Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dolmio

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
A week ago I posted a suggestion that the next iPad Pro would use an M3 Pro chip rather than a regular M3. Thus, if that proves to be true maybe the rumblings were that the iPad Pro wouldn't use the M3 and that's why some jumped to the conclusion that it would have to be the M4.
Doesn’t make sense the M3 is already more than powerful enough for an iPad! The m3 pro has the same neural engine as the m3 so no added benefit there neither . If the strategy focus is on AI needs an upgraded neural engine

Reactions: Chuckeee

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
The M4 rumor started because in a leaked listing a chip identifier changed into one that had never before been seen. It wasn't changed into the M3 Pro identifier.
And who has confirmed that the "leaked" listing is even correct or real? Plus, it's possible that Gurman has heard fragments of information not based upon that supposedly "leaked" document.

Right now it's rumor based upon more rumor and we won't know what's going to happen with the iPad Pro until next week's event.

That said, if it does prove to be a variation on the M3 Pro rather than just the M3 then you probably heard it first here...

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
And who has confirmed that the "leaked" listing is even correct or real? Plus, it's possible that Gurman has heard fragments of information not based upon that supposedly "leaked" document.

Right now it's rumor based upon more rumor and we won't know what's going to happen with the iPad Pro until next week's event.

That said, if it does prove to be a variation on the M3 Pro rather than just the M3 then you probably heard it first here...

Part of the leak was found in iOS 17.5 beta code.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-pro-using-m4.2424153/

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
“data through the keyboard…”

Please explain. My keyboards have always transmitted data, “through” the keys, so…?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Data through the USB-C port. As it stands that port is for power only.

Netrox

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2015
I am sure that Apple is bringing M4 sooner than later due to fixing security vulnerabilities in M1-3 that cannot be patched with software for older chips.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Okay, but all of those conclusions were based purely on conjecture.

I'm not saying that it will definitely be some version of the M3 Pro rather than the M4. Just that I think it's a possibility and it would help explain why Apple decided to downgrade the M3 Pro over what had come before in the M1 Pro and M2 Pro (in terms of performance cores). They may have done that to place more "space" between the Pro and Max but maybe they were also planning on moving the iPad Pro to the "Pro" Apple silicon.

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023

Like it or not that's how the M4 rumor started.

Good luck with your M3 Pro theory, though.

tenthousandthings

Contributor
May 14, 2012
New Haven, CT
I suppose, if we insist there is something new launching and we’re trying to guess what that might be, it could be a new class of dedicated iPad silicon, in between A-series and M-series. T (for tablet) would be the obvious choice but that is probably not an option, even though the old Apple silicon security T-series is extinct. Maybe just start with T3, thereby avoiding confusion with T1 and T2?!

Last edited:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Like I said earlier, I still think the new iPad Pros will use a unique version of the M3 SoC but with a few more CPU and GPU cores, but still lack the AI functionality. That will come with the M4 SoC, which will appear first with the MacBook Pro in M4 Pro and M4 Max versions, then move over to the iPad Pro starting early in 2025.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Okay, but all of those conclusions were based purely on conjecture.

I'm not saying that it will definitely be some version of the M3 Pro rather than the M4. Just that I think it's a possibility and it would help explain why Apple decided to downgrade the M3 Pro over what had come before in the M1 Pro and M2 Pro (in terms of performance cores). They may have done that to place more "space" between the Pro and Max but maybe they were also planning on moving the iPad Pro to the "Pro" Apple silicon.
The M#-Pro chip would be useless in the iPad and that has nothing to do with the OS or apps. Even the MacBook Air has vents in the hinge while the iPad has none and a heat generating screen on one surface. So unless you are pointing a fan at the iPad it would thermally throttle and you could only access the extra power in spurts, but not with sustained tasks.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
My view is the issue with the iPad is that the OS is holding it back. Opening an app slightly quicker is not going to get those who have older iPad Pros to upgrade in any significant way. If they offer some kind of unique and relevant new features that provide some kind of obvious value to consumers, they you will get people like me who are still using a 2018 iPad Pro to upgrade. A faster chip, slightly updated design and slightly better screen will not push me to upgrade and neither will a landscape FaceTime camera.

We will find out in a few days...

woocintosh

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
Hmm... I'm really looking forward to the M4, but I wonder if it will come out next week...
Chip bench performance usually starts leaking a month or two before release, but I haven't seen the M4 bench performance leaked yet.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Something I just thought of; what if it gets A17 Max or something, instead of M3 or M4?

That way, the A-series and M-series mirror each other, each with a base, a Pro, and a Max variant.

Reactions: Torty

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Question: do you think that, with the OLED and FaceID differentiator for the iPad Pro, the iPad Air could also get the M4 chip?

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more logical I see it.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Something I just thought of; what if it gets A17 Max or something, instead of M3 or M4?

That way, the A-series and M-series mirror each other, each with a base, a Pro, and a Max variant.
The M3 is basically the A17X if you want to look at it that way. The X/Z chips weren't worth developing on top once the M series came along and took their place.

Reactions: Chuckeee

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
I am sure that Apple is bringing M4 sooner than later due to fixing security vulnerabilities in M1-3 that cannot be patched with software for older chips.
This was not in fact the case:

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013

I also wrote that somewhere else. It would also fit to the Chip ID:

A14: T8101 -> M1: T8103 (based on A14)
A15: T8110 -> M2: T8112 (based on A15)
A16: T8120 -> M3: T8122 (hybrid: CPU and GPU based on A17, NPU based on A16)
A17: T8130 -> M4/A17Max: T8132 (based on A17)

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
It might actually make a lot of sense to start an M* generation on the iPad, especially as they move to new/smaller processes. Usually the yields are lower when they start production, and on the iPad they could bin the chips.

However, I'd imagine if the M4 is coming to the iPad next week, we will see MacBook Pros with it very soon.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
A17: T8130 -> M4/A17Max: T8132 (based on A17)

Not to mention that, by naming the M3 Refresh chip A17 Max, they save the M4 name for their new architecture.

I can see Apple wanting to keep name and architecture confusion to a minimum (Clickbait in late-may 2024, "Is M4 actually new?").

Reactions: Torty

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Not to mention that, by naming the M3 Refresh chip A17 Max, they save the M4 name for their new architecture.

I can see Apple wanting to keep name and architecture confusion to a minimum (Clickbait in late-may 2024, "Is M4 actually new?").
Good point.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
related

This is conjecture to what could be grounds of this occurring. The following points are made:
  • iPad Pro volumes are low
  • iPad sales need a big boost
  • Apple needs an AI-ready device before WWDC
  • Devs will need AI hardware before the fall
  • An M3 iPad Pro would be poorly timed
Even though this conjecture is based on some valid reasons, the hardware without corresponding operating system improvements that shows off its capabilities will be absent for months.

Apple is also today after the bell is suppose to announce its earnings.

Analysts are expecting low sales figures for the quarter ending March 31 – despite the company beating expectations in the last four quarters.
This will be its first earnings report since the launch of its biggest new product in years, its $3,499 mixed reality Vision Pro headset. Apple spent about $100 billion in research and development on the device, according to a recent analysis.
Most recently, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo posted an updated forecast for the headset, stating production was being cut by several hundred thousand units.
Apple has not yet sent a strong message about artificial intelligence at a time when many tech companies are doubling down on related strategies and features. But rumors indicate the company will introduce new AI-powered tools at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June.
Apple is holding a press event next week where it’s largely expected to introduce updates to its iPad lineup and related accessories. It’s unclear if its next-generation iPadOS software, also set to be unveiled in June, will include AI-powered tools, too.
This is a very challenging time for Apple to say the least. Besides all the questions about marketing/boosting sales of its iPads its has yet to display really any progress with desktop Macs yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert and Populus

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
related

This is conjecture to what could be grounds of this occurring. The following points are made:
  • iPad Pro volumes are low
  • iPad sales need a big boost
  • Apple needs an AI-ready device before WWDC
  • Devs will need AI hardware before the fall
  • An M3 iPad Pro would be poorly timed
Even though they reason well, the hardware without operating system software that shows off its capabilities will be absent for months.

Apple is also today after the bell is suppose to announce its earnings
Ipad Pro sales would get a boost but it would hurt Mac sales. I think I am not alone with the thought that we will see new Macs quickly with M4 after the ipad got it. Not a good deal IMO. If it gets the A17 Max or a new ipad SOC like "S1" it would't hurt the Mac sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.