Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014

Anyone want to give this a whirl and post the score?

I'm very curious since the base M1 scores about the same as a fully-upgraded classic Mac Pro with dual 6-core Xeons. My own Mac Pro isn't even that highly spec'd and I have never pushed its limit. Crazy that my little entry level laptop I'm typing on would decimate my trusty old tower.

ori69

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2022
MaxTech made a comparison of M1 vs M2

LogicBenchM1vsM2.png

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
I get about 80 tracks on an M1. The M1 is well past the point of having to worry about performance as far as I'm concerned.

I tested how many simple software instrument tracks I could run, with a sample instrument and a few other plugins each. The M1 handled 800 tracks...

Reactions: eicca

ori69

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2022
I found a comment on the Logic Benchmark website about MB Air M2:

Logic bench MB AIR M2.png

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I’ve seen in multiple places that the M2 consistently scores about 20-25 tracks less than the M1. How is that possible?

That’s even true in the Mini, which isn’t thermally constrained like the Airs.

The heck?

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Interesting. I’m not a Logic user so I can’t speak from personal experience, but it looks like a lot more comes into play than CPU alone.

From what I can tell, CPU, RAM, and disk speed can each be a bottleneck leading to System Overload. If that’s true and without knowing the specs of the machines posted, I’d wager the M2 scores lower for a similarly same spec-ed M1 because it uses less NAND for its storage, reducing its throughput and effectively starving Logic for data.

However, I bet if you compared a max spec-ed M1 vs a max spec-ed M2 (which will have identical SSD throughput since the NAND differences only impact the smaller drives), then the M2 would perform faster.

Reactions: harold.ji

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Oh yeah forgot about those smaller drives.

Anyone got a 512GB or larger M2 Air/Mini that would be willing to run this benchmark?

ori69

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2022
Oh yeah forgot about those smaller drives.

Anyone got a 512GB or larger M2 Air/Mini that would be willing to run this benchmark?
RAM size and SSD speed don't matter. All that matters in this test is CPU power.
I personally did these tests on a Mac Mini with M2 SSD 256GB, 8GB RAM and SSD 1TB 16GB RAM. And there was no difference in the results.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
RAM size and SSD speed don't matter. All that matters in this test is CPU power.
I personally did these tests on a Mac Mini with M2 SSD 256GB, 8GB RAM and SSD 1TB 16GB RAM. And there was no difference in the results.
Very strange. There’s no logical (pun intended) reason for the M2 to score 25% lower in that test when it’s more powerful in every conceivable way than M1.

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I’m pretty sure the reason is the M1 cores are more stable. Which is significant when it comes to music production, where signal chains mostly get executed on single cores.

M2 has faster single-core performance but is more prone to system overloads because of worse stability. These overloads cause audible pops/clicks and can halt the DAW.
I guess this is mostly a minor trade off. Tracks would bounce faster on the M2

daavee80

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2019
I’m pretty sure the reason is the M1 cores are more stable. Which is significant when it comes to music production, where signal chains mostly get executed on single cores.

M2 has faster single-core performance but is more prone to system overloads because of worse stability. These overloads cause audible pops/clicks and can halt the DAW.
I guess this is mostly a minor trade off. Tracks would bounce faster on the M2
I’m really puzzled/intrigued to know what you mean by “stability” and “system overloads” in this context? If you mean clock rate fluctuation the fan cooled Apple Silicon systems don’t reduce clock rate when saturated.

ori69

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2022
I’m really puzzled/intrigued to know what you mean by “stability” and “system overloads” in this context? If you mean clock rate fluctuation the fan cooled Apple Silicon systems don’t reduce clock rate when saturated.

You're wrong. M2 processors, are the same technology as M1, just slightly overclocked. That's why they heat up faster and get into throttling faster and lower the clock rate faster.
Logic Benchmark test, just like Cinebench loads the cores to the limit. On my computer I tested for half an hour and the whole time the occupation was almost at 100%.

LogicBenchmark_i9_13900KF500.png

daavee80

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2019
You're wrong. M2 processors, are the same technology as M1, just slightly overclocked. That's why they heat up faster and get into throttling faster and lower the clock rate faster.
Logic Benchmark test, just like Cinebench loads the cores to the limit. On my computer I tested for half an hour and the whole time the occupation was almost at 100%.

View attachment 2227814
But like I said the fan cooled Apple Silicon Macs don’t throttle…

Edit: Ok it looks like certain M2 laptops can throttle under load. Still doesn’t explain the Mac Studio results posted above.

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
imagine two runners racing, one faster than the other. The faster one is more prone to falling(system overload) but still wins the race(render/bounce). Falling doesn't matter for rendering stuff, but it does for stability of live data streams like tracks in a daw.

In my case where I like being able to monitor at low audio buffers with many effects on a single channel, the M1 Pro is better.

streetfunk

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
In my case
Thats the point here. The sole one i´d claim
the M1 Pro is better.
Have you had a M1 beside a M2 ? ( i did. M1 vs. M2pro / same specs otherwise )
If thats true what you are saying, M1 *beside* M2. Then there´s something wrong with your M2.
But if you do just theorize.......?

not shure if the M1pro has double the databus speed vs. a M2.
M2 vs. M2pro, the pro has........(see my story below)
and not sure what macs you compare
The faster one is more prone to falling
Wrong generalisation.
One that runs on the verge of its capacity "might" be more prone for failure.
Do you have evidence that the M2 is running on the verge of the capabilitys of its tech ?
I have a M2pro, and i think its not.

small example vs. "you" having a problem:
i´ve had an M1. At some point in time my Audio system had developed a problem.
I had to switch to another M1, cause i needed a bigger SSD.
I migrated the system.
My problem was no longer present.

my main Audio app runs explicitly on just one core.
But i totally regularly eat that one core. Peanuts with what i´m doing.
I Patch "quite advanced" realtime play patches / realtime-play sounddesign.
Its equivalent to one track in a DAW, musicality wise.
Just alone the higher Databus speed of the M2pro vs. a M1 or M2 (nonpro) makes a big difference vs. how good the system is running.

The Logic test, here in question, is btw. rubbish in my opinion.
Applesilicon macs run best at a buffer setting of 64samples at not too high load, and 128 samples even at higher load.
Also, is the load to the system plugin dependend.
i for example could run a M1 into its knees just alone by the databus speed load.
This, with abvove mentioned patching, which reflects just "one instrument/one track" (running on just one core).......that happened, bevore my CPU ( just one core) was anything close to its limit.

- - - - Databus speed Ladys and Gentleman - - - - -

This logic test should definitly be at a buffer setting of 128 samples.
just my opinion ofcourse. As someone who is not exactly into working with DAWs. and when i do do i have 1-2-3-4 tracks with plugins. In cubase, i was then the other day at above 50% CPU load ( M2pro, 12core).

No generlisations possible !
So much things are totally usecase dependend

jabbr

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
The Logic test, here in question, is btw. rubbish in my opinion.
Applesilicon macs run best at a buffer setting of 64samples at not too high load, and 128 samples even at higher load.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Do we know what buffer maxTech used? I would assume whatever the default option is (256 samples I believe).

If anything testing the machines at a lower buffer would only support my point. It takes stable cores to run at low buffers. Since the M2 Pro overloads at a lower track count then we know it's not as stable as the M1 Pro when pushed. This makes sense because the M2 cores are just overclocked M1 cores. Higher throughput at the cost of reduced stability. Gamers overclocking GPUs to the point of crashing their games are very aware of this tradeoff.

I'd rather have the core stability during production over whatever minuscule time I'd save bouncing a track out.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Well I did confirm that my dual-X5677 5,1 will handle around 70 tracks. So the base M2 does beat my current setup and would be sufficient for my needs.

ori69

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2022
Logic Benchmark iMac M3, Macbook Pro 16" M3 Pro 12 core and Macbook Pro 14" M3 Pro 10 core

3LogicBench_iMacM3.png

LogicMacBook Pro 14 M3Pro 10c.png

LogicMacBook Pro 16 M3Pro 12c.png

LogicBenchM3andM2Pro.png

Reactions: streetfunk

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Why TF is the base chip doing LESS tracks with every release…

Reactions: ggCloud

ggCloud

Suspended
Oct 29, 2023
Why TF is the base chip doing LESS tracks with every release…
I know that's so weird. The base M3 got upgraded in every possible way. Unlike the M3 Pro the cores stayed the same.

If you see Lukes real world tests M3 is much faster than M2.

So what is up with Logic?

ggCloud

Suspended
Oct 29, 2023
Looking at video above, I don't think Apple is making Logic a priority.

M3 is better in every test than M2 but Logic. WTF?

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Looking at video above, I don't think Apple is making Logic a priority.

M3 is better in every test than M2 but Logic. WTF?

Figures that Apple would prioritize developing everything except for ALL THE THINGS I actually use them for.

Reactions: g75d3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.