Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Why didn’t you like the Air? What about the iPad Pro makes you like it more?
I have always been a desktop user coming from previous windows AIOs, the Air simply could not replace that experience, it was a stop gap device tbh.

As for choosing the iPad Pro over the Air:
-miniLED on the IPP
-Touchscreen
-Apps
-I prefer a tablet as a 2nd device
-still reached for the iPad and took swipes at the Air screen within the 3 days of owning it

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2020
I didn't choose the IPP over the MBA (as I get them through work) but I would choose the IPP over the MBA if it was my own money and I could only choose one. As others have said, the IPP is just so much more versatile then the MBA, plus, it's a more intimate device to use.

The MBA is a nice laptop, I particularly like that it is fanless but it's still a laptop. Given the accolades people have thrown at it I was expecting something revolutionary when I got it. (Native) Support for only one screen is disappointing apart from that it's ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaruLV

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Just curious about why some of you iPad Pro 12.9 users chose it over the MacBook Air? One of the biggest reasons for myself is that I mainly use a desktop computer. I like using the 12.9 iPad Pro since it is a different experience than what I already have on my desktop. I also really like the ability to remove the keyboard which I can't do on the Air. The iPad is also really fun to use since it has a touch screen.

What are your reasons?
Bought an iPP 12.9 2018 in October 2019 because I own a MBP 13 late 2013 that I still use as a desktop computer. I chose iPP for reading and studying article and book in pdf with the pencil and streaming series, films and webinars. After some time I started to use the iPP to write papers, editing video, preparing keynote. All this improved after I bought MK.

jumpingjackflash

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2016
Scandinavia
For me, 12,9” M1 iPad over MacBook Air:
+screen quality
+lightness
+overall Portability
+touch screen, better zooming, pinching etc.
+speaker quality (allthough Im not 100% sure)
+Price

-Battery Life
-Limited OS

KadMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
It's nice to see all these use cases. It seems like I always see a post in this forum where someone says to just get a MacBook Air since "it can do more things". There are things the iPad Pro can do though that the MacBook Air can't.

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
For the size, weight and utility (and price) - I prefer the MacBook Air as it does more things more comfortably while the iPad does things more uniquely.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
For the size, weight and utility (and price) - I prefer the MacBook Air as it does more things more comfortably while the iPad does things more uniquely.
I'd need a MacBook Air if I were away for longer than a week, but I could cope with the iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard for a week or less on its own. I expect that to improve when iPadOS 16 comes out.

Reactions: VaruLV and Isamilis

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It's nice to see all these use cases. It seems like I always see a post in this forum where someone says to just get a MacBook Air since "it can do more things". There are things the iPad Pro can do though that the MacBook Air can't.
And Apple will carefully ensure that MacBooks will continue to not be able to do some of those things (eg. touch and pencil) so that the 2 devices remain complementary and people are incentivized to own both.
Another feature that is exclusive to the iPad is cellular. I doubt this would push many people to not buy an iPad and only go with MacBooks, but for some reason Apple keeps making it exclusive to iPads.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Apple wants us to buy all of it 😂

It's so depending on what you use the devices for. Once we buy one new device we haven’t had before however, we find ways of using it that our earlier devices was not optimized for.

Personally I find Mac’s more useful, but I am sure iPad Pro’s would prove me wrong. But I like a real keyboard inbuilt as in my MBA. TheiPad Mini is perfect for shorter note taking and play. Bring on for light trips where I won’t need a computer, but a little more than the phone.
It’s all about a personal choice and how and what you want to use the devises for.

When we have a setup that feels optimal for our present use we know it.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
Just curious about why some of you iPad Pro 12.9 users chose it over the MacBook Air? One of the biggest reasons for myself is that I mainly use a desktop computer. I like using the 12.9 iPad Pro since it is a different experience than what I already have on my desktop. I also really like the ability to remove the keyboard which I can't do on the Air. The iPad is also really fun to use since it has a touch screen.

What are your reasons?
I already had a MacBook Pro for heavy duty usage. My main use cases for iPad Pro were Apple Pencil (for math equations, illustration, photo editing, & calligraphy), portability, media consumption, and sheet music. That last one is why I bought the 12.9”. I made printouts simulating the screen sizes and decided I needed at least letter sized paper equivalent. The smaller sizes were unusable at the distance I am from a music stand.

All my reasons except portability are exclusive to iPad. I think that while there’s a lot of overlap between Mac and iPad, many people don’t realize how different they actually are.

On the other hand I convinced my brother to get a MacBook Air rather than an iPad because he was looking at it as a computer replacement. He is now very happy he went with the MacBook Air. If one’s primary use case is keyboard and/or file system based (or as I like to say, “computery things”), an iPad is the wrong choice. In fact, if you’re even having to choose between the two, the iPad is probably the wrong choice. Only go for the iPad if you’re wanting it to do things the MacBook can’t. Most anything they both can do, the MacBook can do better.

Last edited:

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Hi!

In other forums I've said owning a laptop is much better, excluding creative tasks where an iPad would be useful.
Now, I'm using the basic iPad for scanning and pdf editing, it is great for my PhD. May be I regret having not purchase the pro refurbished model, but it would be more 300 euros plus the Apple Pencil 2. The camera would be very useful, but well, for the majority it is nothing that an iPhone couldn't do.

So, a laptop is my preferred workstation, and I find tablets very low on ergonomics. It would be a pain working on one, all day long, constantly trying to touch the screen. I don't like sleeves or cases and wouldn't buy a keyboard for that. I've bought a metal stand, it was cheap and it does serve my need.

My argument is that laptop is powerful enough, ergonomically perfect for working all day long on the several task you are into, even if a tablet can be useful for one or two things — but for that, I would stick with a basic one.

Alias3800

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2015
I know this isn’t exactly what was asked, but both work really well together. Namely, because you can use the laptop to get actual work done with the iPad next to it as a second screen, and then you can use the iPad for everything else after you’re done with laptop work.

Ponylover52

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2022
I’ve been working fine with my workflows on my iPad Air after dumping my MacBook Air. It’s obviously ultra portable even compared to MacBook Air and with the magic keyboard, it really flows the same way. With iPadOS 16 I’ll be able to seamlessly dock to a nice display and it will really complete it for me as a pretty darn perfected computer balancing incredible performance with incredible design.

Coreymac84

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
I did until I didn’t. Sold my 2018 iPP 12.9” in preparation for the Midnight M2 Air. This was the third iPad I owned and each time I have been excited about it and the prospects of its future as a laptop replacement…and each time Apple continues to hinder the iPadOS experience from doing just that. It’s an absolutely great device, but if I want to get real work done a laptop is necessary…and if I want to use my iPad for..ipaddy things…then it’s more convenient to pull out my iPhone Pro Max for a similar experience. M2 Air will be taking over as my middle ground portable device as it’s thinner and lighter than my iPP (with magic keyboard attached), can still get real work done (for my needs) and has a better battery. Goodbye my lover 😞

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I did until I didn’t. Sold my 2018 iPP 12.9” in preparation for the Midnight M2 Air. This was the third iPad I owned and each time I have been excited about it and the prospects of its future as a laptop replacement…and each time Apple continues to hinder the iPadOS experience from doing just that. It’s an absolutely great device, but if I want to get real work done a laptop is necessary…and if I want to use my iPad for..ipaddy things…then it’s more convenient to pull out my iPhone Pro Max for a similar experience. M2 Air will be taking over as my middle ground portable device as it’s thinner and lighter than my iPP (with magic keyboard attached), can still get real work done (for my needs) and has a better battery. Goodbye my lover 😞
Indeed iPads (even the iPP 12.9”) cant replace laptops for real work, unless your usage are basic daily things and media consumption, and for ‘iPaddy things’ i can compromised and use iPhone, but still prefer using iPad Mini as my sofa surfer/reading device.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The thread is title why did you choose the iPad over MBA… not why you decided to go with a MBA over an iPad. Perhaps, the work you do is more suited for a MBA… but to generalize that the iPad cannot do real work is a lazy statement.

I’ll refer you to this Thread….

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
Indeed iPads (even the iPP 12.9”) cant replace laptops for real work, unless your usage are basic daily things and media consumption, and for ‘iPaddy things’ i can compromised and use iPhone, but still prefer using iPad Mini as my sofa surfer/reading device.
The iPad is fantastic as a note-taking and ebook reading device, but it fails when you have loads of Safari tabs open. Maybe it is better with a Magic Keyboard. I'm still deciding whether to get one. But I'm happy I got the iPad.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I wanted both.
I also wanted to try to live with iPad as my only/main personal computing device, yet, M1 Air seduced me into its long battery life and fanless design.
Its large bezels, however, for the price I paid for M1 MBA, were just too prominent in 2021, so I returned it after few days and stayed with my M1 12.9.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I'd need a MacBook Air if I were away for longer than a week, but I could cope with the iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard for a week or less on its own. I expect that to improve when iPadOS 16 comes out.
I took my iPP 12.9 instead of ThinkPad to my month vacation with me, typing this on on-screen keyboard atm(Windows on screen keyboard is much better tho.).
Sure, theres difference netween being at work or just chilling and doing your personal research with an iPad.

Only go for the iPad if you’re wanting it to do things the MacBook can’t. Most anything they both can do, the MacBook can do better.
I have some apps that are great and iPad only.
Have I used everything my iPad has in it? No, I havent, but neither would I with MacBook or any other device.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The iPad is fantastic as a note-taking and ebook reading device, but it fails when you have loads of Safari tabs open. Maybe it is better with a Magic Keyboard. I'm still deciding whether to get one. But I'm happy I got the iPad.
If you can find a Magic Keyboard on sale… buy it. I highly recommend it… I recently purchase mine about a few months ago.

But I’m not sure how the Magic Keyboard will help with Safari tabs loading issues… if anything, that’s a result of RAM usage.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Things I can do on my mini 6 that my M1 Pro MBP can't do:

1) Sign/annotate documents
2) Take handwritten notes
3) Hold in one hand for reading or watching video
4) 5G
5) Sketching

These are the exact 5 things I got it for, and 3 of them involve Apple Pencil. In my opinion, the Pencil is the killer feature that distinguishes iPad from Mac. (other than the smaller, lighter form factor)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
Things I can do on my mini 6 that my M1 Pro MBP can't do:

1) Sign/annotate documents
2) Take handwritten notes
3) Hold in one hand for reading or watching video
4) 5G
5) Sketching

These are the exact 5 things I got it for, and 3 of them involve Apple Pencil. In my opinion, the Pencil is the killer feature that distinguishes iPad from Mac. (other than the smaller, lighter form factor)
I agree. The Apple Pencil makes a huge difference, and being able to use scribble or whatever Apple call it when it turns handwritten text into computer text is a game-changer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.