Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Well if under display Face ID comes with the new larger display (iPhone 16) then I’m holding on to my 14PM this year.

The rumor for the iPhone 16 has more credence as the display will be overhauled completely next year.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Well if under display Face ID comes with the new larger display (iPhone 16) then I’m holding on to my 14PM this year.

The rumor for the iPhone 16 has more credence as the display will be overhauled completely next year.

FaceID isn't supposed to go under the display until 2025/iPhone 17.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No, probably won't upgrade. Too much of an S-year.

iPhone 16 Pro/Max will get a larger display, but not the under display Face ID. What I really want is a folding iPhone though.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013

That’s just an article speculating though that it could come with iPhone 16 though.

The original rumor that the iPhone 16 would have under-display FaceID came from Ross Young (one of the most credible Apple leakers and specifically a display analyst) in 2022. But he updated his roadmap earlier this year to push the under-display FaceID back to the iPhone 17: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/04/03/under-display-face-id-to-debut-on-iphone-17-pro/

I mean, either rumor could be wrong, which is why it’s a rumor. But I just didn’t want you to bank on upgrading next year due to the under display FaceID if it really doesn’t come then. In my opinion, Apple is more likely to get people to upgrade more frequently if it can split the features up (larger displays, under-display FaceID) between two separate model years anyways.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Upgrading five phones from iPhone 11. Unsure if we all get base 15 or what; we will see. Love my green 11 but it's certainly aging. At the very least it needs a new battery. Most excited for usbc. Been a long time coming.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
That’s just an article speculating though that it could come with iPhone 16 though.

The original rumor that the iPhone 16 would have under-display FaceID came from Ross Young (one of the most credible Apple leakers and specifically a display analyst) in 2022. But he updated his roadmap earlier this year to push the under-display FaceID back to the iPhone 17: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/04/03/under-display-face-id-to-debut-on-iphone-17-pro/

I mean, either rumor could be wrong, which is why it’s a rumor. But I just didn’t want you to bank on upgrading next year due to the under display FaceID if it really doesn’t come then. In my opinion, Apple is more likely to get people to upgrade more frequently if it can split the features up (larger displays, under-display FaceID) between two separate model years anyways.

I’m not banking on it.

Two things: Cook may soon be gone as CEO. Innovation may be back quicker than you think. Think foldable in three years. The under screen face ID therefore has to be pushed out fast!

Leafs1201

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2021
I can't wait to get the 15 Pro Max, traded the 12 Pro Max in March and went back to android with S23 Ultra and whilst is an amazing phone it just doesn't feel the one for me and I'm yearning to get back to Apple.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Nope I’m getting the galaxy zfold5. I’ll be back though but when  finally ups the battery life on the watch which seems like it’ll be never cause they’ve had 9 years to do it.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021

iPhone 16 Pro/Max will get a larger display, but not the under display Face ID. What I really want is a folding iPhone though.

You may get your wish soon.

Courtesy of Sir Jonathan Paul Ive

Reactions: 28ffmimi

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

I’ve seen the galaxy fold and I don’t like it. You probably won’t either. There is always a crease (indentation) on the screen that will always be there where the unit folds. It’s a distraction. The screen doesn’t open and lay flat without a crease. So expect the folding iPhone (if one gets announced) to also have a crease where the screen folds right down the middle. If opened in very cold weather, it will most likely crack, I read that somewhere as described in a news article regarding one of the galaxy folding phones. Hopefully apple won’t develop one, I know some want one, but y’all are in the minority. The folding phones are twice as thick and twice as heavy, and we know by reading these threads that so many complain about how heavy the existing iPhones are. Just imagine that ten fold.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Will you be upgrading to the new iPhone 15 based on the current leaks?

I’m currently an iPhone 12 user and I skipped 13 and 14 just because I love how purple the iPhone 12 is 😭
No. Unless something happens to my 12 pro. if the 15 series had sims like the 13 probably

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY

I’m currently an iPhone 12 user and I skipped 13 and 14 just because I love how purple the iPhone 12 is 😭
If it has a feature I want/need, then I’ll upgrade to it. Otherwise, I’m perfectly happy with my 14 Pro. One of the main reasons I still don’t have my 12 mini was because the screen was just too small for my eyes, too much strain in them.

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
I've got a 14 Pro, debated about upgrading but was going to see what the upgrades were, and looking at it thinner bezels aint enough of a justification for me unless Apple surprise us with something that hasn't been leaked - pretty much impossible to do in this day and age

I feel like I'm one of the very few people that doesn't really care for USB-C and actually enjoy lightning cables, so I'm going to give the 15 a miss and see what happens next year

14 Pro is still a fantastic device
Just like you, I am waiting for a good feature for the iPhone 15 Pro that would convince me to upgrade from my iPhone 13 Pro. It also depends on the specifications of the iPhone 15 Pro and lastly, if some features or specs will be exclusively available on the 15 Pro Max then I will be waiting for another year. For me, the size of the iPhone 13 Pro, 14 Pro is good enough. The iPhone 15 Pro shouldn't be bigger than the iPhone 13, 14 Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: wba1990

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Nope. My 11 Pro Max is still fine, although will see what happens when the 16 comes out, and maybe pick up a refurbed 14 or 15 PM then, mainly for the camera resolution bump. Would love to lose the lightning cable but I usually charge wirelessly, so not really a big deal.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m on the fence now. At first I was going to upgrade every 2 years, but every time we get close to September, I always end up undecided. Now I’m going to wait for the keynote and decide from there.

Reactions: Apple.Fanatic

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I’m on the fence now. At first I was going to upgrade every 2 years, but every time we get close to September, I always end up undecided. Now I’m going to wait for the keynote and decide from there.
I’ve been to those keynote live events and after all the bitching about lack of innovation - people upgrade anyway.

Well, maybe not the Apple Watch before the ultra. 🤣

Changes may be coming to Apple soon, and the silence, but not objection to change, is very telling… 😁

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
I hope so. I like my iPhone 11 and it will certainly get me through another year, but I am hoping to upgrade to the 15PM IF my eyes can tolerate the OLED display (PWM & dithering). I want the biggest display I can get as I basically use my phone like a mini tablet. I've been unable to use any OLED iPhone so every single year since the X I live in the hope that "this is the year"! The anticipation during September is a fever pitch for me.
13pro max did not give me a pwm headache hopefully not stuck with this phone forever

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
Nope. My 14 pro 256gb is only 5 months old and I got it for $1KAUD new, retail here is $1899AUD.
Had the 12 and 13 max before and not interested in going that size again.
I use magsafe at home/office and Brodit magsafe car holder with wireless CarPlay.
Couldn't care less about usb-c.

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I don't think I'll upgrade, I am usually upgrading on a two years cycle and I got the 14PM last year. Also, the only feature I'm really excited about is the USB-C port, but this feature alone is not enough to upgrade this year.

Apple.Fanatic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
I own the iPhone 13 Pro and likely a no for me. These slow updates Apple does now is making it difficult to justify updating every year or two. The sweet spot is now 3-4 years where the combined updates over that period of time start to justify it.

Reactions: Malcster

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

iPhones are getting too big for my tastes. I'm currently using an iPhone 13 mini and will only upgrade if there's a new mini or other device that is suitable to comfortable one-handed operation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.