Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you be turned off by the iPhone 7 if it lacked a 3.5mm Jack

• Yes I would be turned off!

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • No, I can live with out it

Votes: 43 59.7%

• Total voters

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
One more reason to buy +
Some of the sites are even saying 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM… I do not believe that will happen. And interestingly, last year there was not a single word about increase to 2GB RAM in the keynote address. And in nothing on their official specs at the website either. I found it interesting they wouldn't push that issue and let the consumer know.

DadBod630

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
Some of the sites are even saying 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM… I do not believe that will happen. And interestingly, last year there was not a single word about increase to 2GB RAM in the keynote address. And in nothing on their official specs at the website either. I found it interesting they wouldn't push that issue and let the consumer know.

Apple would not waste keynote time discussing specs when 99% of people only care about how well the phone runs Facebook and Instagram.

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
Apple would not waste keynote time discussing specs when 99% of people only care about how well the phone runs Facebook and Instagram.
No way.. The vast majority of the keynote address live audience is made up of app developers and high-level tech people. :)

The "key notes" are at a developer's conference when they happen. It ain't the PokémonGo crowd out there.. Lol

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

Apple never mentions or discusses the amount of RAM in their iPhones and iPads. It's always been that way and I doubt that will change.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Just curious how many people really care about losing antiquated technology in a more visible way. For the average person using budget headphones the cost to give them up and use the included Lightning headphones is practically zero, while audiophiles with beloved pairs of headphones can cope with the adapter. Alternatively considering how audiophiles spend a respectable amount on gear in a year, it should be an exciting proposal to find a suitable Lightning or wireless pair of headphones.

From a marketing standpoint I still believe Apple can and should market this as a high-fidelity play, adding lossless music to iTunes/Apple Music, developing a lossless wireless protocol, and pushing for audiophile-grade Lightning headphones.

This is like the death of the floppy drive, people.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Wireless everything is inevitable. But my gear isn't there yet. And I'd prefer not to deal with adapters in the mean time. We'll see what Apple brings to the table. I'm thinking I'll get a discounted 6s and hold out as long as possible. Alternatively, I'll hold out for at least one more year and get the 8. I'm not completely ruling out the 7 but I think it's unlikely I'll buy one.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Its the single deciding factor, for me. I use some Bluetooth audio applications, but there are still many things that I use the 3.5mm jack to accomplish. I'm upgrading my 6 to either an SE or 6S and keeping that for another 2-3 years, then I'll see what's going on.

electorate

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Both of my most used headphones and earphones are bluetooth already so it doesn't bother me really, but I know plenty of people who aren't that concerned with tech who have heard the rumours and complained already

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
For me not,i don't use headphones while charging the device,and if it came with wireless Charing than what's problem i can charge the device while using headphones

mjwebb

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2016
Arizona
Personally I love Apple's headphones so if they end up making them lightning compatible, I'll be a happy camper! Might even go for the airPods if they are available as well. Definitely excited for 10am!

ajcgn

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Old technology sucks!

4806647079_72142ba2ac_b.jpg

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Dunno, still undecided. They replace the 3.5 jack with a fake speaker mesh. Looks ugly imo. The leaks says it'll still have stereo speakers though, (earpiece + 1 on bottom). :confused:

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Probably will be a deal breaker for me. I use headsets frequently to listen to music and podcasts. Often enough when those times come around usually it wouldn't hurt to give my phone a charge at the same time. I have nice investments in 3.5mm equipped sets I don't plan to replace, and I'm not fond of the idea of having to remember to bring an adapter. I also worry about the durability of that adapter considering how many lighting cables I have gone through as Apples adapters are never cheap to replace. I may hold onto my 6 for a year and see if next years redesign lures me back in. Though I can see myself giving the new Pixel/Nexus devices a try.

blco02

Suspended
Jul 11, 2008
Realistically, no it won't. Sure I charge my phone sometimes while listening to headphones, maybe once or twice a week. It's not a big deal. For me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It won't affect me. Yes, I have investments like everyone else with wired headphones. But I appreciate and understand where Apple is headed. Bring the future. I'm ready.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I'll be skipping the 7, not only because of the headphone jack, but other reasons as well.

I'm simply not ready to move on from a headphone jack. My car has Bluetooth calling but not Bluetooth audio. I use my headphone jack in the car every day for commuting.

I also happen to be very, very happy with my 6s.

Also don't have another $800 to shell out for another phone.

All that said I'm looking forward to the iPhone event and seeing what they bring to the table.

I'm also very much looking forward to iOS 10.

lukefinch1

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
South Yorkshire, England
As long as they have an adapter, it is not a problem for me.

I have never tried to charge my phone and listen to music at the same time anywhere other than in my car and I can use bluetooth for that anyway.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Not being able to use my headphones in the first gen iPhone was a big reason for not buying it, so it will be a big reason for me not buying the iPhone 7.

I would rather have just one pair of headphones for everything, rather than needing a set of wired and a set of wireless.

In the same way the 3GS then allowed the standard 3.5mm jack, maybe (although I doubt it) the 7S will reinstate the socket.

Reactions: douglasf13

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Never have used the headphone jack. If I need to use headphones, I use Bluetooth.

So, yeah, it wouldn't be a deciding factor either way for me. And as an aside -- can't believe this day is *finally* here!

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
Never have used the headphone jack. If I need to use headphones, I use Bluetooth.

So, yeah, it wouldn't be a deciding factor either way for me. And as an aside -- can't believe this day is *finally* here!
You haven't been happy with your 6S/6SPlus/SE? They are great phones! I really haven't felt like I was missing anything this year!

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
You haven't been happy with your 6S/6SPlus/SE? They are great phones! I really haven't felt like I was missing anything this year!

I am happy with my iPhone 6. I was just remarking that finally we get to see what specs the iPhone 7/7+ the device will actually have (instead of speculation and supposed leaked info about it). I am generally positive with the new features. And do like the black too.

But it's not enough for me to make the leap. As long as my iPhone 6 continues to work just fine, I will hold onto it. At least for another year. That's just me tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.