Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Don’t forget @Jamie I ‘s post that showed some naming patterns that indicate the M4 chip in the iPad Pros.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
M4 Chip on the iPad Pro first sounds very weird...

Shouldn't it come to the Mac first?
So should I not get an M3 MacBook Air after all? I was so close to buying one, but now I want to wait for M4 to get the longest longevity. If it has the M3 chip, then I will continue to get my M3 Air.

Reactions: JDHiro and Torty

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
"across the entire line"

"No wait, not on the big ones until next year"

"on the iPads means moving quicker...."

But hey, if we didn't like being jacked around like the first swimmer in "Jaws", we wouldn't be here, would we. :p

• Haha
Reactions: The Apple Bitch

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

So should I not get an M3 MacBook Air after all? I was so close to buying one, but now I want to wait for M4 to get the longest longevity. If it has the M3 chip, then I will continue to get my M3 Air.
is not about M4 ipad or mac first...its about that Apple until now, introduced the new SoC arhitec with their main device, the iphone
So i still think iphone pro will be the first N3E device

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

this is about the ipad pro and not macbook air...so no matter what if its M3 or M4 into the ipad....the next macbook air will be M4 and the release date is not affected by the ipad SoC

gonidog

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2017
I'm leaning towards yes. Why? Because of the little talked about zero day exploit that is built into the M1, M2 and M3 chips. Apple's move to M4 is to avoid the exploit. Regardless, it should be a fun event.

nicholsi00

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024

While Apple's upcoming iPad Pro models have been expected to feature the M3 chip for over a year, recent reports have unexpectedly suggested that the new devices will instead feature the as-yet-unannounced M4 chip.

M4-AI-Optimized-Feature-Teal.jpg

Last week, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that he now believes there is a "strong possibility" that the upcoming iPad Pro models will be equipped with Apple's next-generation M4 chip, rather than the M3 chip that debuted in the MacBook Pro and iMac six months ago. He said a key new feature of the M4 chip will be an upgraded Neural Engine that boosts performance for AI tasks, and he believes Apple will market the next iPad Pro as an AI-powered device.

Introducing the M4 chip in an iPad and only six months after the previous chip generation would be unprecedented moves. Yet this is not the first time that the new iPad Pro models have been rumored to feature the M4 chip. In March, the chip details of 16 new Apple devices were revealed by a source with a proven track record of sharing accurate information about Apple's plans.

The disclosed technical information contained four identifiers for an unreleased chip that relates to the upcoming 11- and 13-inch iPad Pro models display sizes. This sequence of identifiers suggested that the iPad Pro will contain the M4 chip, rather than the M3. With Gurman now supporting this possibility and the potential of an AI focus, it seems like an increasingly likely eventuality.

If Apple does introduce the M4 chip in the new iPad Pro, its Apple silicon roadmap would appear to be moving faster than expected. It is possible that TSMC's N3E production volume remains low, making it more suitable for a device like the iPad rather than the iPhone or Mac at this point in time.

Apple is expected to announce the new iPad Pro models at its "Let Loose" event on May 7. Do you think the new iPad Pro will contain the M4 chip and why? Let us know what you think in the comments.

Article Link: Will the New iPad Pro Really Have the M4 Chip?
"Let Loose"... of your wallets!

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I don’t understand it. The MacBook Air with M3 just came out and we already have the M4? How often does Apple release new chips?

Well, when you have a hardware security flaw that releases encryption keys to hackers (under the right circumstances), you need to release a new chip PDQ.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we also got new M4 Mac Studios and Minis. (Mac Pros will be in other 3 years or so…)

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
It would make sense if they have the chips ready and they don't want to update it for a long time. If they use a next-gen chip they can leave it for a couple of years and it will have the resources for whatever AI updates occur during that period. They could also use it to help justify whatever ungodly price is coming our way.

Reactions: Biro and Jovijoker

prombough

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2014
Montreal
I've called it elsewhere already, but I am predicting that "Let Loose" is not referring to speed but to them finally enabling Mac OS on an extremely powerful iPad (M4 or M3X). I know, I know, it's wishful thinking. But if I am right I can come back and gloat. If I am wrong... well, I probably won't remember by then anyway. (I am still laughing at the other commenters remark about taking it with a "Grain of Gurman" ... especially how that sounds to a French Canadian! LOL.)

Plerf

macrumors member
May 28, 2014
I feel like any reasonable improvement to the basic chip now gets a new number.

In the past they would have been like, ok this is the M3 family and this variant is the M3[random letter or ‘+’]. The next one will be M4.

Now it’s just: is it new in some way? Slap a new number on it! So the “M4” is really just a variant M3, and what would have been the M4 is now the M5.

I feel this is what happened with the M1 and M2.

Also please note, I have no idea what I’m talking about.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I've called it elsewhere already, but I am predicting that "Let Loose" is not referring to speed but to them finally enabling Mac OS on an extremely powerful iPad (M4 or M3X). I know, I know, it's wishful thinking. But if I am right I can come back and gloat. If I am wrong... well, I probably won't remember by then anyway. (I am still laughing at the other commenters remark about taking it with a "Grain of Gurman" ... especially how that sounds to a French Canadian! LOL.)

It could be that “Let Loose” is referring to your encryption keys… :)

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
imho opinion it doesn't make sense to equip an iPad Pro with the next gen M chip before the Macs, from what I red here a lot iPadOS is so "crippled", why does it need it? and since "AI features" are not going to be released til the fall ...
maybe it will be the N3E process but I would guess Apple might call it something else than M4 ...

but whatever, now that the hype is built up, if it doesn't get released with the M4 there will be so many complaints here on MR ...

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m assuming the next iPad Pro is coming with the M4 SoC. That’s out of question for me.

What I’m really curious about, is wether this new chip will be only improved on its neural engine, or the CPU and GPU cores will also be greatly improved with a whole new architecture and much better IPC.

Reactions: AlexMac89

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Does it make more sense for the iPad PRO to get an older chip or a "cutting edge" chip? Granted this may be mostly nomenclature, but I would not be surprised to see the iPad PRO getting an M4. And then the MacBook Pro getting an M4 Pro/M4 Max in the Fall. The iPad Air could then get a base M3. This would thus make the chips connect to device families: M3: MacBook Air, iPad Air ; M4: MacBook Pro, iPad Pro. The base iPad would use an iPhone chip. By following a scheme like this, it would simplify the logic of the devices.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
If Apple is planning something to that extent, I would expect it to be shown at WWDC

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I don't even know what chip my current iPad has and it works great..
To be fair, my old iPhone 8 is still around the house, and it’s physically identical to my current SE 3. The other day I grabbed it and I barely noticed differences, aside from the battery life and maybe a slight difference in animation smoothness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.