Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Tim Cook gave the people what they wanted, and from that there were $$$. Not the other way around. Companies who put $$$ before customers fail.
He did it because he does not care about the tech or the products. So he just gave people what they wanted, as it did not make any difference to him.

Steve Jobs was very picky about the products. He would give people what he wanted because he cared so much about the products.

• Haha
Reactions: usagora

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
He did it because he does not care about the tech or the products. So he just gave people what they wanted, as it did not make any difference to him.

Steve Jobs was very picky about the products. He would give people what he wanted because he cared so much about the products.
Imo, Steve gave the people what he thought they wanted, while Tim gave the people what they really wanted.

To say “it didn’t make any difference to him” is not true.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Who is your top pick for the next CEO?

Tim Cook has stated he doesn’t plan to be CEO in 10-years time, so we know within the next decade we will see a new CEO.

MY PICK: John Ternus

First and foremost, he is young. He could be CEO of Apple for possibly two decades. Many of the other obvious contenders are not much younger than Cook, so to me it wouldn’t make much sense. Ternus is also a product guy - much like Steve Jobs. He cares about design, he knows the hardware, and being a senior VP he obviously knows how to lead giant teams. He’s also the SVP that’s been in charge of many new favorites - like the new MacBooks! The Cook era was great for growth and for business. Obviously Apple is more successful now than it ever was with Jobs, but many feel Apple has lost its touch with products, design, and many things Jobs pioneered. That’s why I think Ternus could be a great CEO, as he would be more in-tune with those aspects. While some may worry he doesn’t have much operational experience like Cook does, he will have a team of SVPs who can help. The CEO doesn’t need to be an expert at all things. I just think after a decade of Cook, it would be cool to see a “product guy” back in the head seat.

Reactions: Flash1420

cooliosfoolios

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2022

Tim Cook has stated he doesn’t plan to be CEO in 10-years time, so we know within the next decade we will see a new CEO.

First and foremost, he is young. He could be CEO of Apple for possibly two decades. Many of the other obvious contenders are not much younger than Cook, so to me it wouldn’t make much sense. Ternus is also a product guy - much like Steve Jobs. He cares about design, he knows the hardware, and being a senior VP he obviously knows how to lead giant teams. He’s also the SVP that’s been in charge of many new favorites - like the new MacBooks! The Cook era was great for growth and for business. Obviously Apple is more successful now than it ever was with Jobs, but many feel Apple has lost its touch with products, design, and many things Jobs pioneered. That’s why I think Ternus could be a great CEO, as he would be more in-tune with those aspects. While some may worry he doesn’t have much operational experience like Cook does, he will have a team of SVPs who can help. The CEO doesn’t need to be an expert at all things. I just think after a decade of Cook, it would be cool to see a “product guy” back in the head seat.
You should be the next CEO

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
I am hoping for a CEO who has interest in product design and hardware, not just purely focused on operations. I low key kinda miss Jony Ive. I mean sure not all of his designs were great, but there was just something about his way of thinking and designing.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
My bet is on one of these four and it will be before 2030:

-Deidre O'Brien, has been there for like 30 years and has had positions all over the place at the company. She also cynically checks off diversity boxes for more reasons than one. The bad part, she's closer to retirement age herself as well.

-Jeff Williams, is second in command as of now but not much younger than Cook.

-John Ternus but meh eh I dunno. I can only ever remember him announcing an overpriced stand although he is younger.

-Craig Federighi: The only person in management to have worked with Jobs at Next and the most charismatic of the bunch but he seems to dismiss the idea a lot. Also seems to be a favorite of fans.

Bonus: Someone completely unknown that checks off a bunch of boxes, seeing how the presentations are now presented mostly by people you only seem to see once or twice ever and are in marketing and PR.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
It'll likely be another spreadsheet person, let's be honest. They've never had a software person before, and I think having a design/software/product person would be very beneficial for Apple. Tim was good for playing it safe (making small iterations to essentially the same products, giving the people just enough) ultimately gaining the money needed to make great things, but simultaneously killing the brand image and spirit Apple once had to the point where charging more than the competition they've been mentioning more and more recently is not justifiable. Let's see what a real visionary does about making great things. Apple is in a serious need of differentiating itself again through design and software. This is one reason I'd love to see how Craig does as a CEO, but I think they need a real creative. The fact that Jony left because he felt bored says enough.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Could be anyone of these, except the 1st guy if he resigns 😉
I think it lies in time for a woman - Katherine Adams or Lisa Jackson maybe.

1714992079158.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Chucks4me

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

And that's the problem with Cook at the moment, he is giving people what they want. Jobs, despite all his faults, was good at finding out what people wanted, without them knowing it; ie. future product categories.

Cook has done a tremendous job making Apple big, and has done marvelous things for the company, but at the moment it is very stale. The AVP or car were to be his savior products, but they are turning out not to, and other than that, Apple is just iterating on their old products, or releasing similar products to their competitors, while milking their costumers. I think Cook will put his next big gamble on AI, but it remains to be seen if they can achieve something others can not. I think they will go all in on making Siri a true personal assistant, since the other major companies appear to have abandoned theirs, and it would set Apple apart again - At least for a time.

He does get a major thumbs up from me on the Apple Watch though. Lovely product. (But also getting stale)

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
He does get a major thumbs up from me on the Apple Watch though. Lovely product. (But also getting stale)
To be fair, the watch was created during Jobs tenure, and Cook just help see this vision come to life. I think AVP is truly the first major product Apple created that Jobs had nothing to do with.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
To be fair, the watch was created during Jobs tenure, and Cook just help see this vision come to life. I think AVP is truly the first major product Apple created that Jobs had nothing to do with.
The major aspects and hardware of the Apple Watch was not developed under Jobs. He died 4 years before its release.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
According to Bloomberg, it’s most likely going to be John Ternus, and it’ll likely happen about three years from now.

My guess would be 2028, so Tim would’ve spent a full 30 years at the company.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
The major aspects and hardware of the Apple Watch was not developed under Jobs. He died 4 years before its release.
I understand but my point was that the creation of the product itself, the idea, the inception, was done by Jobs. He was the visionary for the product.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Apple should make a big event out of the next CIO. Dig out 5 decent ones and let all Appledevice owner vote on who should be the next one. One vote per :apple:device. :D

Oh, and while they are at it, make Carol Surface change her surname....Macintosh, Ventura,...whatever, just not Surface. I would've liked to sit in on the interview when they recruited her "A ffs, shes qualified enough, great recommendations but man...can we push her to change her surname to get the job"

Last edited:

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
My guess would be either John Ternus or Craig "Hair Force One" Federighi; both are a good age to take over, and as Ternus is head of Hardware Engineering and Federighi oversees Software Engineering, they both have a very good grasp of Apple's product line on a technical level.

If I had to narrow it down further, John Ternus would be the one I think would take the CEO position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.