Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
just out of curiousity if these MacBook Pro models 2016/2017 are having serious defects (in relation to the keyboard)as everyone is making them out to be... why do people still buy them?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
why do people still buy them?
Variety of reasons.
  • They may not be aware
  • They may not believe its a big issue
  • They may believe apple will (or has) resolved the issue
  • They may need a laptop and cannot wait and a windows machine does not suit them.
Overall, Id say the majority of consumers are probably unaware of all the chatter that is occurring in tech sites and blogs about Apple's keyboard and so they're unaware of the problem.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Because they have no choice and want to get the best bang for their buck. Remember, they are still powerful laptops that can handle the latest pro apps. The keyboards might be a disappointing aspect, but that doesn't take away from the performance and overall design. Hopefully with the next couple revisions between 2018/2019, the butterfly keyboard will get better.

Last edited:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Mine 2017 15” MBP has worked flawlessly since I bought it last June. So far it is the best laptop I’ve ever owned.

I play stringed instruments and am always working to lighten my touch so I can play with less effort. The new keyboard is actually helping me with this.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Because they have no choice and want to get bank for their buck. Remember, they are still powerful laptops that can handle the latest pro apps. The keyboards might be a disappointing aspect, but that doesn't take away from the performance and overall design. Hopefully with the next couple revisions between 2018/2019, the butterfly keyboard will get better.
ahh i understand i desperately needed a laptop and i have never owned a macbook pro prior... i unfortunately purchased the 256 gb 13 inch macbook pro :/ I hope i dont experience these issues as I live in jamaica and almost impossible to get it serviced

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
TL;DR: Because they are nice computers that do a good job in meeting the needs of many respective owners.

I think going into any purchase with background knowledge is worthwhile, and awareness regarding the keyboard issues is important (no different than knowing of the hinge or sleep issues with the Surface Book, or the AR screen coating issue with the 2012-2015 MBP, or the strange noises of the XPS.) It's equally important to keep in mind that determining the commonality of the issues is usually near impossible (negative experiences are indeed reported more frequently than positive ones), and, so, any electronics purchase is always to some extent a risk.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Mine 2017 15” MBP has worked flawlessly since I bought it last June. So far it is the best laptop I’ve ever owned.

I play stringed instruments and am always working to lighten my touch so I can play with less effort. The new keyboard is actually helping me with this.
glad to hear positive comments.. makes me feel less paranoid
[doublepost=1512045557][/doublepost]
TL;DR: Because they are nice computers that do a good job in meeting the needs of many respective owners.

I think going into any purchase with background knowledge is worthwhile, and awareness regarding the keyboard issues is important (no different than knowing of the hinge or sleep issues with the Surface Book, or the AR screen coating issue with the 2012-2015 MBP, or the strange noises of the XPS.) It's equally important to keep in mind that determining the commonality of the issues is usually near impossible (negative experiences are indeed reported more frequently than positive ones), and, so, any electronics purchase is always to some extent a risk.
thats actually true.. i think more people would voice negative outcomes versus positives

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
Haven't had a single issue with my 2017 15" i7/512/560.
The only issues I've had has been with High Sierra, which messes up the experience a lot (GPU performance on resume from sleep is horrible and requires a full restart of the computer, etc). The laptop worked like a dream on Sierra 10.12.6.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I'm having no issues with mine that said Apple unlike other manufactures if there is a defect I can guarantee they will fix it for free. They call it support and its something companies like HP suck at.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
My 2017 bought in July is fine. It may or may not develop an issue going forward. I bought AC+ as with every major Apple device. If I get hit with out of warranty cost, I will deal with that when it happens.
I would never solely rely on random comments on online communities regarding my purchase decisions.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I would never solely rely on random comments on online communities regarding my purchase decisions.

I fully agree with this..
That said, the huge uptick in discussions around the keyboard problems is definitely "something" that was simply not a thing before the 2016 MBP's and to some extent the 2015 rMBs.

You're very smart to have AC+, especially on these newer MBPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonmet

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
Mines great, I had a few issues with keys becoming stuck on my 2016 MBP but a can of compressed air resolved it each time.

Just because there are lots of posts on a forum does not make it representative of MBP ownership as a whole. Owners often only reach out to post on a forum when they have an issue. 'Everyone' as you put it is a couple of hundred users on this forum as opposed to several million Macbook Pro owners out there happily using their devices.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Just because there are lots of posts on a forum does not make it representative of MBP ownership as a whole.

Correct- But the point is that there were essentially no discussions about keyboard issues with 2015 and earlier machines.

There's an issue with the new keyboards that hopefully they resolve.

Again, remember, even a 2016 model is not even 2 years old yet.
Imagine the carnage if Apple digs in, insists there's no problem and then these units start coming off AppleCare (regular 1 year or extended 3 year) and having failures.

It's a very very expensive repair (entire top case replacement - whole computer comes apart)

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
just out of curiousity if these MacBook Pro models 2016/2017 are having serious defects (in relation to the keyboard)as everyone is making them out to be... why do people still buy them?

There's a lot of Apple fanboys out there.
Enough to keep them in business.
[doublepost=1512080778][/doublepost]
Hopefully with the next couple revisions between 2018/2019, the butterfly keyboard will get better.

I was hoping Apple would stop with the butterfly keyboards all together. Enough is enough.
Go back to something that works; a regular keyboard.
Which always had far fewer issues.
I remember the days when Apple used to pride themselves on their keyboards.
[doublepost=1512080967][/doublepost]
It's early...
May fortune favor you and your particular machine (to all that have them)

Buy Applecare+

That's right.

The new Macbook Pro has been a major boom to Applecare sales.

Good move Apple.

Last edited:

Trolle

macrumors member
May 24, 2016
Human mind is conditioned to find problems, so you will find something wrong with everything and anything. Honestly, the current macbook pro is a true beast. I have tried the i7 with the 256 ssd and the keyboard is outstanding. The trackpad does bother me a bit though. It gets in the way. Apple will continue to refine this beast and the next year or two
is gonna be Interesting to see what they can add.

Reactions: HenryDJP

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014

They will be fortunate enough to get the exception or did not check YouTube reviews first?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.