Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I hope so. I like my iPhone 11 and it will certainly get me through another year, but I am hoping to upgrade to the 15PM IF my eyes can tolerate the OLED display (PWM & dithering). I want the biggest display I can get as I basically use my phone like a mini tablet. I've been unable to use any OLED iPhone so every single year since the X I live in the hope that "this is the year"! The anticipation during September is a fever pitch for me.

naturalguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2018
I usually upgrade every year just to have the latest but from what I am seeing so far there is no rush to do it, nothing is really notable at least by the leaks. USB-C in the long run will be more convenient but in the short term I’d have to change cables again.

Reactions: ibookemo

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Same boat as op. On 12 pro max. Prior to that i was a yearly upgrader. I will definitely be upgrading this year.

Reactions: gtmac

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
I have a XS Max, planning on upgrading to the 15 pro. Potentially the 14 if I think USB-C will be too much of a hassle.

Phone is in great shape, just the comms are terrible. LTE disconnects constantly, wifi is up and down. Nothing wrong with the processor or screen, it’s the “internet communication device“ aspect that is failing.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
The titanium frame isn’t a huge deal, usb-c isn’t either. I usually upgrade only for the camera. That’s all I care about on an iPhone, how well does it capture imagery. The 14 pro max I have already has a great camera, the 15 pro will still be 48mp but with a slightly (20% or so) larger sensor. The other two cameras are still going to use lame 12mp sensors. Well that’s not good enough. They need to be increased to 24mp at a minimum for any real use. So, I’ll probably wait this one out.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
I won't be upgrading...I only got my iPhone 13 in April direct from Apple 🙂

Lately, I'm not excited by new iPhone releases like I used to be. I replace my devices when I fancy a change.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I have a 13 and undecided if I’ll get a new phone in the next year. If I do I’m not sure if I’ll stay with Apple or switch back to Android. A lot has to do with the next iPhones. I don’t want another phone with flat sides thus having the back edges dig into my hands, and the weight (I don’t like heavy phones).

kanga1622

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
We will be trading in a 12 with a crappy battery for a 15 or 15 Plus. Hubby will pass down his 13 to our son and enjoy a new 15 model.

Other son plans to stick with his 12 as his battery is in much better shape and my 13 is going strong. Maybe when the 16 comes out we will play iPhone merry go round..... With 5 lines on our account we seem to pick up 1-2 phones a year and usually keep each for 3-4 years.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m in the same boat as @jimmy_uk.
Am waiting patiently for an iPhone screen that doesn’t thrash my nervous system. The 6S was the last iPhone I could use without being tortured by some sort of display flickering or another.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Ok
I own my own cameras and rarely use my phone as one. If the update isn't more than that (as in the 14), I'll be sticking with my 13.
same here. I have the Sony A7RV and three amazing lenses. My iPhone 14 Pro max does well when needed. I often push the boundaries on the camera to duplicate what I get on my Sony with lighting and difficult shooting scenarios

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
No. Full screen will convince me. dynamic island is a gimmick feature. usbc doesn’t sell me either. Sticking with my iP12 Pro.

• Haha
Reactions: opiapr

Clamjuice65

Suspended
Feb 27, 2023
I have a XS Max, planning on upgrading to the 15 pro. Potentially the 14 if I think USB-C will be too much of a hassle.

Phone is in great shape, just the comms are terrible. LTE disconnects constantly, wifi is up and down. Nothing wrong with the processor or screen, it’s the “internet communication device“ aspect that is failing.
That Intel mode is what causing your Comm issues

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
I've got a 14 Pro, debated about upgrading but was going to see what the upgrades were, and looking at it thinner bezels aint enough of a justification for me unless Apple surprise us with something that hasn't been leaked - pretty much impossible to do in this day and age

I feel like I'm one of the very few people that doesn't really care for USB-C and actually enjoy lightning cables, so I'm going to give the 15 a miss and see what happens next year

14 Pro is still a fantastic device

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
My 8+ is on its last legs, but I’m torn btw upgrading to the 15 or just getting the cheapest refurb option (iPhone 11)… which has the benefit of LCD display but not much else other than price ($379 vs. $799 or whatever the 15 will cost).

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Perhaps not upgrading immediately this year. I’d like to see some reviews first, mostly to find out if the cameras have gotten much better. If the updates are not so big then I’ll stick with my 14 ProMax.

The phones are getting pretty expensive, especially when I opt for the 1TB storage option. This makes me pause a little. I’m actually hoping that the updates are actually minor so I can save €2k this year.

Reactions: BlackBetty380

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I am not upgrading. Since 2013, my average upgrade cycle was 3 years. I will probably shift to 4-5 years, which by that time the old phone may be worn out. I will replace the battery after 2 years, if needed. I don’t see the reason anymore to upgrade more often than 4 years anymore. The cameras are already good enough for me, the upgrades are more and more IMO are there for the sake of upgrading. IPhones are now a mature product. I last upgraded 2 yrs ago. Even many of the new iOS features seem to add complexity and unwanted features for the sake of adding them. The phones are getting bigger and more expensive. Going forward, I am going to be more resistent to upgrading my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.