Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You complainers are ridiculous. This is clearly a niche product. There is always the 13" MacBook and 15" and 17" MacBook Pros available.

They have pretty much covered every possible notebook market. What the hell else do you people want???

:eek: :eek: :eek:

For $1799 this is an absolute bargain compared to the competition.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
More expensive than MacBook &....

-Same size screen
-slower, smaller reg HDD / expensive smaller SSD
-Slower processor
-lack of optical drive
-about same battery life
-could have 1st gen problems
-more expensive

you will be paying for the coolness factor.... i mean what is 1"? just buy MacBook for now

Why is this even a post? All of these statements are pretty damn obvious.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
This clearly is a product that the average consumer WILL NOT BUY. This is clearly directed at those who need a VERY portable system that doesn't weigh much.

It will most likely be purchased by business travelers and those who are on-the-go. Not powerful enough for professionals.

mac.attack9

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
You complainers are ridiculous. This is clearly a niche product. There is always the 13" MacBook and 15" and 17" MacBook Pros available.

They have pretty much covered every possible notebook market. What the hell else do you people want???

What competition??!? The upc market? This is a notebook with a 13 inch screen and 5 hours of battery life hardly a upc. If you upgrade the features the price becomes ridiculous. It has an integrated battery so not only can you not carry a spare (which you would need to because of the ****** battery life). Then theres the issue of durability but I think that there is enough flaws to forgo any more criticism.

Ill save 500 dollars and stick with my macbook.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
What competition??!? The upc market?

Yes... you pay less, get lower battery life, but a larger screen, thinner package, better keyboard, more flexible optical options, gorgeous case, backlit keyboard, Mac OS X and iLife.

In other words, it's an absolute steal at $1799 compared to the competition.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
phew, I don't feel too bad about getting my macbook last december. Mine is made of plastic, is a little thicker, I don't care for multitouch (a right mouse button would've been gold), I don't like staring at the computer screen in complete darkness so I don't really care about lit keyboards (i have a macbook pro and don't care for it. i turn it off to save battery life) The LED screen is nice but gotten used to washed out screen on my macbook.

The Mac Air would've been great if it started at $1000. I don't see why i would spend $1800 for a slower computer for my photoshop needs. I can see this being really good for hardcore hipsters who want to show it off at a local starbucks typing their unoriginal screenplay for everyone else to see. It's definitely a luxury to own one of these but not all that practical for artists or students.

subaqua

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Minneapolis
major dissapointment. impractical laptop.. at first i thought it was cool... but for that amount of money u could get a top of hte line macbook.

Hardly impractical. It's light, small, and perfect for a person who travels alot. If you need a laptop that's a full blown workstation, then get the 17" mbp :)

This would be very nice the next time I'm trying to work behind the person who has their seat pushed all the way back in the airplane :) If my job didn't provide me with a laptop, I'd get one of these in a heartbeat.

I agree though that many people don't see the benefit of an agile laptop and I also agree that they are expensive but with apple, rarely is anything low cost. (except the new mac pros seem to be a pretty good value...)

connectingrodd

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008

This is a niche product that is lacking a niche

alphabetax85

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Lack of functionality - 2oo expensive

Consider this :

No stereo Speakers
Only one USB 2.0
No ethernet port
No firewire port
A 80GB 4200 rpm ATA?? a joke .. no its insane .. n i thought SATA was old
No Optical Drive
No Firewire
Inbuilt - Unremovable Battery .. huh
No Microphone Jack
No Remote ( buy 1 for 19$ ) .. wats wrong with these guys
Super Drive ( External Drive ) for $99
USB Ethernet/Modem for 29/49$ -- they shud give these 4 free

All this comes with a price tag of $1799 .... just for coolness .. so be it
Only good thing is the multitouch trackpad ...... all else is crap 4 the cost

Its Still untested ... I WUD NEVER BUY IT -- no WAY

i missed an MacBookPro Update .. it sucks but ill still wait

Seriously Apple is losing the initiative ... it wants only one thing - making money ... huh 2 bad they want 20$ for the ipod touch software upgrade .. boooo .................wats goin on guys ... wake up steve

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
With Apple's products you pay for the great design and OS. My macbook here is excellent.

But this is too much, the specs for the price are shocking. The design is quite nice but for £100 uk, you can get a MacBook pro which is SO much better.

I take my MacBook to college everyday. Certainly wouldn't say it's such a chore that I need to downgrade my specs to get one which weighs less AND at the same time have to pay money to downgrade.

The cons heavily outway the pro (yes, just one pro).

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
They should have released an 13 inch screen macbook pro!
In black and silver options, optical drive and so on, for the same 1800 dollars.
:)

This is a niche product that is lacking a niche

I think they were trying "blue ocean" here. This is too much (costwise) for a regular MacBook user to consider, and too little (performance wise) for someone considering a MBP.

Those that care about weight/form won't care about price (MBA; $$$), those that care about power won't care about weight(MBP; 5.4 - 6.8 pounds), and those that care about price won't care about power (MB - still a good performer).

Or something. Basically, Apple are looking for the market with lots of money and no real performance needs. The people who will say "oh my that's thin, I'll take five!" they haven't already got wrapped around their finger.

cthomet

macrumors regular
Did I read specs correctly, it says integrated battery, I assume this mean that you cannot change the battery and have a fully charged spare to swap wen needed! That would be bad. Please tell me a misread the information provided by Apple!

you read correctly. you do not have access to the battery. and the ram is soldered to the board. really cool! (pause) not!

as others have said, it is a very cool looking laptop, with minimum functionality for the majority.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007

actaully the people in this thread (complainers, etc) have a clear head, they know a total rip off when they see one even if they are a mac fan boy or an apple lover.

this MBA is just a complete joke, everyone will laugh at the ppl who dish out rediculous amounts of money for sub par garbage.

you read correctly. you do not have access to the battery. and the ram is soldered to the board. really cool! (pause) not!

as others have said, it is a very cool looking laptop, with minimum functionality for the majority.

minimum functionality? more like completly crippled, ONE USB PORT?,

i really never though apple could come a point where they would make a laptop without a removable battery, i can understand MP3 players, shivvered at the thought of a phone without a swappable battery, but a LAPTOP? not even microsoft does stuff like that. you think ms is trying to control everything? just open your eyes to apple.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
This clearly is a product that the average consumer WILL NOT BUY. This is clearly directed at those who need a VERY portable system that doesn't weigh much.

It will most likely be purchased by business travelers and those who are on-the-go. Not powerful enough for professionals.

i dont understand, it aint very portable since the footprint is the same size as the regular MB, a 13" screen is a 13" screen, even if apple made it TWO DIMENTIONAL its still gonna take 13" diag of your space.

beside, professionals should have enough brain capacity to realise even this acer from 2 years ago beats it in funtionality and portability.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2898

it COMES with 2 batteries
it COMES with a DVDRW through firewire connection (you dont need to friggin buy an extra one)
it COMES with a card reader
it COMES with 3 USB Ports!
its only 3.3lbs!
it has a dual core 1.66GHz!!!!!!!! (this is 2 YEARS AGO!)
Bluetooth 2.0 EDR!
ABG WIFI!
Gigabit LAN!
MODEM! (dont use it but still, some ppl use dialup in hotels)

oh BTW when that acer first came out it was only $1500 because i bought it, but then returned it for a 15.4"gaming laptop.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I don't care for multitouch (a right mouse button would've been gold)

Yeah, because placing two fingers on the touchpad and clicking the button is so hard. God, why didn't those idiots add a whole 'nother button?? And yeah, adding functionality (multitouch) is so stupid, what were they thinking? :rolleyes:

I personally will never buy an Air, but the one feature from it I do want on my MBP is that trackpad. I would love to have pinch/expand/rotate gestures.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
Who really cares if it only has one USB port? They came out with this thing, a few years back, it's called a USB hub, they run about $30 and give you 4-6 more USB ports, and they only weight like 8 ounces. My MacBook doesn't have enough USB hubs (it has 2), so whether I have 1 or 2 USB ports really doesn't make much of a difference, I still need a USB hub.

libertyterran

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
In other words, it's an absolute steal at $1799 compared to the competition.
:( Are you serious? :( :( :( :( Please do some homework about "the competition" before putting out such a statement. Yes, the machine is thin, but that's all about it, the rest (incl. the pricey tag) is sub-par when comparing with "the competition"/PC counterparts.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
i really never though apple could come a point where they would make a laptop without a removable battery, i can understand MP3 players, shivvered at the thought of a phone without a swappable battery, but a LAPTOP? not even microsoft does stuff like that. you think ms is trying to control everything? just open your eyes to apple.

MS doesn't really make computer hardware...

It doesn't really bother me. I'm sure there is a way to replace it without sending it to Apple, it's wasn't too hard to replace on an iPod.

Gotta love MacRumors the day after a keynote, it's like the Apocalypse has descended on Apple fans for about a week and half of them can only complain about whatever new product is released.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
What competition??!? The upc market? This is a notebook with a 13 inch screen and 5 hours of battery life hardly a upc. If you upgrade the features the price becomes ridiculous. It has an integrated battery so not only can you not carry a spare (which you would need to because of the ****** battery life). Then theres the issue of durability but I think that there is enough flaws to forgo any more criticism.

Ill save 500 dollars and stick with my macbook.

So you are obviously not aware of the price of the competition nor are you aware of the price of a 64 ssd. OK

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
:( Are you serious? :( :( :( :( Please do some homework about "the competition" before putting out such a statement. Yes, the machine is thin, but that's all about it, the rest (incl. the pricey tag) is sub-par when comparing with "the competition"/PC counterparts.

Like which specific models?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.