Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you be turned off by the iPhone 7 if it lacked a 3.5mm Jack

• Yes I would be turned off!

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • No, I can live with out it

Votes: 43 59.7%

• Total voters

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Well, I just spent $300 on Bose QC 20 headphones and they're terrific. I would rather use them than have the opportunity to take a shower with my iPhone!

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I don't know about the last part, but specifically regarding this, I'm totally with you. I'm really tempted to sell my shares before the announcement for this, because I think there will be a lot of doom and gloom, and rightfully so. The next model will sell terribly without the headphone jack, unless there is some super-compelling new feature, and stereo sound is not it.

I too am debating dumping my Apple shares as this is not only a heavy handed move but it shows me that Apple is losing touch on what is right for customers. This is not like the lightning connector, that was a logical improvement.

As a power user of wireless buds, headphones, I will say that they have their place. But leave one in a drawer for a while and its batteries often are shot, so people will have to maintain yet another battery device. Not to mention the random disconnects that always plague Bluetooth.

Also, the headphone jack is useable for more than just headphones. There are credit card readers, external microphones (great for conversation recording while flying in small planes and heli's, pop a small mic into a headset ear muff). I have a great wind meter that uses the headphone jack. So just because you may be a simple person (or complex person with simple needs) who doesn't use the jack, millions of others use that jack every day.

Flying in a jet, it's nice to use your noise cancelling headphones and "jack-in" to various audio sources with this world-wide standard connector.

So yup, this is a deal breaker to me, I will pull my family away from Apple over this arrogant move.

nikabobriht

Suspended
Jul 12, 2016
Doesn't it bother you at all that you will need an extra peripheral to perform such a basic function?
Sure, but they will provide an EarPod with lightning connector, so the basic function is OK. If I want to treat my ear better, I will go for an earphone with lightning connector, or use my current earphone with adapter. :)

cottonjenn

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
I would really hate no earphone jack. I don't like having the Jack at the bottom and wondering which one has the Jack on top but now I'm hearing no Jack at all. That stinks.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Jury is out for me. I'll need to see what (if anything) replaces it before I get to critical about it.

I might use it as an excuse to not get the iPhone 7 to allow 3rd party peripheral manufacturers to get some products out.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
What kind of adapter does one need to use wire headphones with a Lightning port?

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
No. I use Jaybird X1 (waiting for X3, freedom is a garbage) and Bose QC35. I never ever used wired headphones in my iphone 6s. I'm happy that Apple discontinue headphone jack and add one more speaker. May be they also pay more attention to their bluetooth , it leaves much to be desired compare to their competitors.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
I totally get why people are upset about removing the headphone jack, but it doesn't affect my usecase at all.

Back when I was still in Uni it would've turned me off, but today I'm hardly using the headphone jack anyway. During work I can't listen to music, in my car I'm using bluetooth, for sports I'm using bluetooth because a cable would be annoying and for phone calls I'm using a small bluetooth earset.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
It is a little less than 20 hours lifetime in QC35, never had battery problem. I also have a portable charger for my iPhone, I can use it for my headphones.

My Jaybirds X1 are 1.5 years old. Use them in gym 6 times a week. Before I had to charge them 1-2 time a week, now it is 2-3, but it is better than hang with a cable all the time or have it under a t-shirt. I bought JayBirds Freedom with extra capacity, heavy with a battery clip, returned them and waiting for X3.

I tried Bragi, one ear was losing connection all the time. Also I tried Bose SoundSport and it had static, may be I got defective.

I think when they run out of power they are useless, but my phone runs out of power faster.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It's one of the most important parts of the phone, how is removing a feature a benefit?

It is a benefit if it adds other features or makes other existing features better. Personally I couldn't care less as I only use Bluetooth headphones and never run out of charge. If ever I do I will use a lightning to headphone jack adapter.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There are already a few threads discussing this issue to death. And yet one recent news article promoting a pair of wireless earpods has become another battlefield of debate regarding headphone jack removal.
For me, the answer is simple: I will not buy any iPhone without headphone jack.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
When I first heard the rumour that Apple was going to ditch the headphone jack I thought it was a dumb move by Apple, but then I realized that I don't actually use my headphone jack anymore since I use bluetooth headphones and bluetooth in the car. I get that not everyone's use case is the same and some people will miss it (or choose to keep an older model longer/buy a different phone altogether) so hopefully Apple at least throws in an adaptor.

Reactions: Mr.C

virginiaplain0

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
I have wireless headphones, but if I want to use it wired due to Bluetooth issues, I wouldn't have that ability if I buy the new iPhone 7. I've had to do that with my current iPhone and with other devices. If the rumors are confirmed tomorrow, then I will seriously consider buying a Samsung device, once they fix their exploding battery problem. Most likely, I will wait and see for another year, and if other companies don't put out devices without a headphone jack, then I will buy another phone.

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
Rumor mills are saying a Bluetooth earbud set will be included for the 7Plus.

We'll know for sure tomorrow at 10 AM PDT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.