Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Defects!?

My wife and I have had a 2016 model (Non-TB) literally since they came out (well for mine, her's was a few weeks later).

I haven't had any keyboard problems, or any at all really.

Reactions: HenryDJP

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
But if the problem is just some dust they can fix it quickly at the AS, and they can't ask you $700.
If I broke the keyboard completely I know the cost is going to be high, but I think it is very unlikely to happen.
And if it turn out is going to be a problem for a lot of people they may fix it for free even after warranty is expired.

There are two fixes for the keyboard if even a single key stops functioning because a single speck of dust lodges underneath it. 1. Blow it out with compressed air (pray it works), 2. Replace the top of the laptop and the ENTIRE keyboard (hundreds of dollars off warranty).

That said the lack of travel in the butterfly mechanism allegedly makes it harder for dust to lodge under there.

Personally, I’m not an irrational hater...I’m a wanter. I want to get a new MBP, but I want it to last as long as possible. My wife is using my 2010 MBP...I’m still using a 2012. I can imagine, though, how upsetting it would be for the 2016 or 17 models, as awesome as everything else about them is, to put me in a position in a few years where I have to pay few hundred dollars because a single key doesn’t work (or work with a laptop on which a key doesn’t work). I can handle not being able to upgrade my RAM or even the idea of a catastrophic logic board meltdown...but dust under keyboard requiring a new keyboard bothers me a little too much.

Reactions: hipnetic

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
People like me buy them because they're aren't any real good alternatives. I've tried several Windows laptops and frankly the touchscreen and pen technology is way ahead of anything Apple has now. Using a pen in Photoshop or Lightroom or to add notes to documents is a real boon. But, what kept me from keeping one of these machines is their crappy trackpads. They're not precise and the cursor randomly jumps around. Microsoft Precision Touchpads are supposed to be the best, yet they're only marginally better than the Synaptic ones and nowhere close to the standard Apple has developed. Windows 10 keeps improving and maybe if the hardware vendors ever figure out the trackpad there will be real competition, but until then it's a MacBook Pro for me.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I just wanted to report back on my 2016 MBP 13" keyboard. I think I already mentioned that my up arrow key seemed to require a little more force than the other arrow keys. It didn't bother me too much, but earlier today I was making frequent use of my arrow keys and it was driving me crazy. I'd be curious to hear from other 2016 and 2017 MPB owners as to how that key works for them.

As I mentioned before, even though my MacBook is a 2016 model, it was just purchased a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure the issue has been there since day one, so I don't think it's a dust issue, but rather a design issue (I believe there's a thread somewhere about the directional keys on the 2016, but I'm not sure if it was improved on the 2017).

Last edited:
Reactions: rutrack

Elcompa

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
NC, USA
I’m sure the majority of people that own MacBook pros are happy with their purchase. The people that moan and groan here is a very small percentage of overall MacBook Pro owners.

Agreed. We have 2016 and 2017 ntb MBP's in the house. Love them both/Both work great. 2017 keyboard seems a tiny bit better feel/experience than the 2016 and has never gotten stuck. In one year I have cleaned the 2016 keyboard 2 times due to a sticky key. Did it myself, not terrible, not worth complaining about. i just dont eat over it as I have with previous Macbook Pros. It has never needed to be in the shop either. So, not a big deal at all.

Reactions: HenryDJP

ahmedouvix

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2013
i had many issues in keyboard in 2016 15". i sold it and got a 2017 instead

the keyboard is much better than 2016

the only issue i am experiencing is that the keyboard keys scratch the display
[doublepost=1512982428][/doublepost]
I’m sure the majority of people that own MacBook pros are happy with their purchase. The people that moan and groan here is a very small percentage of overall MacBook Pro owners.

i thought it's small percentage when i got my 2016 15" but i actually had the same exact issues everyone complaining about. i didn't want to go through many replacements like many others here so i took the short way and got 2017 instead

no issues so far

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.