Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Hi, has anyone tried installing Windows 11 beta on 7,1? I already have Windows 10 installed and when I ran the upgradability check tool, it said since there is no TPM 2.0 installed Windows 11 is impossible.
But I think this can be an error as it seems like Windows 11 supports even older Intel CPU’s, but I might be wrong as this is Xeon processor.
Any experience sharing will be great. Thanks.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The trick that apparently works on the leaked version may or may not work on the actual betas, let alone the actual release version of Windows 11. It's probably best to wait for the official betas next week before conjecturing too much...

Reactions: runebinder

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The trick that apparently works on the leaked ISO may or may not work on the actual betas, let alone the actual release version of Windows 11. It's probably best to wait for the official betas next week before conjecturing too much...

Microsoft has stated that the betas may work on a machine without TPM 2.0, but the final will not.

They could always change their mind though, or Apple could update the firmware to supply TPM 2.0 functionality.

Reactions: tICM

Weisswurstsepp

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2020
... or Apple could update the firmware to supply TPM 2.0 functionality.

No, they can't. TPMs are more than firmware, they require a hardware TPM module which Macs simply don't have. So unless Microsoft decides to remove the TPM 1.2 requirement or a workaround will be found then intel Macs won't be able to run Windows 11.

Edit: I stand corrected.

Last edited:

AppleGeezer

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2021
Newer intel processors support Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT), which is implemented in the processor itself and does not use a dedicated TPM chip. On a Windows machine this is something typically toggled in BIOS. Whether Apple can or will enable this in Bootcamp is another question. Note also that VMWare Fusion can configure a virtual TPM for its guests: see (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-F...UID-317480E5-8478-4284-96DE-3B65387D1592.html).

Reactions: runebinder and tICM

cybercylon

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
Didn't Intel start to integrate the TPM into their chips in the last few years (as per response above).

May not matter for many reasons, one being there is very little incentive for Apple and Microsoft to deal with a niche crowd (yes, I am in that crowd, but I don't expect anything).

Reactions: TMax

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
No, they can't. TPMs are more than firmware, they require a hardware TPM module which Macs simply don't have. So unless Microsoft decides to remove the TPM 1.2 requirement or a workaround will be found then intel Macs won't be able to run Windows 11.

Newer intel processors support Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT), which is implemented in the processor itself and does not use a dedicated TPM chip. On a Windows machine this is something typically toggled in BIOS. Whether Apple can or will enable this in Bootcamp is another question. Note also that VMWare Fusion can configure a virtual TPM for its guests: see (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-F...UID-317480E5-8478-4284-96DE-3B65387D1592.html).

What they said. Apple could probably roll a firmware update if they wanted to. PTT may even be able to be implemented purely in firmware.

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Finally, it has come to be. The longterm future of all well-functioning, Apple abandoned, unsupported Intel Macs is just LINUX. ;)

Reactions: tICM

Kazuto

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2021
Hi, has anyone tried installing Windows 11 beta on 7,1? I already have Windows 10 installed and when I ran the upgradability check tool, it said since there is no TPM 2.0 installed Windows 11 is impossible.
But I think this can be an error as it seems like Windows 11 supports even older Intel CPU’s, but I might be wrong as this is Xeon processor.
Yes I have tried installing windows 11 the leaked version and the new current dev beta, I found a way to by pass that.

Kazuto

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2021
The trick that apparently works on the leaked version may or may not work on the actual betas, let alone the actual release version of Windows 11. It's probably best to wait for the official betas next week before conjecturing too much...
It works for both leaked and betas I have tried, and windows 11 was successfully installed. Plus windows 11 is also functioning as expect with little bugs ( well based on my experience, some issues can occur later on)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Windows 11 won't support the CPU from the iMac Pro. At least, it's not listed as being one of the supported CPUs. I'm pretty sure the Mac Pro does have a supported CPU and that the only limitation you're encountering is that Apple hasn't enabled TPM 2.0 support in their firmware. Unless this crosses wires with the T2 in conflicting ways, this is totally something Apple should be able to enable in a firmware update.

As others have said, all of the CPUs in Microsoft's list of supported Intel CPUs for Windows 11 have integrated TPM 2.0 support. That was a big reason for Microsoft limiting support for Windows 11 to those CPUs to begin with.

Didn't Intel start to integrate the TPM into their chips in the last few years (as per response above).

May not matter for many reasons, one being there is very little incentive for Apple and Microsoft to deal with a niche crowd (yes, I am in that crowd, but I don't expect anything).
Apple wouldn't need to do all that much here. I'd say the effort they put into updating the trackpad driver on T2 Intel MacBook Airs and Pros was more work than merely flipping on the TPM 2.0 switch in their firmware ought to be. I'd be much more worried about drivers support. But then again, it's not like Apple would need to make drivers for anything other than 2018-2020 Intel Macs (as no Mac released in 2017 or earlier meets Microsoft's processor requirements for Windows 11 anyway).

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
Installing is possible, if you unpack the Windows 11-image and extract the file "install.esd" (or install.wim) and displace the same file in same location in an older x64-image.

The hardware-check is executed from the newer installation-setup, so it works (at this time!) w/ older setup. Updates don't affect the installed Win 11.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Finally, it has come to be. The longterm future of all well-functioning, Apple abandoned, unsupported Intel Macs is just LINUX. ;)
To be fair, the same is now true of a lot of PC hardware that MS have just thrown under a bus. Still, Windows 10 will be around until 2025 or so...

Reactions: TimmuJapan

infohou

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
Houston, TX
Please tell me how you installed Win10 on a 7,1. I have tried many methods but have been unable to get it to boot to windows after the first part of the install. Usually says something about not finding the drive or unable to boot the partition. I am installing on the internal 2TB SSD.

BTW, I did start a thread on this and did not receive any help.

Thanks,
Robert

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I think since the TPM is build into the hardware thats already there it would be an easy thing for apple to do to just enable the TPM thats built into the CPUs, at the very least for the officially supported window 11 CPU's. I have a 2018 Mac Mini that meats all the requirements except the TPM right now.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
If Apple does not update the firmware to activate support for the TPM 2.0 standard, no one probably won’t be able to run Windows 11 on it — at least not officially.

The i7-8700B of the Mac Mini 2018 has the TPM 2.0 implemented, however it's not activated.

WhyNotWin11 Tool:

mac mini 2018  tpm.PNG

Last edited:

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Synchro3,

I tried the web site WhyNotWin11.com and got so many warnings about possible viruses etc that I chickened out. Besides, if I clicked on the download button, nothing happened.

Is there a different site I could use?

Tom

PS: Never mind! I got the file at github. The results under VMWare are more negative, as the red boxes not only appear for TPM Version, but also for Boot Method, DirectX + WDDM2, Disk Partition Type, Secure Boot and Storage available. Oh, well...

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Synchro3,

I tried the web site WhyNotWin11.com and got so many warnings about possible viruses etc that I chickened out. Besides, if I clicked on the download button, nothing happened.

Is there a different site I could use?

Tom

PS: Never mind! I got the file at github. The results under VMWare are more negative, as the red boxes not only appear for TPM Version, but also for Boot Method, DirectX + WDDM2, Disk Partition Type, Secure Boot and Storage available. Oh, well...

Here you go: https://www.computerbase.de/downloads/systemtools/whynotwin11/

inooodevil

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2021
Follow these steps to bypass Windows 11 TPM 2.0 requirements:

1. Install Windows 11 via bootable installation media we created via Rufus. If your system hardware doesn’t meet the Windows 11 requirements. You will see the following message stating:
    This PC can’t run Windows 11.
  2. If the above message appears on your screen when installing Windows 11. Press Shift + F10 keys on your keyboard to launch the command prompt window. Type “Regedit” in the command prompt and hit enter to launch the Windows Registry Editor.
  3. Navigate to the following when the registry editor opens: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
  4. Right-click on the setup folder, and from the submenu, select New>Key.
  5. Name the key you created “LabConfig” when prompted and hit enter.
  6. Right-click on the LabConfig key and select New > DWORD (32-bit) value. Name the value you created BypassTPMCheck. Create two more values with the following names:
    BypassRAMCheck
    BypassSecureBootCheck
  7. Now double-click on each value you created and set the date to 1 for each.
  8. After configuring all three values under the LabConfig key, close the registry editor.
  9. Next, in the Command Prompt window, type “Exit” and hit enter to close the window.
  10. Now that you are back at the message stating, “This PC can’t run Windows 11,”. On the Windows Setup window, click the back button as shown below.
  11. Doing so will take you back to the screen, prompting you to select the Windows version you want to install.
  12. Proceed without worrying about hardware requirements and install Windows 11.

if you are still facing problems then you can go to yehiweb and read it with screenshots

Reactions: LEOMODE

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I installed Windows 11 on a PC. It's really awful. I went back to Windows 10. So don't feel bad if your Mac doesn't support it and it's best not to install Windows on a Mac. At least not in UEFI mode because it pollutes the firmware with Secure Boot certificates.

Reactions: Synchro3

damienbutt

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2016
Is there an up-to-date way of bypassing the TPM requirement as of today for updating an existing Bootcamp installation to Windows 11?

I have been trying but failing. Tried all the regedit hacks. They don't work, for me at least.

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
Perhaps it work as described in my posting few month ago. Do an inplace-upgrade instead and disconnect internet before starting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.