Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbkevinmichael

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2017
Anaheim, CA
So as yall may have seen I posted pictures of my recently returned iPhone 8 Plus (64GB) and let me tell you why I returned it. It was a snappy phone with a great camera but coming from an iPhone 7 Plus 128GB, 64GB was just not going to cut it... I kept trying to tell myself oh i only use 30GB but that didn't change anything. The glass back was nice and all but when i put a case on i felt like why the hell did i just spend $799 on the same phone i already had? Wireless charging was cool and all but 3 hours to charge at 100% was just like WTF? Ill just plug it in and continue to use my phone, the only time i enjoyed wireless charging was when i was sleeping....
The only real thing that i did enjoy was true tone! GOD I MISS THAT TRUE TONE.....(Cries internally)

Honestly looks like ill be sticking with my iPhone 7 plus for 1 more year why apple decides to give their customers really want!

EDGE TO EDGE DISPLAY
TOUCH ID UNDER SCREEN

by the way i dont know what the purpose of this post was but thanks for reading.

anyone else thinking about returning their iphone 8 plus?

btw ios 11 on iphone 7 plus feels sluggish but i have to have it for my AW3

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
No plans to return my 8 Plus... it was a huge upgrade for me in hardware and battery life.

I upgraded from the 6s Plus though... not the 7.

The OP thinking the 8 isn't much of an upgrade is exactly why I kept the 6s Plus and passed on the 7 last year... and somehow I made it an entire year without being in possession of Apple's current flagship phone.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
I had same dilema coming from 7+ 128g. I bought 8+ 256. I can sell 7+ for at least $600. Then i like fast cpu, better camera with 4k 60fps, great stereo speaker, and more storage plus wireless charging. All these worth extra $400 for me. I dont like x with face id and oled display.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
So as yall may have seen I posted pictures of my recently returned iPhone 8 Plus (64GB) and let me tell you why I returned it. It was a snappy phone with a great camera but coming from an iPhone 7 Plus 128GB, 64GB was just not going to cut it... I kept trying to tell myself oh i only use 30GB but that didn't change anything. The glass back was nice and all but when i put a case on i felt like why the hell did i just spend $799 on the same phone i already had? Wireless charging was cool and all but 3 hours to charge at 100% was just like WTF? Ill just plug it in and continue to use my phone, the only time i enjoyed wireless charging was when i was sleeping....
The only real thing that i did enjoy was true tone! GOD I MISS THAT TRUE TONE.....(Cries internally)

Honestly looks like ill be sticking with my iPhone 7 plus for 1 more year why apple decides to give their customers really want!

EDGE TO EDGE DISPLAY
TOUCH ID UNDER SCREEN

by the way i dont know what the purpose of this post was but thanks for reading.

anyone else thinking about returning their iphone 8 plus?

btw ios 11 on iphone 7 plus feels sluggish but i have to have it for my AW3

So you went back to using a wood stick.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I would do the same coming from a 7. There just isn't much reason to upgrade. I wouldn't hold your breath for Touch ID under the screen though as I doubt that will be happening. It's been replaced by Face ID moving forward.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Buying or justifying the latest phone for iterative upgrades is foolish. If yer phone is f*****d then get a new one and admire the iteritive changes. If you are buying a new phone because it's new and expect generation upgrades then you are that fool who's easily parted from his money.

The question here isn't why you returned it, but why you bought it in the first place,?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
So as yall may have seen I posted pictures of my recently returned iPhone 8 Plus (64GB) and let me tell you why I returned it. It was a snappy phone with a great camera but coming from an iPhone 7 Plus 128GB, 64GB was just not going to cut it... I kept trying to tell myself oh i only use 30GB but that didn't change anything. The glass back was nice and all but when i put a case on i felt like why the hell did i just spend $799 on the same phone i already had? Wireless charging was cool and all but 3 hours to charge at 100% was just like WTF? Ill just plug it in and continue to use my phone, the only time i enjoyed wireless charging was when i was sleeping.....The only real thing that i did enjoy was true tone! GOD I MISS THAT TRUE TONE.....
It's always interesting to read people's opinions before jumping, but what I can't figure out is why, besides the SE, we're having a line-up of 6S, 7 and 8 in addition to the coming X. If the rationale was to have a lower-priced 4.7/5.5" tier available, why are they keeping the 7/7+ around. They are much closer in performance and price to the 8/8+ than they are to the 6S/6S+. Alternatively, by eliminating the 6S instead, and keeping the 7 in addition to the 8, wouldn't they somewhat cannibalize sales of the latter?

Either way, three different 4.7/5.5" iPhone tiers seems like one too many to me, or am I missing something?

Reactions: sbkevinmichael

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I had same dilema coming from 7+ 128g. I bought 8+ 256. I can sell 7+ for at least $600. Then i like fast cpu, better camera with 4k 60fps, great stereo speaker, and more storage plus wireless charging. All these worth extra $400 for me. I dont like x with face id and oled display.

Same here. I went from a 7+ to the 8+ and I have no regrets. Faster CPU, better speaker clarity, better screen (True Tone is pretty nice), the feel of the glass back, wireless charging and better battery life make the $300ish net out of pocket worth it to me.

Two weeks in and I haven’t even considered going back. But, I get that a lot of those things don’t matter to people, so I get what the OP is saying.

Reactions: Bethanie21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.