Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'd be interested in seeing threads or articles with complaints of burn-in on Apples OLED screens that you say is so prolific. I'm in these forums almost daily and I can't remember a single instance.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Actually 61% more according to my math.

1280*720=921,600
1792*828=1,483,776

1,483,776/921,600=1.61

And it’s only 28% fewer pixels than 1080p. Calling this a “720p” screen is a lie, because even if you’re going to round it to the nearest 16:9 standard, it’s proportionally closer to 1080p than 720p.
Thanks for the math correction!

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
I love my XR, but I think it's disingenuous to say the XS phones are at risk of getting burn-in. If anything they might suffer from IR(image retention) but that goes away.
There sadly has already been reports of burn in on the iPhone X as of August this year, that’s less than a year old from release. Burn in is enevitable on any OLED no matter how hard you try to mitigate it, it will happen. =)
[doublepost=1540846403][/doublepost]
Yeah I own the XS Max and this is also my 5th replacement phone. Apple have lost their way with quality this time around, and I honestly am still not completely happy with my Max.

I had a play with the XR in store the other day and really loved it, the screen looks so much better than the OLED on this Max. The size is also a little better to me as it’s right between the XS which is too small (to me) and the XS Max which is too big.

The main reason I like the XR more is the LCD screen, I’m not bothered about dual cameras anyway. I’d switch to an XR in a heartbeat if I could, unfortunately however, I can’t, as I’ve had my XS Max for a little over 2 weeks. Will just have to put up with it for another year I suppose. :(
Im sorry to hear that, are you able to perhaps sell your XS Max? Then use those funds to buy an XR? =(
[doublepost=1540846520][/doublepost]
I'd be interested in seeing threads or articles with complaints of burn-in on Apples OLED screens that you say is so prolific. I'm in these forums almost daily and I can't remember a single instance.
I’ve seen a couple of threads now about it =). Just google it. You’ll find it. =)

Reactions: Jovijoker

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I just can’t believe he’s had that many problems buying the phone. 7 phones, all with problems, except the final when he switched to an XR.
I’ve bought countless new and refurbed items from Apple for 32 years. Never experienced dead pixels, scratches, chips, glitches, problems, etc.
One item out of all had the mother board quit after first day. They replaced the unit when I walked in with it.
By the time I have bothersome burn-in on the Max, it’ll be time for a new phone anyways.
End of story.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
E4BD4597-FCB1-4DB9-980C-0BD1876F23BC.jpeg

I know which sky looks more accurate to what I saw when I took the picture.
[doublepost=1541102397][/doublepost]
727877A8-73BF-40E1-946A-AE2E31BC4FA2.jpeg

Same edits. In fact, it’s a sync’d image.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
I love my XR, but I’m going in for a replacement this evening. It’s got a click at the bottom on the side of the screen. There wasn’t any movement when I noticed it two days ago, but last night the screen flickered and turned off. I had to do a hard reset to get it to respond again. Since I got it Tuesday, I’m going to swap it out for another XR today.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You mention burn in a few times; I really don't think that's something to worry about. I have t read any examples of burn in. My X is now a year old, I haven't changed my usage habits at all, and have no burn in.

But anyway, it's good you found something you're happy with. I'll be with my X at least another two years lol. These phones are too expensive now.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
You mention burn in a few times; I really don't think that's something to worry about. I have t read any examples of burn in. My X is now a year old, I haven't changed my usage habits at all, and have no burn in.

But anyway, it's good you found something you're happy with. I'll be with my X at least another two years lol. These phones are too expensive now.
I’ve seen horrible burn-ins on the display Galaxy S9 few weeks ago. Not sure if iPhone's OLED screen is any different than Samsung's since Samsung makes it for Apple.

Reactions: Jovijoker

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I’ve seen horrible burn-ins on the display Galaxy S9 few weeks ago. Not sure if iPhone's OLED screen is any different than Samsung's since Samsung makes it for Apple.
I mean, the X is a year old now. If anything you should easily be able to find evidence of display units. Is it happening? I don't know... not that I've seen or read.

I'm not disputing that burn in can happen. I'm just not hearing of it in Apple's phones. If this was a brand new product I could understand. But we do have the nearly 13 months their oled phones have been on the market as a guide.

Edit: google produces articles claiming a 17 hour static image must be displayed for burn in. That sounds like a non issue for all but the most extreme fringe usage cases.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You said ‘burn ins‘, as in plural with multiple S9’s? Are you referring to burn in on display units for the S9 that you have observed in stores? If so, Those displays naturally overtime will accrue burn in, because they are active displays for over 14 hours a day/seven days a week.

Reactions: lordofthereef

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
So I decided to yesterday make the transition from iPhone XS to iPhone XR and here is my reasons why. I’m either extremely unlucky or Apples quality control has taken a massive hit and spiraled downward into a heap of explosive flames. I have now had 7 iPhone XS replacements, both XS and XS Max. Every single one has had issues and had me literally baffled as to what I should do. Most of them had dead pixels, one had a charging issue beyond the software fix and another that kept dropping calls constantly. ALL of them bar one had scratches and chips in the glass to some degree and I got to a point where I just wanted to give up and accept that perhaps Apples $1800 to $2049 iPhone is just not worth its price.

I then decided to give Apple one more shot with the iPhone XR. After watching and reading many reviews I decided to get the iPhone XR 256gb as I knew LCD was less troublesome and a technology that has a lot more history behind it, I also had the mentality that perhaps being of lesser demand it might not be as “rushed” and therefore not damaged out of the box. Turns out my theory was right or I had a strike of luck! I LOVE my iPhone XR. The display is beautiful and to be holding an LCD that is so uniquely shaped actually feels pretty cool! The colours pop, its sharp and looks super crisp, I am extremely impressed. One of my biggest fears and hates for OLED is the the burn in that will inevitably occur at some point and having to relearn how to use your phone to avoid burn in and be more mindful of how bright the screen is, how long it has been left on for, what types of wallpapers you use and so on and so forth. I felt like I couldn’t enjoy my phone with the iPhone X and XS because of these constant concerns that burn in will occur faster that usual. It turns out that people have already noticed burn in on their iPhone X after about to 10 months of use and these are people that claim they aren’t using the phone for heavily or aren’t power users. I love that with the iPhone XR I don’t have to worry about this and I can just simply enjoy the phone. My iPhone XR also came out of the box pristine which is fantastic! I was so pleased! The battery life is amazing and it really is a great screen size. I feel like I get a premium iPhone experience without the worries and concerns of burn in, dead pixels and other garbage that seems to have plagued the iPhone X, XS and XS Max.

With regards to the plethora of dead pixels that I found on the iPhone XS and XS Max I found them to be the green sub pixel that was the biggest issue. Im not sure why this is but I flicked the phone to a plain white or green screen and on the green image it was extremely noticeable followed by white. I know nothing is perfect but when Apple wants to charge a premium for their top tier iPhones... you expect they wouldn’t come with dead pixels, scratches, chips and other defects out of the box, at least not on a consistent level like I have experienced. In the case of the iPhone XR... well done Apple... I’m impressed and I love it.

I hope this can help someone if they are tossing up whether to choose between the iPhone XS/XS Max and the iPhone XR. The XR is a mixture of innovation and reliability.

Didn’t the same thing happen to you with the iPhone 8.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-8-quality-control-issues.2076899/

Glad your enjoying your xr, but your experiences with both the Xs an 8 seem peculiar to say the least.

Yes the iPhones panels are different.

22cf38a06c310afaaca50c724b2e8c2a.jpg

And

1146695b03a21a870bf7c6546b30c1ff.jpg

Hrti

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
Lightroom CC
[doublepost=1541130217][/doublepost]This is a really hard decision. Still prefer smaller size of XS but prefer the screen of the XR. Yes. The XR. It seems more accurate to me. I do more photos than videos.

Receiving my XR later today, will report back. Returned the XS because of color accuracy and color shift issues. I also use LR CC a lot for my fuji raw files. Hoping the XR display has more accurate color reproduction (like my IPP and calibrated iMac 27 5K). Especially found skin tones hopeless on the XS. From in-store testing the colors on the XR screen look more accurate than the XS in that regard.

Reactions: PBz

Totemsflare

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
London
For what is worth, yesterday I was checking the screens from the XR and XS Max side by side in a store. I checked the same stock photos and videos. I honestly couldn’t see a difference at all. Either in colour or resolution. I wasn’t holding them straight to my face just at a normal mid chest height. I really was expecting some mighty difference but couldn’t see anything.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
The difference will be noticeable while viewing HDR photos/videos since XS support it, also photos with deep blacks and in a darker room, store display areas are normally well lit so may not be obvious there. If you compare XS and XR with basic wallpaper and standard apps, it may not look so much different

For what is worth, yesterday I was checking the screens from the XR and XS Max side by side in a store. I checked the same stock photos and videos. I honestly couldn’t see a difference at all. Either in colour or resolution. I wasn’t holding them straight to my face just at a normal mid chest height. I really was expecting some mighty difference but couldn’t see anything.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I am guessing the bottom one is XR and top XS, is it? First I thought you are comparing XR and XS Max. Colors on the bottom one looks better, less washed out but the sky and clouds in the top one are more clear.
Was this photo shot using the same phone with HDR using XS or XR? XS HDR screen makes a difference but XR is not bad

View attachment 800369

I know which sky looks more accurate to what I saw when I took the picture.
[doublepost=1541102397][/doublepost] View attachment 800370

Same edits. In fact, it’s a sync’d image.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Receiving my XR later today, will report back. Returned the XS because of color accuracy and color shift issues. I also use LR CC a lot for my fuji raw files. Hoping the XR display has more accurate color reproduction (like my IPP and calibrated iMac 27 5K). Especially found skin tones hopeless on the XS. From in-store testing the colors on the XR screen look more accurate than the XS in that regard.
Let me know what you think. I like the XS but the multi-colors are annoying and I don’t like that i cannot trust the edits on the phone. I do 90% of all my editing on my phone or IPP.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
You said ‘burn ins‘, as in plural with multiple S9’s? Are you referring to burn in on display units for the S9 that you have observed in stores? If so, Those displays naturally overtime will accrue burn in, because they are active displays for over 14 hours a day/seven days a week.
Yup display models. I know they are on all the time but it’s mostly playing stupid videos promoting the phone. The burn ins were of the icons on the home screen. I’m just pointing out that OLED can get burn in, maybe not in normal use.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
So I decided to yesterday make the transition from iPhone XS to iPhone XR and here is my reasons why. I’m either extremely unlucky or Apples quality control has taken a massive hit and spiraled downward into a heap of explosive flames. I have now had 7 iPhone XS replacements, both XS and XS Max. Every single one has had issues and had me literally baffled as to what I should do. Most of them had dead pixels, one had a charging issue beyond the software fix and another that kept dropping calls constantly. ALL of them bar one had scratches and chips in the glass to some degree and I got to a point where I just wanted to give up and accept that perhaps Apples $1800 to $2049 iPhone is just not worth its price.

I then decided to give Apple one more shot with the iPhone XR. After watching and reading many reviews I decided to get the iPhone XR 256gb as I knew LCD was less troublesome and a technology that has a lot more history behind it, I also had the mentality that perhaps being of lesser demand it might not be as “rushed” and therefore not damaged out of the box. Turns out my theory was right or I had a strike of luck! I LOVE my iPhone XR. The display is beautiful and to be holding an LCD that is so uniquely shaped actually feels pretty cool! The colours pop, its sharp and looks super crisp, I am extremely impressed. One of my biggest fears and hates for OLED is the the burn in that will inevitably occur at some point and having to relearn how to use your phone to avoid burn in and be more mindful of how bright the screen is, how long it has been left on for, what types of wallpapers you use and so on and so forth. I felt like I couldn’t enjoy my phone with the iPhone X and XS because of these constant concerns that burn in will occur faster that usual. It turns out that people have already noticed burn in on their iPhone X after about to 10 months of use and these are people that claim they aren’t using the phone for heavily or aren’t power users. I love that with the iPhone XR I don’t have to worry about this and I can just simply enjoy the phone. My iPhone XR also came out of the box pristine which is fantastic! I was so pleased! The battery life is amazing and it really is a great screen size. I feel like I get a premium iPhone experience without the worries and concerns of burn in, dead pixels and other garbage that seems to have plagued the iPhone X, XS and XS Max.

With regards to the plethora of dead pixels that I found on the iPhone XS and XS Max I found them to be the green sub pixel that was the biggest issue. Im not sure why this is but I flicked the phone to a plain white or green screen and on the green image it was extremely noticeable followed by white. I know nothing is perfect but when Apple wants to charge a premium for their top tier iPhones... you expect they wouldn’t come with dead pixels, scratches, chips and other defects out of the box, at least not on a consistent level like I have experienced. In the case of the iPhone XR... well done Apple... I’m impressed and I love it.

I hope this can help someone if they are tossing up whether to choose between the iPhone XS/XS Max and the iPhone XR. The XR is a mixture of innovation and reliability.
So, the XR should've been the premium phone at over $1000 and the XS/XSMax should've been priced below $1000.

Is the burn-in issue like that of plasma t.v.'s? I recall people complaining about burn-in with these flat screen t.v.'s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.