Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Is there an up-to-date way of bypassing the TPM requirement as of today for updating an existing Bootcamp installation to Windows 11?

I have been trying but failing. Tried all the regedit hacks. They don't work, for me at least.
Microsoft put out a blog post today - looks like you will be able to manually upgrade a Windows 10 install with an ISO.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Microsoft now listed the xeon processors as eligible for Windows 11. (W3245M, W3275M etc.)

They can't beat apple in dropping bootcamp support ;)
Seems that the supported Xeon processors start with the Cascade Lake family and all 2019 Mac Pro Xeons are supported.

Now seems that the issue is just TPM support, one that Apple can probably solve enabling the internal TPM (PTT) of the Xeon processor.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Please tell me how you installed Win10 on a 7,1. I have tried many methods but have been unable to get it to boot to windows after the first part of the install. Usually says something about not finding the drive or unable to boot the partition. I am installing on the internal 2TB SSD.

BTW, I did start a thread on this and did not receive any help.

Thanks,
Robert
I'm not understanding your question. All you have to do is run the Boot Camp app in Windows and just follow the instruction by Apple. That's how I did it and that's how everyone does theirs.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I installed Windows 11 on a PC. It's really awful. I went back to Windows 10. So don't feel bad if your Mac doesn't support it and it's best not to install Windows on a Mac. At least not in UEFI mode because it pollutes the firmware with Secure Boot certificates.
Just curious, are you saying it was just buggy? Like does it crash and give you error pop-ups? Perhaps a year later from now will get things settled maybe? Windows 10 to me was more stable and better performing than Windows 7 for instance, and I believe Windows 11 will be an even more refined version than Windows 7 and even Windows 10.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Seems that the supported Xeon processors start with the Cascade Lake family and all 2019 Mac Pro Xeons are supported.

Now seems that the issue is just TPM support, one that Apple can probably solve enabling the internal TPM (PTT) of the Xeon processor.
Hopefully, Apple at least wraps up all the final support for loyal Intel Mac users as there are still plenty of them left in the world, especially when Apple is still selling Intel-based Macs when Windows 11 is released.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
What about the 5,1 , does that work with windows 11 ?

It likely won't as it's an old processor not capable of TPM 2.0 in the first place. Below are the only ones that can possibly install Windows 11 officially as long as Apple updates the firmware on them:

• MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017)
  • MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
  • Mac mini (2018)
  • iMac Pro (2017)
  • iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
  • iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
  • iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)
  • Mac Pro (2019)

Reactions: macguru9999

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Just curious, are you saying it was just buggy? Like does it crash and give you error pop-ups? Perhaps a year later from now will get things settled maybe? Windows 10 to me was more stable and better performing than Windows 7 for instance, and I believe Windows 11 will be an even more refined version than Windows 7 and even Windows 10.
I didn't test it enough to experience bugs. I don't like the user interface as well as Windows 10. I don't like the start menu and it is also much more invasive than Windows 10. For example, it forces you to login with a Microsoft account.

My suggestion is to keep Windows 10 if you need Windows for things, but I'll emphasize again that I think Windows should never be installed on a Mac in UEFI mode since it corrupts the firmware. I have Windows 10 installed in a virtual machine on my Mac (VMware Fusion) and it works great.

Edit: Someone in another thread pointed out OpenCore has an NVRAM protection feature you can utilize to install Windows in UEFI mode to prevent firmware corruption, but that's for a Mac Pro 5,1 and maybe a 6,1. I don't know if OpenCore works on the 7,1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Synchro3

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I recently made a windows 10 boot drive for my 5,1. I found that when i took out the other drives and just tried to install onto a single drive that it hangs with a black screen on reboot. It puts a boot partition on the drive (which is why you take out the others) but it does not work. So i went back to the old way... install windows 7, then boot camp drivers, activate , then install windows 10 as an upgrade while booted off your windows 7. That works !! I admit i dont know about uefi etc. but the firmware if definitely not corrupted however.

Last edited:

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I recently made a windows 10 boot drive for my 5,1. I found that when i took out the other drives and just tried to install onto a single drive that it hangs with a black screen on reboot. It puts a boot partition on the drive (which is why you take out the others) but it does not work. So i went back to the old way... install windows 7, then boot camp drivers, activate , then install windows 10 as an upgrade while booted off your windows 7. That works !! I admit i dont know about uefi etc. but the firmware if definitely not corrupted however.
If you don't have OpenCore on it with its NVRAM protection feature enabled then Windows wrote SecureBoot certificates into the firmware. You never want that to happen. To install in Legacy boot mode it appears all you need to do is delete the EFI folder from the install media.

"Remove the efi folder from the root of the Windows PE or Windows Setup media. This prevents the device from starting in UEFI mode."

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
If you don't have OpenCore on it with its NVRAM protection feature enabled then Windows wrote SecureBoot certificates into the firmware. You never want that to happen. To install in Legacy boot mode it appears all you need to do is delete the EFI folder from the install media.

"Remove the efi folder from the root of the Windows PE or Windows Setup media. This prevents the device from starting in UEFI mode."

Well the mac pros are fine, the boot files appear to be written to a partition on the c drive, whatever it deems that to be, so if you leave your mac drive installed then it writes a partition to that which causes a hang on reboot. cloning the mac drive off, reformatting the disk, and cloning back the mac system fixes that problem. But why does the hang on restart (black screen) occur at all ?? presumably its trying to do an efi install which fails, why?, and I agree the older (bios?) installers I have without that efi work properly.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Has anyone successfully installed Windows 11 on your 7,1 now that Windows 11 is officially released? Any feedback or installation process other than stated above would be greatly appreciated.

irvinborder

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2022
If all other method fails, try this method:

Create your own installation media

The steps necessary to remove the "Secure Boot" and "TPM 2.0" requirements error "This PC can't run Windows 11" when attempting to install Windows 11

Obtain the newest available Windows 10 ISO from Micro$0ft; Already have made your Windows 11 USB Installer using Rufus;

Mount Windows 10 ISO;

Find and locate the folder named Sources on the mounted ISO;

Copy all of the files in the Sources folder of the mounted ISO except for install.wim/install.esd;

Navigate to the Windows 11 bootable USB Installer that you have previously created in your File Manager;

Open the Sources folder on the Windows 11 bootable USB Installer;

Paste the previously copied contents/files from the Sources folder on the mounted Win 10 ISO to the Sources folder of the Windows 11 bootable USB Installer, and make sure to replace the files present in the Windows 11 USB Installer Sources folder;

Boot from Windows 11 USB Installer;

Profit from not having the requirements of Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 being enabled in place.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I also successfully installed it by bypassing the TPM method. There were many ways and perhaps the above video is also helpful. I was also able to install the Boot Camp driver by using Brigadier and 7Zip. Make sure to install 7 Zip so it can extract the downloaded files!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.