Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitrobear

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2024
A whole heap of countries no longer receive an iPad charger- why is it some do and some don't?

A Quick Look reveals that places like the US, Thailand and Hong Kong still do, but the UK and lots of others don't?

Why screw specific countries only, Apple?
EU regulations force manufacturers to offer the option to sell their devices without a charger, so it's easier for Apple to just not offer one at all since the iPads are USB-C capable.
It sucks that it's not cheaper in here.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
EU regulations force manufacturers to offer the option to sell their devices without a charger, so it's easier for Apple to just not offer one at all since the iPads are USB-C capable.
I wonder if that will apply to all electrical goods in the future? EU prices are mental as it is

Reactions: Tybull and gotong

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
They’d better still include one on the base when they update that… if the entry model doesn’t have one, where are you supposed to get this reusable brick from? You shouldn’t have to pay extra to be able to charge a device without powering up the PC… which many people no longer have or use due to the iPad now being capable of the tasks they used them for. Charging via PC is bound to unnecessarily waste electricity if you don’t need to use the PC at the same time, but apparently that’s OK?

If the UK government binned this directive from UK law, you can bet it still wouldn’t come with the brick since the countries that still have a brick in the box presumably use different cellular bands. This way = more money and not having to package up a product differently for the sake of one country.

Bricks surely are going to break eventually, or fail PAT tests… surely they should also force Apple to give you a new brick when an old one is handed in. Having one spare would be sensible, but I begrudge paying for it since the iPhone indicates that this is as much greed as it is the EU.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89 and ric22

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Seems like legal permission for Apple to collect $25 with all new iPads. Adapters for MacBooks will cost consumers $50 to $100 unless you buy Anker. Maybe European consumers will be lucky and Apple includes a voucher in the box?

Reactions: ric22

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
UK is not in the EU so that excuse doesn't fly.

To not offer a charging brick in a device costing from a grand, a charging brick that most people will NOT have as it's not a standard phone charger, is pretty lowball disgusting money gouging to be honest. The ONLY thing it serves to do is generate profit for Apple.
Imagine specking the £2800 option and NOT get a charging brick included...

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

To not offer a charging brick in a device costing from a grand, a charging brick that most people will NOT have as it's not a standard phone charger, is pretty lowball disgusting money gouging to be honest. The ONLY thing it serves to do is generate for profit for Apple.
Switzerland is even less the EU than the UK (it's never been, so the excuse that that this predates brexit does not apply) and still does not get a brick, it's just a way for Apple to save money...

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Switzerland is even less the EU than the UK (it's never been, so the excuse that that this predates brexit does not apply) and still does not get a brick, it's just a way for Apple to save money...
Switzerland and other non-EU countries like Norway and Iceland still enact many EU regulations in order to gain access to the European single market through various agreements. Not sure if this specific case applies, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
They should give you the option to add on a charging brick for a nominal price when purchasing a device. I actually like not getting a charging brick. I could probably go my entire life without acquiring another USB charger and still never be in need of one at this point. We all probably have a giant box of cables we don't know what to do with. I don't want to trade that for a giant box of chargers.

I also really like how so many things are now charged with an adapter and USB power cable including non-computer things. My automated pet food dispenser runs off of a USB-C plug. It's one less power adapter I have to try not to lose.

It's a messy process, but I like the direction it's going.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
To not offer a charging brick in a device costing from a grand, a charging brick that most people will NOT have as it's not a standard phone charger, is pretty lowball disgusting money gouging to be honest. The ONLY thing it serves to do is generate for profit for Apple.
Well, there are two separate parts to this: (a) whether it still makes sense to bundle a brick now that pretty much everything uses a standard USB-C charger and (b) whether Apple is passing on any cost saving to the consumer.

(a) is not just about price, it's about not adding to the growing pile of redundant power bricks. It's also about choice - even Apple now offer a range of adapters - some with double sockets if you want to charge a MacBook and phone - higher power ones if you need fast charging. Also, there plenty of decent 3rd party options these days. Personally, I think Apple should maybe leave out all the cables and chargers and give you a £25 Apple Store credit to buy what you need. It wouldn't cost them £25 and it could also be a loss leader that encouraged people to spend more in the store.

(b) is hard to gauge, since these are new models at new price points and US vs. rest-of-world prices are always inscrutable (bear in mind the EU and UK are also getting a far better statutory warranty than the US). Ultimately, complaints on a postcard to Apple, and by all means don't give them a second bite of the cherry by buying one of their overpriced power bricks.

Bricks surely are going to break eventually, or fail PAT tests… surely they should also force Apple to give you a new brick when an old one is handed in.
In my experience, bricks usually outlast the device they came with... unless abused. And, yes, in the EU/UK, if your power brick fails before its time - potentially up to 5 years of reasonable wear and tear (i.e. there was a design or manufacturing fault that made it unfit for purpose) - you are entitled to a free repair or replacement. Meanwhile, no country in the world thinks that you should get free replacements for stuff that has genuinely worn out or been destroyed by misuse.

if the entry model doesn’t have one, where are you supposed to get this reusable brick from?
If you have any other device charged by USB-C (which is most things now) then you already have one. And if you somehow don't then you only need to buy it once, and can choose something appropriate to your actual needs (like a multi port charger).

I'm looking at a shelf with at least 4 old USB iPad chargers, any of which, at a pinch, would charge a new iPad overnight with a USB-A-to-C adapter (and there's a couple of those sitting on the desk). I don't use those any more because I already bought a nice Anker 60W charger that will charge up to 4 devices which I use to charge my phone, Kindle, ancient iPad Pro, AppleTV remote - and its easily small enough to take on the road if I wanted.

I've been travelling with a single USB-A charger and a handful of cables to charge all my handheld devices - phones, iPads, ebook readers, wireless headphones, iPods when they were a thing - since the late 00s - now I could just use a single USB-C charger that would charge all of that and the laptop... and there's already a lighter adapter and USB-A-to-C cable that lives in my car.

Heck, you can fit mains sockets with built-in USB-C charging ports now.

So even if the iPad Pro is your first USB-C consumer electronics device, it won't be your last and it probably makes sense to buy a general-purpose USB-C charger that suits your needs, rather than accept whatever minimum-viable-product gets bundled.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011

To not offer a charging brick in a device costing from a grand, a charging brick that most people will NOT have as it's not a standard phone charger, is pretty lowball disgusting money gouging to be honest. The ONLY thing it serves to do is generate profit for Apple.
iPhones are “a grand” and haven’t come with a charger in years. Yes, any phone charger (that everyone already has) will charge an iPad Pro just fine.

Reactions: troubleonline

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Surely it’ll massively reduce the amount of electronic waste too?!
No, it does not. That is a total misconception as the iPad does NOT come with a standard charger, it is a bigger more powerful one due to the much larger battery size, it's like getting your laptop and being expected to use your 4 year old iPhone charger to charge it up..... not many people have these bigger chargers, and let's not forget these are USB C so I think it's perfectly acceptable to expect a charger with a 2 grand tablet! It is pure price gouging of the consumer.

If Apple gave a damn about the environment it would stop using children to mine the rare earth materials their devices use in masse damaging the environment as they do the mining.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
iPhones are “a grand” and haven’t come with a charger in years. Yes, any phone charger (that everyone already has) will charge an iPad Pro just fine.

Sure in at LEAST double the time the charger the M1 and M2 iPad Pros came with... you go and use an old iPhone charger to charge your new 3 grand 13" iPad Pro up daily, see how long you last doing that!

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Well, there are two separate parts to this: (a) whether it still makes sense to bundle a brick now that pretty much everything uses a standard USB-C charger and (b) whether Apple is passing on any cost saving to the consumer.

(a) is not just about price, it's about not adding to the growing pile of redundant power bricks. It's also about choice - even Apple now offer a range of adapters - some with double sockets if you want to charge a MacBook and phone - higher power ones if you need fast charging. Also, there plenty of decent 3rd party options these days. Personally, I think Apple should maybe leave out all the cables and chargers and give you a £25 Apple Store credit to buy what you need. It wouldn't cost them £25 and it could also be a loss leader that encouraged people to spend more in the store.

(b) is hard to gauge, since these are new models at new price points and US vs. rest-of-world prices are always inscrutable (bear in mind the EU and UK are also getting a far better statutory warranty than the US). Ultimately, complaints on a postcard to Apple, and by all means don't give them a second bite of the cherry by buying one of their overpriced power bricks.

In my experience, bricks usually outlast the device they came with... unless abused. And, yes, in the EU/UK, if your power brick fails before its time - potentially up to 5 years of reasonable wear and tear (i.e. there was a design or manufacturing fault that made it unfit for purpose) - you are entitled to a free repair or replacement. Meanwhile, no country in the world thinks that you should get free replacements for stuff that has genuinely worn out or been destroyed by misuse.

If you have any other device charged by USB-C (which is most things now) then you already have one. And if you somehow don't then you only need to buy it once, and can choose something appropriate to your actual needs (like a multi port charger).

I'm looking at a shelf with at least 4 old USB iPad chargers, any of which, at a pinch, would charge a new iPad overnight with a USB-A-to-C adapter (and there's a couple of those sitting on the desk). I don't use those any more because I already bought a nice Anker 60W charger that will charge up to 4 devices which I use to charge my phone, Kindle, ancient iPad Pro, AppleTV remote - and its easily small enough to take on the road if I wanted.

I've been travelling with a single USB-A charger and a handful of cables to charge all my handheld devices - phones, iPads, ebook readers, wireless headphones, iPods when they were a thing - since the late 00s - now I could just use a single USB-C charger that would charge all of that and the laptop... and there's already a lighter adapter and USB-A-to-C cable that lives in my car.

Heck, you can fit mains sockets with built-in USB-C charging ports now.

So even if the iPad Pro is your first USB-C consumer electronics device, it won't be your last and it probably makes sense to buy a general-purpose USB-C charger that suits your needs, rather than accept whatever minimum-viable-product gets bundled.

No you are not entitled to a free charger replacement, you have to prove it had a design defect when you purchased it to get that. It's a fallacy that you can simply walk into a store and demand a 5 year old device is replaced brand new for free.

Secondly. A 12 month guarantee has nothing to do with a charger in the box. And the UK more then pays for that in increased pricing.

And thirdly in what world would Apple ever pass on cost savings to the consumer or give you £25 store credit to buy a charger? They having done it so far and never will, they aren't the worlds richest company by being nice on pricing. It's a nice idea that sadly will never happen.

It is still wrong not to include the charger and is just being done for profit. iPads don't sell anywhere near the number iPhones do.

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
I suspect he wasn't comparing tablets with phones, because they're different tools. Especially when Apple calls one a laptop replacement 👀 Also, tablets typically charge at higher wattages, not supported by as many chargers.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

ric22

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
It was ironic* that Apple chose the moment they switched from USB-C to USB-A charging to quit supplying chargers, claiming that everyone already has one so it's just fuelling e-waste. Convenient that it forced so many people to buy new chargers from them.

*cynical

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.