building that dream even with their unlimited resources. Now we have incredible power compared to back then...but we still have a files app that will randomly get stuck "loading"...something, when you tap to upload a file in Safari. You can't store all your mail locally on device, so mail search sucks. These things are crazy to me on what can now be a $3000 "pro" machine. It feels like every year we slowly inch towards a more capable iPadOS, but the pacing is way too slow - we need our iPadOS X moment.

We definitely do need a more powerful OS on these new iPads. But that OS isn't macOS.

Apple needs to figure out what the iPad is for and then optimize the OS and software experience accordingly. iPadOS is perfectly fine as a media consumption and light productivity OS. It's abysmal for anything more powerful than that (outside of any one given App's own capabilities).

With mouse and keyboard (or the magic keyboard case) macOS could very well work in iPad. Just treat the thing as a screen. Put all touch controls aside, macOS looks beautiful on an ipad, you can see that yourself by just firing up Sidecar
macOS looking beautiful on an iPad's display only means that the iPad has beautiful displays. It's not optimized for touch. And all you're really trying to do by having macOS on an iPad is to basically make an Apple version of the Surface Pro. I'm not saying that I'd be against a Mac version of the Surface Pro, but macOS is as ill-suited for iPads as iPadOS is too limited for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.