Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
So is everyone now ready to dump on Apple if it isn’t an M4 chip?

No one who ever used a phone with an A..X chip complained it wasnt different and better.

This could be an M3X or M3AI. Is that a fail in anyone’s eyes?

Whatever, it will be up to the task it’s being given as even M2 chips are good.

Because it’s not ai powered if not m4. We need the ai. We need the power. If it wasn’t a computer before , AI will make it a super ai powered computer. No longer will we hear how bad iPad os is. It’s gonna have AI. Don’t you understand? It’s all about the AIs.

Reactions: mango316

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
For a crazy possibility, how about an M4 iPad powerful enough to virtualize macOS inside a container and stream that Mac's display to an AppleTV or external monitor, while leaving the iPad displaying iPadOS.

• Haha
Reactions: mango316

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Who actually needs iPads, people without computers? What function will the M4 facilitate that makes it a must have in an iPad? I can see if they want to run Mac OS as an app on it on top of iOS. That would be cool. But if not for that, what is the compelling reason to spend over $1,000 on an iPad these days?
You do really that Apple sells basically the same dollars of iPads as of Macs?
And since iPads cost less on average, they sell more iPads.

You're allowed to not want an iPad for your own use.
You're NOT allowed to pretend that it's some bizarre weirdo item of no serious interest to either Apple or many many customers.

• Love
Reactions: agoodpub and xbjllb

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Not quite

Apple will still be making M3 MacBook Airs and M3 iMac through at least October and potentially into 2025. The number of M3 chips required for that continued production run will be many times greater than total iPad Pro sales.
If it takes 4 months to etch the chip, then M3 that TSMC is making in May will be ready for to Apple to use in November.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Because it’s not ai powered if not m4. We need the ai. We need the power. If it wasn’t a computer before , AI will make it a super ai powered computer. No longer will we hear how bad iPad os is. It’s gonna have AI. Don’t you understand? It’s all about the AIs.
Well a different chip labelled M3X could easily be AI powered and not cause issues. Building expectations this is a 4 will lead to disappointment if it isn’t. It also clouds the whole “why are iPads getting it first?” And risks people picking an iPad instead of a MacBook.

Of course if iPads do get even some sort of MacOS mode, it is going to cut laptop sales.

Going to be interesting to see what comes out at this event…

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
For a crazy possibility, how about an M4 iPad powerful enough to virtualize macOS inside a container and stream that Mac's display to an AppleTV or external monitor, while leaving the iPad displaying iPadOS.
With a battery life like Vision Pro? :)

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
You do really that Apple sells basically the same dollars of iPads as of Macs?
And since iPads cost less on average, they sell more iPads.

You're allowed to not want an iPad for your own use.
You're NOT allowed to pretend that it's some bizarre weirdo item of no serious interest to either Apple or many many customers.
To be fair, we don’t know how much of that is iPad Pro, which I am guessing was the center of that argument. But, I personally believe that the use cases are usually not much different, the Pro is just mostly bought by people who are happy to pay extra for a nicer version.

Reactions: andrewsyd

tenthousandthings

Contributor
May 14, 2012
New Haven, CT
1: “Various sources” could be wrong. Why would an M3 “not do AI”, and if so, what the hell is Neural Engine?

2: It might have something different from M3, but not M4.
I liked the A17 Max idea, but that doesn’t mean it’s likely. It will be M3. The focus will be on OLED, as it should be. I hope Apple will say something useful about the M3’s neural engine, just to tamp down the basic misconception embodied in the comment you replied to.

If M4 were coming in iPad Pro, they would launch it at WWDC. There are a host of questions that arise with that, many involving what it would mean for iPadOS. Not to mention OpenELM and the mysterious Ajax LLM. The idea that Apple would launch M4 and unveil the next iPadOS with AI features in the context of a product launch is extremely unlikely.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
There seem to be certain people who predict stuff to build up hope and when it doesn’t t happen, people are disappointed. And sometimes share price drops.

Most of the analysts are working for share markets.

It’s in their interest to hype and manipulate share price.

No matter what processor or variant is used, the new iPad devices will be faster and better and able to do new things. The AI stuff keeps getting mention by Apple so that’s a fair bet something is brewing and Siri has long been a bone of contention and underwhelming most of the time. It’s due some new smarts.

Reactions: Chuckeee

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Was not expecting it initially but now I think it is a real possibility.
So people have hyped it and you want it.
Lower expectations and you won’t be disappointed.

Apple just made massive profits.
Whatever they are doing in difficult times is working.
They aren’t a one product company.
Whatever comes this week fits the whole scheme of products.

tenthousandthings

Contributor
May 14, 2012
New Haven, CT
I liked the A17 Max idea, but that doesn’t mean it’s likely. It will be M3. The focus will be on OLED, as it should be. I hope Apple will say something useful about the M3’s neural engine, just to tamp down the basic misconception embodied in the comment you replied to.

If M4 were coming in iPad Pro, they would launch it at WWDC. There are a host of questions that arise with that, many involving what it would mean for iPadOS. Not to mention OpenELM and the mysterious Ajax LLM. The idea that Apple would launch M4 and unveil the next iPadOS with AI features in the context of a product launch is extremely unlikely.
Seems like the deciding factor was the need for "Tandem OLED" display support. M3 can't do that, so Apple made new silicon that can. I didn't factor that in, so live and learn. Will need to remember that lesson for future display-technology advances in other products...

prombough

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2014
Montreal
I've called it elsewhere already, but I am predicting that "Let Loose" is not referring to speed but to them finally enabling Mac OS on an extremely powerful iPad (M4 or M3X). I know, I know, it's wishful thinking. But if I am right I can come back and gloat. If I am wrong... well, I probably won't remember by then anyway. (I am still laughing at the other commenters remark about taking it with a "Grain of Gurman" ... especially how that sounds to a French Canadian! LOL.)
New iPads today, same iPad OS. Now I am sad again ... Oh, well, there's always June.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.