Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I thought the resolution of iPhone Xr was like 720p, which is not acceptable for a product released in late 2018.

We have 4K displays already with 8k displays soon to be widely available.
I’m so tired of hearing this (2018, 1080p blah, blah, blah). Sure, they could have used a 1080p but, they didn’t. There’s nothing wrong with the XR screen. Most people won’t see the difference or care. It’s a beauty.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd be interested in seeing threads or articles with complaints of burn-in on Apples OLED screens that you say is so prolific. I'm in these forums almost daily and I can't remember a single instance.

I basically said the exact same thing you did and I share your thoughts: (The OP started a separate thread on the ‘burn-in’ issues): The Reddit link the OP posted is one thread, which actually has the majority of comments saying they did _not_ experience any type of burn-in, and guaging by Apples relations with Samsungs OLED panels, I think it’s intermittent at best where it’s more of a rarity of those who will suffer any type of image retention.

See my post here based off the OP’s other thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/26753357/

[And being that I’m a regular here, I also can’t recall an instance where other members had image retention’ and in if they did, it’s usually because they were at full brightness, which can cause potential for burn-in. ]

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yup display models. I know they are on all the time but it’s mostly playing stupid videos promoting the phone. The burn ins were of the icons on the home screen. I’m just pointing out that OLED can get burn in, maybe not in normal use.
Well it’s not relevant to us as consumers because we wouldn’t have our screens on for 15 hours a day on the same screen.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
One thing I did get to do yesterday evening was compare a 4K HDR movie from iTunes on my husband’s Max to the same movie running on my Xr. I was surprised to see they matched well in terms of crispness and detail. In fact in scenes where the camera pans or there’s a lot of motion it looks smoother on the Xr.

Where the Xr falls way back is in darkly lit scenes. Blacks look gray and washed out in the xr, while contrast is better in such scenes on the Max. But HDR shows a bit more detail in shadows on the Xr due to contrast being less dramatic and shadows looking less intense. Still, OLED looks miles better in such scenes.

But overall I didn’t lose the clarity and detail I was expecting to lose on the Xr. It also compares well to my 8 plus, though in that comparison I was using movies from Amazon Prime that weren’t 4K HDR.

Well as someone who’s never watched a movie on a smartphone since their inception and will likely never do in the future then for me all this talk of intense blacks on OLED versus LCD is a total non argument.

BTW screen burn in on an OLED smartphone? Another urban myth. I’ve been using my S7 with its AMOLED screen since release and not had a hint of any problems.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well as someone who’s never watched a movie on a smartphone since their inception and will likely never do in the future then for me all this talk of intense blacks on OLED versus LCD is a total non argument.

BTW screen burn in on an OLED smartphone? Another urban myth. I’ve been using my S7 with its AMOLED screen since release and not had a hint of any problems.
I’ve had the original galaxy note, S4, S5 and note 3 before the iPhone X. All had OLED screens and none had burn in issues.

I have 2 iPads but I do watch YouTube videos and and TV episodes on my iPhone sometimes so I prefer to have a good quality screen.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I’ve had the original galaxy note, S4, S5 and note 3 before the iPhone X. All had OLED screens and none had burn in issues.

I have 2 iPads but I do watch YouTube videos and and TV episodes on my iPhone sometimes so I prefer to have a good quality screen.
Being a senior citizen and home most of the time I much prefer the convenience of watching YouTube and the like on my 50 inch Smart TV.

I appreciate not everyone is in my position, so for them having an OLED screen might be something they want. However, I can’t help but note that prior to the release of the iPhone X I never read or heard any comments to the effect that previous iPhone LCD screens were inferior in some way. Now why was that?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Being a senior citizen and home most of the time I much prefer the convenience of watching YouTube and the like on my 50 inch Smart TV.

I appreciate not everyone is in my position, so for them having an OLED screen might be something they want. However, I can’t help but note that prior to the release of the iPhone X I never read or heard any comments to the effect that previous iPhone LCD screens were inferior in some way. Now why was that?
Well it was noted that the displays on Samsung phones were better, largely because they were OLED.

I liked the LCD displays on the old plus iPhones, especially on the 7 plus. They were good enough for me, however I did find the screens on the Samsung flagships to be better. It wasn’t until the 6 plus that I got another iPhone (after the iPhone 4) and one of the big reasons why I was using Samsung phones between 2012-2014 was because they offered larger, higher resolution screens. I’m probably in the minority but screen quality is quite important to me.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
With regards to the plethora of dead pixels that I found on the iPhone XS and XS Max I found them to be the green sub pixel that was the biggest issue. Im not sure why this is but I flicked the phone to a plain white or green screen and on the green image it was extremely noticeable followed by white.
If I recall correctly OLED screens have so many green subpixels, because this color is known for dying more quickly than red and blue. This is an expected behavior of this technology, isn’t it?

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
So they say. But if you check the other threads, some users are still having issues even after the latest update.

Some developers have stated that the LTE issue is completely solved in iOS 12.1.1...but yeah, some people were still having problems even they updated to iOS 12.1.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Some developers have stated that the LTE issue is completely solved in iOS 12.1.1...but yeah, some people were still having problems even they updated to iOS 12.1.
Hope the 12.1.1 truly solves all the connectivity issues that some have been experiencing. For me, I couldn’t take it and moved on.

My 2 Maxes that I returned had issues with WIFI (connected fine but super short range), LTE (just overall terrible connectivity) and Bluetooth (with both headphones and car would have to be re-paired about 20-30% of the time). My old 6S Plus and my new X had/have none of these issues. When I tried to work with Apple, every time they acted all surprised like they never heard of issues before. What was funny was one of the people that I recently spoke to was the exact same one that I personally complained to regarding the first returned phone.

I’m not trying to be a sour puss, I do hope the updates fix the connectivity issues once and for all. I know how frustrating it was to go through the pains of a new phone(s) that doesn’t work as good as your 3 year old one.

Reactions: ferretex

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
Hope the 12.1.1 truly solves all the connectivity issues that some have been experiencing. For me, I couldn’t take it and moved on.

My 2 Maxes that I returned had issues with WIFI (connected fine but super short range), LTE (just overall terrible connectivity) and Bluetooth (with both headphones and car would have to be re-paired about 20-30% of the time). My old 6S Plus and my new X had/have none of these issues. When I tried to work with Apple, every time they acted all surprised like they never heard of issues before. What was funny was one of the people that I recently spoke to was the exact same one that I personally complained to regarding the first returned phone.

I’m not trying to be a sour puss, I do hope the updates fix the connectivity issues once and for all. I know how frustrating it was to go through the pains of a new phone(s) that doesn’t work as good as your 3 year old one.

I feel your pain buddy. I’m totally fine with my XR (Spain) I definitely wish all those issues and bugs are fixed for you and the vast majority of people. It’s a well known issue no matter what their surprise is...even in release notes in iOS 12.1 they state that the update “fixes” bad cellular connectivity and I’ve read people are seeing the issue fixed in iOS 12.1.1 beta 1 (doubling the speeds they originally had and better connectivity-coverage) So let’s wait a bit and see. Cheers.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I thought the resolution of iPhone Xr was like 720p, which is not acceptable for a product released in late 2018.

We have 4K displays already with 8k displays soon to be widely available.

Haha I just love these 8K TVs... your getting sucked right into the spec wars argument and I bet if you look at an 8K TV, it will NOT look massively better then a 4K one.
But then I guess you have fantastic perfect eyesight to say the iPhone XR screen is rubbish? Or you haven’t seen one yet..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.