Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Stemming from another thread, the topic is pretty well covered in the title.

The main worry for photographers is glossy screens, which are purportedly hard to calibrate and lack shadow detail (I say purportedly b/c I've never had problems).

cshale210

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm a photographer and the glossy screen is a bit harder but I think with the LED backlit it will compensate for accurcy

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
I'm feeeling distinctly underwhelmed and was looking to replace my 3yr old laptop. Apple just saved me a bunch of money, as for the price, it's simply not appealing, especially as a BluRay burner [for archiving], is a must have criteria for my next laptop.
Apple seem to be turning into a music selling company with serious computers being of little importance anymore.

line

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
switzerland
glossy

i work with a couple of glossy displays on macbooks and 24in imacs in my studio calibrated with spyder3's. color accuracy and shadow and highlight detail is optimal for our needs and our client's and i'm guessing LED will be better even. so we'll be getting some mbps and acds in the coming months... i vote no.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I think the majority of the computer industry is heading towards glossy displays. The current reaction by some is reminiscent of the transition between crts and lcds.

One more thing: no laptop screen comes close to a good external lcd. So for real critical work, you need to use an external screen anyway.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
The problem to me is the glossy screen. If you have your blinds open behind you, forget it.... Matte works much better in terms of editing and such, but glass protects the LCD much better in return driving the cost of AppleCare down :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Yes they are. I would think that a matte screen could be offered as a build to order option for those that need or want it. Also after reading countless threads the point that no one seems to comprehend or really admit (why I don't know :rolleyes:) is if Apple only offers glossy for the pro's or controls the amount of glossy screens at a 4:1 ratio over matte screens available, Apple is then forcing a choice and not giving a choice for those professionals that need otherwise a matte option.
So again, yes Apple is only considering non-professionals needs on top end equipment and charging a premium price to go with and including the one size (look) fits all concept. The only true hope (later on once the change follows) is that the 17" MBP will offer matte but I really doubt it. All I know is that when I look at one of my photos on my iMac (matte screen) and a few friends Dell's with the screens calibrated to the best that they can be, the photo still looks very similar. The MBP's with glossy screen, just to be fair, I looked at on the glossy screen as of last week when I started looking at the 15" MBP (also the 17") and today again, the screen didn't look close to what I was seeing on matte screens. Also to be fair I was able to try to calibrate the screens in the store (and at home using the same method, again to be fair and close to each) side by side to get an idea (ballpark really) of what could be fine tuned later with the proper tools at home. Again, while I felt this is it :confused: about the screens, I had to take into account that there was less light in the store than say in my PT Cruiser (windows are tinted) while out and about taking photos. I can't imagine those that work like this everyday would be happy with what Apple has now offered or really hasn't offered for the cost amount and level that of the MBP.
termina3
I hope this sticks with your second attempt at this topic and if not just let me know and I will edit out any parts that went south ;)

OreoCookie
I think the majority of the computer industry is heading towards glossy displays. The current reaction by some is reminiscent of the transition between crts and lcds.

One more thing: no laptop screen comes close to a good external lcd. So for real critical work, you need to use an external screen anyway.
I agree with this however showing everyone a $899 glossy consumer based external lcd seems to contradict the whole thing in an odd way.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Yes. this is one more example of the Ipodization of what used to be a great COMPUTER company.

Glossy screens absolutely blow chunks. It's one thing to have as an option for youtube teens who don't know better. It's quite another to sell a top of the line pro laptop with no option for a decent screen.

I was ready to buy the high end macbook pro on this release. My credit card went back into my pocket and will stay there until I get a matte option.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
The problem to me is the glossy screen. If you have your blinds open behind you, forget it.... Matte works much better in terms of editing and such, but glass protects the LCD much better in return driving the cost of AppleCare down
Aaah, thats a positive point about the glass. no more having to scold my ignorant friends not to touch the display :mad:

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
you guys brought up a whole new part of the topic:

now the macbook and macbook pro look almost identical, that personally annoys me(i think they are fugly) what happened to making pro gear clean, simple and silver? I just dont think i would be too happy showing my client her images on something that looks exactly like what she just bought.

ok am i going to far now?

what do you guys think?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was ready to buy the high end macbook pro on this release. My credit card went back into my pocket and will stay there until I get a matte option.

I'm sure Apple ran the numbers and found that for every professional who puts his CC back in his pocket there are five teenagers with parents who will buy their kid a MBP to be used as a media player/game console. Apple is just running with the numbers.

Bill Gates got rich by making just one smart observation: There are more people who know nothing about computers than computer experts, I'll sell to the larger group. If you remember the computer business before Microsoft then you know that only computer experts bought computers, "Joe Sixpack" had no use for a computer back in 1979. Gates was smart to go after that huge untapped market and he knew that you don't sell to that non-expert market with logical arguments about technical features. No you have to make the sale using the techniques of a used car saleman. Apple has finally figured out what Gates knew back then - Go after Joe.

Seriously, Apple's problem is that they can't offer the breath of hardware options the PC side can. There is just no way they can offer 50 models of notebook computers at every price point. They just have to go where the numbers are.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'm not sure if I could live with the glossy screen, but for sure the removal of FireWire from the MB's is an EVIL move. Apple's market segmentation policy is hideous. I'm still using my old Cube only because of the lack of commercial applications for Solaris and Linux.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I'm sure Apple ran the numbers and found that for every professional who puts his CC back in his pocket there are five teenagers with parents who will buy their kid a MBP to be used as a media player/game console. Apple is just running with the numbers.

Bill Gates got rich by making just one smart observation: There are more people who know nothing about computers than computer experts, I'll sell to the larger group. If you remember the computer business before Microsoft then you know that only computer experts bought computers, "Joe Sixpack" had no use for a computer back in 1979. Gates was smart to go after that huge untapped market and he knew that you don't sell to that non-expert market with logical arguments about technical features. No you have to make the sale using the techniques of a used car saleman. Apple has finally figured out what Gates knew back then - Go after Joe.

Seriously, Apple's problem is that they can't offer the breath of hardware options the PC side can. There is just no way they can offer 50 models of notebook computers at every price point. They just have to go where the numbers are.

I'm sure you are exactly right, and that's what they are paid to do. As a shareholder, I guess that's a good thing. However as a customer, I'm very disappointed.

The bigger question is that we already have a company going after joe - that's MS. I would think trying to mimic MS is not in apple's best long term interest. But then again, if I was as smart as they are, I'd be worth a lot more than I am....

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The did leave the professional user in the dust.

The glossy display thing is really for people that missed a step in photo class. It's a moot point that is beaten to death by the countless that learn photography via the Internet.

The real disappointment is the lack of professional connectivity. Just FW800 and 2 USB ports standard. The Express Card bus is going to be used heavily for many pros now. ESata, FW800/400 ports, maybe even DVI now that we have this BS mini display port.

Either way, I was really hoping for built in eSATA and at least two FW800 ports if they were going to axe FW400. I am very glad that it's built stronger now, but can't we get a break with this thinness bu!!$h!t? I hope the 17" becomes the new true pro machine and Apple builds a unibody that can hold two HDDs and two FW800 ports.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
now the macbook and macbook pro look almost identical, that personally annoys me(i think they are fugly) what happened to making pro gear clean, simple and silver?

Yeah, the new look doesn't do for me either.

I just dont think i would be too happy showing my client her images on something that looks exactly like what she just bought.

ok am i going to far now?

Maybe a tad. It's not as if you clients wouldn't buy a MBP as well. But if your clients think less of your skills because your gear looks too "amateur," educate them with an Ansel Adams quote. "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.":cool:

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008

I think this might be more telling of a market shift. Apple may be eschewing the 'Pro' market entirely, which might be not bode well for FCP and the like.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
From a non pro point of view, I have seen ads etc showing the glossy screens, they look nice, but that doesnt make them any better. As to the change over, if the shift is permanent then the market will follow and you will get the equipment required to calibrate etc. Though obviously it might be difficult to get the new accessories now as opposed to in a year or two. (life on the kinda sorta bleeding edge)

Re the ports, I am on board with those wanting more re firewire. I think Apple could do a better job in the Pro market, for all the time I have been in the computer industry Apple was always the brand for video/photography, there were always some rebels out there but Apple was it. Now they seem to be heading towards just another mainstream pc maker.

In regards to the cost factor, it would appear to be pretty simple. If Apple continued to make a true MBPro the pros would happily buy the product at the premium price because it was a no compromise solution that they could rely on. Even in a smaller market you will get a loyal following for a no compromise solution.

I thought the whole point of a "Pro" model was to offer a premium product with all the bells and whistles, basically a very portable Mac Pro.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
It's not just professionals that Apple has abandoned. They've abandoned the the entire Apple creative community, from hobbyists through professionals. They've stripped their laptops down and made the line leaner to maximize profits. Apple is now producing computers designed to appeal to consumers of content rather than people who actually create content.

Apple's pursue of non-excellence will only get stronger unless enough of the creative types complain (politely) to Apple via their product feedback forms, via snail-mail letters send to Apple, and the like...

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
The real disappointment is the lack of professional connectivity. Just FW800 and 2 USB ports standard. The Express Card bus is going to be used heavily for many pros now. ESata, FW800/400 ports, maybe even DVI now that we have this BS mini display port.
I agree that Apple should've added more ports to the MBP. eSATA is becoming so common, and more Firewire/USB ports would have been welcome. But I don't agree with you on DisplayPort. It's a new industry standard that's compatible with DVI and VGA, all you need is an adaptor. Another nice thing about it is that it transfers both audio and video on a single cable.

The glossy display, on the other hand, is just hideous. But I'll reserve my final judgement until I see it in person.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I agree that Apple should've added more ports to the MBP. eSATA is becoming so common, and more Firewire/USB ports would have been welcome. But I don't agree with you on DisplayPort. It's a new industry standard that's compatible with DVI and VGA, all you need is an adaptor. Another nice thing about it is that it transfers both audio and video on a single cable.

The glossy display, on the other hand, is just hideous. But I'll reserve my final judgement until I see it in person.

Display port YES...

Mini Display Port NO!!!!

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
It's great, whilst trying laptop out, I was able to readjust my hairstyle. Obviously designed with multitasking in mind, now the girls will be able to do their makeup whilst chatting on facebook before going out with their mates and chaps, if you use an electric razor you can shave and surf now.

Trackpad is actually very nice though. Though the default settings as usual are dreadful.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It will be really interesting to see what happens with the Mac Pro. If it too becomes short on muscle and long on bling, then the message to pros will be clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.